It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2004, 09:12 AM   #1

vikkiS127 HB User
Question PTSD medications

I have been told by my doctor a couple of months ago that I have PtSD. I also have high blood presure. 175/110 on the myocardia it is 145/97 still a little high but the doctor saus we can live with that. I am also on Lexapro which makes me sick. So now is has me on effesrt XR 25 mg to work up to 75 in a couple of wees. Then he also put me on xanax until I can get back on lexapro. All these drugs confuse me and ZI worry about the xanax. I am sleeping bettr and no dreams or at lest no bad dreams.
But my hand and feet are still very hypersensitive. It feels like everything I touch is hurting me. Silverware like a fork feel like it is cuting into me. Walking on crumbs is like walking on glass. I tell myself that these things are not really hurting me but I can't even wear shoes becaue that hurt. I have a pair of big slippers that is all I can wear. This just sort of came on me all at once. My husband broke his neck 2 1/2 years ago and I have been his care taker, and I really don't mind. I liove my husband and will do everything I can for him. He is not paralized but does have problems and he will never skydive again or train our horses...which we sold. But he can walk and get around and even though there is perinate nerve damage I have my best friend and he is starting to do the things that he can and taking some of the pressure off me...so why now with this PTSD. And will the xanax really help, that drugh scares me form all the things I have heard about it. I told my doctor about this and he said I am only going to be on it for a couple of month until I can get back on the lexapro. What does any one think...any thoughts that mi8ght help me Please thak you all love you Vicki

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-25-2004, 10:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

woodfaery HB User
Re: PTSD medications

Well I am kind of surprised that the doc put you on Effexor. My thoughts would be that you would have been put on Zoloft, or something like that. When are you at 175/110?The 145/97 is a little high on the systolic number. The bottom number isnt too bad. Still I would mention Zoloft and Celexa to the doc, they are tolerated a lot easier on the body with less side effects. Why are you going off of Lexapro and getting back on it when you are taking Effexor? You may want to ask your doc if you can take an antidepressant such as Zoloft, or Celexa and also be given a prescription and you would use it only in emergencies...such as xanax, or ativan. It just seems very strange to me that you would be put on Effexor and Lexapro at the same time. Have you gotten a second oppinion? You may want to consider it, and see what another doc has to say. Hope I was of help. Let me know how this all works out for you, Ok?

Closed Thread