It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2004, 05:09 AM   #1
(female)

trucky HB User
I need help--night terrors for 8 years!

I was recently diagnosed with PTSD, I'm in therapy and take 25mgs of zoloft.
I have had a breakdown 2 yrs ago and am very sensitive to meds. I live alone and have had night terrors for 8 years. I go days without talking, and a trip to the store is a major issue. Now that I'm talking to my therapist about death phobias--immediate family member deaths, translated into my sickness and death phobia--I am having a relapse into night terror with nausea, confusion, like I'm losing my mind or will die, headache, etc, etc. How on earth does someone who lives alone, has death phobia, and night terrors recover? I'd like a whole lot of different feedback from everyone. Thanks a million, Trucky

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-22-2004, 08:41 AM   #2
(female)

littleone101 HB User
Re: I need help--night terrors for 8 years!

I really wish I could tell you I've recovered from the nightmares and night terrors.. but I haven't. I usually only sleep a few hours a week but I guess a person gets used to that little amount of sleep.
Pretty much the only time I can sleep well is if I"m sleeping with someone. Like when I curl up with my boyfriend or something like that. Just knowing there is someone there for if I wake up is great. and knowing he'll wake me up if I jump or something so the nightmare doesn't go far.
I know it sounds pretty childish but I sleep with a stuffed animal who "knows all my secrets and my fears" so its helpful to have someone to talk to when I wake up from one. And plus it smells like my boyfriend so that's even better. Its very comforting... also falling asleep to someone reading to you helps alot too.
Anyways, I hope that helps and its possible I got completely off topic, if so sorry. But I hope things get better.
~Mel

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-22-2004, 11:53 AM   #3
(female)

larpoll HB User
Lightbulb Re: I need help--night terrors for 8 years!

Hey, I'm new here and this is my first reply to a post. I totally relate regarding the night terrors/nightmares. I don't think anyone really understands how intense and debilitating they can be. I developed a sleep/dream phobia thanks to the extremly violent nightmares I have. I don't think there is an easy solution.

Some of the things I have found helpful are:
Sleep with a nightlight - it's important not to confuse your natural body clock. I slept with a light on for ages but a nightlight is better biologically for your body - I can go into the theoretical basis for this if you want to know.

I read a book by Babette Rothchild called "applying the breaks" - from her advise I developed a "nightmare protocol". It is something that I practice everyday and run through when I go to bed. It helps for all sorts of things including panic attacks and when you have specific triggers like flashing blue lights. For the nightmares I basically tell myself what I am going to do if I have a nightmare. It helps because I am often disorientated and traumatised when I wake up. I have specific things I do...such as ... I will look at the clock - I will see my night light and I will know I am in my room. I will tell myself it was a bad dream. I will feel my watch on my wrist and know I am safe now. Once I know I am safe I will focus on my breathing" Basically you tailor it to yourself.

Avoid sleeping tablets - they are very addictive and create more problems. They do not solve the underlying problem - only give a quick fix. If you do need to take them only take them for a couple of days.

Keep a dream journal and talk to your therapist about them. Dreams are often the subconscious trying to work somthing out. Are there any repeating themes.

If you have the same dream over and over - write it down, think about it during waking hours....give it a different ending or a new direction. This can help to reduce the intensity and change the dream.

Try to go to bed at the same time every night and get up the same time. Keep bed for bed...don't watch tv or read in bed (sex is ok)

Try relaxation techniques....breathing exercises. The more you practice the better you get. A quick one is a yoga technique - breath through your nose. Breath in deeply and slowly so that your tummy rises and breath out slowly so that your tummy lowers. Imagine breathing in through your left nostril and out through your right nostril. Do it 5 times and then swap nostrils. It is a quick way to slow down and focus on your breathing.

Don't eat/drink/take anything with caffeine in it or other stimulants....eg. no coffee or coke after 3pm.

Don't read or watch anything stimulating or violent before bed....eg. crime shows on TV, war coverage, news.

Get a comfortable pillow!!! Memory foam pillows are great.

Just some thoughts and suggestions....probably nothing new...just things that have helped me.

