It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2005, 02:04 PM   #1
(male)

nickyboy HB User
weird hearing distortion,getting worse

hi every one.

dont know if any of u can help me at all or give me any advice.

ive had tinnitus in my left ear for about 13 years now,im 26 at the moment.on december the second last year it increased in loudess,but also seemed to change pitch.then a few days later i heard a sort of whooshing noise in my right ear,(dont know if that was also in my left ear cos of the existing tinnitus).then i noticed that when a car went past it sounded funny.like at a certain point it got distorted.since then its deterioated rapidly and it aint stopping.when im watching the telly now its like an echo,especially when theres like people clapping.ive also noticed this in a shopping mall.water sounds like a high pitched noise over it,and things like a kettle boiling just echo.this is in both ears.i went to see an ent,they said my hearing was within the normal range,i just cant hear really quiet sounds.but the thing is the noise of the eustation tube working has also changed.that echos too.and that is really annoying.i dont klnow what is going on and i just want to know if any one else has suffered this or knows what it is at all?

Old 03-06-2005, 08:37 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Bob A HB User
Re: weird hearing distortion,getting worse

Have you ever had a serious accident or traumatic event happen in your life? I have ringing in both ears soooo loud that sometimes I can't stand it. I have PTSD and RSD (Reflex Sympathetic Dysrtophy)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2005, 12:07 AM   #3
(female)

it never ends HB User

Hi Nicky Boy

Do some research on Meniere's disease.

Then try the low-salt diet. Give up all 'fun' food and only eat like a 'cave man' for a week or two. That means plain protein, no salt, no spices, no condiments. Plain fruits and vegetables, plain potatos, and rice. Everything must be as plain as if you were camping out and had to find your own food. And I don't mean at the 7-11!

If your symptoms resolve, then it might be that either tinnitus, or Meniere's disease (which is helped by a low salt diet) is the problem.

Try an antihistamine or Dramamine. Those also reduce the fluid in your ears. Be careful. I had your symptoms for years, and then I started getting vertigo. That is a terrible thing!

Anyway. Meniere's disease and tinnitus are made worse by stress. So that is the connection to the PTSD. When you are stressed, your hormones change, and your ears retain fluid.

You need an ENT who knows about Meniere's disease and tinnitus. You can have one or the other, or both. Get help now before you start losing your hearing! Take this seriously.

Look up Meniere's disease support groups, and tinnitus information. Avoid salty foods. Don't fly on an airplane or go to high altitudes until you get some relief. Good luck.

Old 03-14-2005, 04:20 AM   #4
(male)

nickyboy HB User

it never ends u say had my symptoms.have they gone now?

Old 03-14-2005, 08:13 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Bob A HB User

Nickyboy,
I'm not sure I know what you mean. ???

Old 03-30-2005, 08:11 PM   #6
(male)

survivin HB User

yeah i agree. see an ENT. i have had tinnitis for many years and one day things got really strange. after seeing an ENT i found out that a hair was brushing up against the eardrum distorting all the sounds. he removed it, and its back to the regular old tinnitis

Closed Thread