It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2004, 01:40 PM   #1
Inactive

pfunk HB User
I read something today that kinda made me feel better...

I was reading something about rape trauma syndrome on the internet. I couldn't say off-hand where I found it. At first it made me cry a little bit, perhaps because I have experienced many many people like those described, but it seemed to explain it in a way that made me understand why and how people can treat me so shittily sometimes.

They were talking about the types of experiences that can bring about PTSD. As I am sure we all realize there are sufferers of PTSD who have been through natural disasters and there are others who have developed PTSD as a result of the evil doing of other human beings. They say that oftentimes those who experience natural disasters receive a greater degree of sympathy than those who are the victims of abuse or maltreatment at the hands of other humans. In the natural disaster context, there is a connection between human bystanders and the human victims that facilitates the expression of sympathy from one to another. However, in instances like rape, when there are human perpetrators and human victims, society has a problem facing and reconciling the tension of their feelings toward each party because there is a shared sense of humanity between the bystanders (society), the perpetrator and the victim. Morally, people know that they cannot sympathize with both. Many people, thus, choose to sympathize with the offenders because the offenders simply ask that society feel nothing. However, the victims of rape and other traumas require that society share their pain. This is why so many terrible myths about rape are perpetuated and the victims may go without support from certain people around them.

On some level it helps me understand the way people are and makes me feel less like it is me being rejected when no one seems to care about what happened to me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread