It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2004, 07:10 AM   #1
(female)

spotty HB User
What is hyperviligance?

What does it mean? I have been trying to search for more info on the web but couldnt find much. Thanks for any info.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2004, 04:10 PM   #2

Marrisa HB User
Re: What is hyperviligance?

Hi Spotty. I don't have a technical definition for you, but can tell you some of what I know. Hypervigilance is when you are on guard or super alert to an extreme. Like, waiting for something bad to happen and being ready for it just in case it happens. I've had a lot of trouble with hyerpvigilance just 'cause of my childhood being such where I felt I had to be super careful and alert to keep myself from getting hurt. Even though as an adult I don't need to be like this anymore, I struggle with it 'cause I'm jsut kind of programmed that way now.
Hope that helps. You could look for DSM IV for the definition on the web probably.
Marrisa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2004, 05:38 PM   #3
(female)

girl3900 HB User
Re: What is hyperviligance?

I agree with Marrissa. It's basically being on the lookout all the time for any possible danger.

Closed Thread