It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2005, 01:39 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User
Question Another "Do I have PTSD?" post.

I was diagnosed with "severe" depression in 1988 when I was 20 years old. I'm 37 now. Yesterday I saw my psychiatrist about my meds (I'm on Effexor) and happened to tell him about some of my recurring dreams, and he said it sounds like I have PSTD more than depression. I don't really agree, but I thought I'd check it out. My best friend DOES have PTSD, unquestionably, and my symptoms are nothing like hers.

Specifically, my doctor said that my recurring nightmares and my panic attacks point to PTSD. Now, it's not that nothing traumatic has ever happened to me, but all the most traumatic things I've been through have been as an adult, and I've been depressed since I was 5 and having panic attacks since I was 17.

I've noticed a lot of people here have trouble remembering things, but I don't. I have a very good memory, going back to when I was only two. I remember the first time my mom hit me, and also the frist time she hit me and didn't apologize, and I know that I was already severely depressed before those things happened. So I didn't have an ideal home life, but I also was never afraid and there was no one in my life whom I felt threatened by. In fact, I have never lived in any situation that felt unsafe to me.

So, any thoughts? Does this sound like it could be PTSD? Does it even matter, treatment-wise?

Old 02-26-2005, 11:42 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Bob A HB User
Re: Another "Do I have PTSD?" post.

Yes it matters treatment wise. You sound more depressed than having PTSD. I know this might not sound like much , but, look at all the good things you have in life and all those that are worse off than you are.
Do you ever loose track of time and reality? Do you ever cry for no reason at all? Do you feel insecure about yourself? I do. I have PTSD from an accident that almost killed me. The best meds I take when I get an attack is "Atarax". Also known as "Hydroxyzine". I am also on Xanax and Lexapro.
Be brave and tell yourself that you are special. You are someone put on this earth for a purpose. Maybe you can help others through your life experiences. Maybe a kind word or a gentle hand.
God Bless You Dear.

We all need each other to get through life.

Last edited by Bob A; 02-26-2005 at 11:46 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2005, 12:33 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob A
Do you ever loose track of time and reality? Do you ever cry for no reason at all? Do you feel insecure about yourself?
When I'm not on my meds I cry for no reason, but that's also common with depression. No, I don't feel insecure. I'm like the only depressed person in the world who doesn't feel insecure, for some reason.

Thanks for your input. I also think I'm more depressed than PTSD, but I want to check everything out.

Old 03-05-2005, 08:08 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Bob A HB User

I just stopped in to see how you are doing Crossbow. Hope you are well and doing fine. You mentioned memory loss. I also have memory loss but it's only for short term memory. I can remember things that happened weeks and even years ago, but I have trouble remembering things that just happened only minutes or even seconds ago.
Talk to you later.

Closed Thread