Old 12-22-2004, 09:21 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

hillaryb HB User

After years and years of getting better and getting over the past, I find that my nightmares remain, and if anything occur more frequently--almost every night. They are so traumatic, they leave a stain on my day and can ruin my mood. Any day where I am irritable and argue with my husband is usually a day that has followed a really bad dream. I dreamt that one night my brother died in a crash, and the next night (same dream) my father died, and my mother was not upset. I had to hide and hysterically cry for them before being around my mother. I dream (alot!) that the world is ending,and me and my children are running from "bad guys-monsters" who are taking over everyone. My husband is usually in those dreams but is not with us and I have bad and distrustful feelings about him in these dreams (he is not there for us).

I dream of dying alot (I had cancer and probably think about death more than most people) and of being attacked, of attacking others like my mom, brother. i dream that I am in a group setting and everyone hates me (if my husband is there, everyone likes him and hates me, and he hates me too) I dream that my children die. I have vague dreams most nights in which I have some huge task to complete (more like a journey) and it is stressful and frightening and mundane at the same time and it leaves me with an overall negative experience. I dream that I drive hours away and cannot get home (this happened alot after moving 6 hours away with my family recently). I dont know. My dreams are always bad. I hate the "hangover" they create, but am always relieved in the morning. Ive had some pretty awful things happen in my life, but things have been good for a long time now. I had ptsd from cancer, and rape (both within short times of each other) and went through many years of anger and bad behavior. I havent been angry in a long time. I do not fear men like i used to and I usualy feel pretty safe. I dont think Im dying--cancer was cured and I stopped fearing its return.

PTSD is an ugly ugly thing, and it took me years to feel human. However, my dreams seen like they will always be bad--I wonder if this is it for me-nightmares for life!

Old 12-24-2004, 04:43 AM   #5
(female)

trucky HB User
What about the shivers?

I woke up 3 times tonite with shivers so bad like I couldnt get warm. Is this just the medication I'm tapering off (zoloft)? Is it something else? Help

Old 01-09-2005, 03:45 AM   #6
(female)

liljezz2008 HB User

I havent experienced 8 years of night terrors but Ive had them before which is bad enough. My doctor started my on Prazosin, great medicine. No longer do I fear waking up because I think my rapist has a gun at my head. I can sleep with no worries. The only bad thing is you have to watch your blood pressure and thats it, not too bad huh?

Old 01-24-2005, 07:35 AM   #7
(female)

kimberlymar HB User

i have been suffering from post tramatic stress disorder for years, i am very sensitive to medications so the antidepressants thing never worked with me. I get night terrors so bad i wake up covered in sweat shaking terrified and paralized. I could not take it anymore and about 3 years ago my husband could not either i went and talked it over with my doctor and she put me on Neurontin. It is normaly used for seizers but is also used for tons of other things. I could not belive it it worked. I am sure everyone is different but this worked for me. First they tried a few anti depressant which did not, but when they got to this one. I still cannot beleive it. maybe you could tell your doctor about this post see what he says about you. My night terrors stopped.
like i said everyone is different but i felt i needed to share. i truely hope this helps.

Old 01-30-2005, 05:30 AM   #8
(female)

trucky HB User

Thanks for the Info--i got a Rx for Neurontin and it depressed my breathing, which is one of the things that trigger my waking in the nite. it also prevents me from working, and i am my sole wage earner. How do I use Neurontin so it doesnt affect me this way?

Old 01-30-2005, 08:21 AM   #9
(female)

kimberlymar HB User
Smile Re: I need help--night terrors for 8 years!

Hi, i use neurontin at night before i go to sleep. i take one or 2 pills they are 100 mg each my doctor say that is a really really low dose. i have medication reactions to everything. i cannot take zolof paxil and thing like that at all.
and my night terrors were so sever i was scared to go to sleep i would stay up all night and watch tv because i was afraid to fall asleep. i would let my kids sleep in my bed and camp out on my floor so i would not be alone. my husband now sleeps downstairs bacause i was keeping him up with the tv and the light on all night. i never had the breathing problems or any sleepyness nothing. please check your dose. my night terrors did no stop a little they went away gone. to me it was a miracle. I have had a very hard life and have had mulitple tramas. so when they stopped i was floored. i hope this helps maybe there is another medician in the same catigory as nerontin ask your doctor. or see if he had you on a dose that was to high. i know it is used for seizers and the dosing for that is like 1000 to 2000. i hope this helps kimberly

Closed Thread