It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2005, 05:31 PM   #1

Pandakaity5 HB User
Question...

Hello, I know that I have left a lot of posts, but I really would like to know about this one. After I was attacked in 5th grade, the mother of the student coded him IEP. The school now is too afraid to get him in trouble at all, because they don't know the exact laws of it. I highly doubt though that if someone is stalking to someone just to intimidate them then that is within the law. Does anyone know? I dont think its right now he is not getting in trouble for something because of this law, because I don't see why it would make a difference who you are if you went after someone, either way its wrong. I would really like it if somebody knew anything about this, because I think that things are getting a little bit out of control.
Thanks for reading this!
Kaity

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2005, 09:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kiehn HB User
Re: Question...

Kaity
I dont know what IEP means, but obviously it was something that prevented or
scared the school from taking action against this childs actions towards you. This
is so common everywhere, I had the same problem with the grade school my chidren attended. I pulled my children out and home school them for a while, but not everyone can do that. The bottom line is life is not fair. Then I think would I
rather have been the child that stocked and intimated others (how miserable this
child must be inside, what has life done to him to push him to this extent) or would
I rather be the victim someone that still has kindness, caring and compassion
in their heart. I choose to be the victim. If I can feel kindness, caring and compassion
I can also give it. Without out it would I become just another stocker.

I want to thank you for your post because as I sat thinking about it, the answer
came to mind. I dont know if it will help you but it did help me. My past my not be
fair, but at least Im still able to care.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2005, 05:49 AM   #3

Pandakaity5 HB User

Thank you very much! Its people like you that help me get up everyday and be strong. You did help me, everyone does. Every little bit of effort that everyone puts forth counts. So thank you very much!

*~*Kaity*~*

Old 01-17-2005, 06:51 PM   #4

pawned HB User

Again what is IEP ?

Old 01-17-2005, 08:14 PM   #5

Pandakaity5 HB User

An IEP is an Individualized Educational Program, but I have tried to look stuff up, and there has been nothing on it about harrassment. I highly doubt though, that it would let a student cause harm on another student.
Kaity

Old 01-18-2005, 05:37 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

valleygurl HB User

Panda, I am not familiar with what has really happened to you, however, i do know about IEP's. Just because a child has an IEP never never gives them the right to hurt someone or give them a license for wrong doing!!! My suggestion, if this child did something totally terrible and the school will do nothing about it and you suspect it is because of the IEP, you need to dig deeper where this childs IEP is concerned, find out if this child has a behavioral plan written within the IEP. Chances are, he probably does and if the school is reluctant to do something about this child more than likely the school has basically been NOT IN COMPLIANCE with what has been written within the IEP. State laws say that if a child has an IEP the school's MUST follow it. I will tell you, people just wouldnt believe how many schools fail to adhere by what is written in the IEPs and parents just dont know how much trouble they can get the school in for not doing so. I would suggest that if you dont get anywhere with the school, you need to contact the state disability office, express your concern about what happened and tell them that you feel the school was and has not been in compliance with the child's IEP and the state laws say that once this office has had just 1 complaint they have to follow up on it and do a full investigation of that particular school. If you need any more info just let me know, i will help you as much as i can. Good Luck! ValleyGurl

Old 01-18-2005, 02:05 PM   #7

Pandakaity5 HB User

Thank you very much Valleygurl! I will take what you have said under consideration!
Kaity

Closed Thread