It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2004, 11:17 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

stuckmissy HB User
Looking for advice for a friend

I have a friend, and he is almost certian he has PTSD caused by various tramatic events, I don't know what they are but he has some symptoms that I would say are definietly caused by anxiety. He is looking at seeking answers maybe seeing a proffessional but not for another year because of his job. I'm worried that left untreated he may suffer longer. I'm also conserned that his symptoms will become worse and if anything happens in the next year he will be under so much pressure and stress it will cause severe mental anguish or change his behavior. I've looked for information but it's all very clinical I was hoping that other who can really related to what he's going threw can help. Any advice someone here can give me so I can give him would be greatly appriciated and it would be practical to him as apposed to "clinical advice". Please help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2004, 06:12 PM   #2
(male)

Patrick428 HB User
Smile Re: Looking for advice for a friend

{REMOVED} I suffer from it as well having served two tours in Vietnam. {REMOVED}

PTSD is an equal opportunity disorder that is caused by experience(s) beyond ordinary human ability to tolerate. Things such as crime victims, war veterans, sexual and physical abuse are but a few ways it occurs. To my knowledge there are some 44 characteristics unique to PTSD. Mainly depression, anxiety, panic disorder, paranoia, and obessesive compulsive disorder are but a few. One thing one must realize with PTSD is that it is only one of two memory-based disorders, the other being dementia.

Talking through the stressor along with appropriate medication, and a good suppor group goes a long way in managing PTSD. There is no cure for PTSD regardless of what a friend or another person states. It will be with you for a lifetime. And during that lifetime you will have ebbs and flows relating to the experience. Common are nightmares, startled responses, reliving experiences, hypervigilence, and flashbacks. They are frightening, but with good support, they are tolerable. I suggest a good support group, therapy, and a regimen of medications to take the edge off PTSD.

Patrick
{REMOVED}

Last edited by ms_mod; 12-09-2004 at 06:09 AM. Reason: Please don't make any statements about yourself that may add undue weight to your opinion. Please read the posting rules.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2004, 01:02 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

stuckmissy HB User
Re: Looking for advice for a friend

Thanks for the info. I think I may tell him about these boards I don't know if he would be insulted by that but maybe he will feel free to ask questions and share what's going on with him.

Old 12-10-2004, 06:16 PM   #4
(male)

sgt207 HB User
Re: Looking for advice for a friend

I have it too - from a serious incident when I was a cop.

Tell him to get help for it.

Closed Thread