It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2005, 11:32 PM   #1
(male)

agk1999 HB User
Could Ptsd Really Be Controlled

I Have Post Here A Few Times And Thank The People For Reading It And Giving Their Opinions On It.

But I Wonder Everyday Can Ptsd Really Be Controlled I Mean One Can Not Blocked The Thoughts Nor Act Like The Past Never Happened.

I Confronted My Parents About My Childhood They Were Deeply Sad About What I Witnessed And Were Sorry. I Just Feel That Thats Not Enough For Me. So What Am I Looking For????

Thanks For Reading

Old 03-14-2005, 08:24 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Bob A HB User
Re: Could Ptsd Really Be Controlled

I really don't think PTSD can be controlled 100%. I try to avoid what causes my problems and tell people that certain things and places that bother me don't bother me anymore. I only tell them this so they don't think I'm off. It's hard enough living life with past memories that cause me to freak out. I try not to let my friends and family know about my deeper inner fears.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2005, 05:57 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Location: Minnesota, just moved from California where I lived my whole life.
polarized13 HB User

Hi Everybody,

I haven't posted here before because I have been so busy dealing with other issues in my life, bipolar disorder, and chronic pain management, I guess this pesky PTSD that I was diagnosed with last year just didn't seem so important. I was just skimming down the board, and this thread caught my eye today.

I can relate to this post because in my case, as long as I am focused on other things, the flash-backs don't bother me, and I am pretty much ok. When my psychiatrist wanted me to work on my auto-biography last year, I started having panic attacts, flash-backs and night terrors. So I just stopped working on it, and it seemed to get better. I also changed my meds to help me sleep and feel more relaxed.

I hate to think that I will never be able to really deal with all my old traumas, and put them behind me because I can't get past that point. But then like I said, I have had other things to worry about, and I have a family to take care of.

I am going back into therapy next week, so these issues are likely to surface again.

Anyway, I don't even come close to having any answers, but I would love to hear any advice that some of you may have concerning this.

take care everyone,

~heather~

Old 04-06-2005, 11:42 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Bob A HB User

Heather,
Don't bring up the past unless you have to. And you don't have to. Believe me when I tell you the best is to focus on the future.
I understand what you are going through.

Old 04-06-2005, 01:59 PM   #5
(female)

tinybug HB User

ok don't bring up the past. it's still in your mind even if it doesn't come out your mouth. it still makes you cringe. it still makes you cry. it still makes you wonder why did i get beat unconsious, and then woke up in a mud hole. then have a shotgun to my head as a teenager. oh but don't bring that up. it might hurt someones feelings. i'm sorry i got upset.

Old 04-06-2005, 07:08 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Bob A HB User

Whose feelings do we hurt most of the time besides our own?
There are some normal emotions we all experience caused by trauma. Others who have had similar experiences have found these feelings frequently to be temporary. Such normal negative feelings as we may suffer come in different stages. Initially, we may go into a state of shock. We feel numb and dazed. It helps to cope in this stage by keeping busy. We may become anxious and panicky. Some common signs are: nervousness, trembling, dizziness,
inability to slow down or relax, pounding heart, inability to concentrate,
trouble breathing, inability to sleep properly... It helps to admit that we have these feelings and to talk to someone about them. It is very important to re-establish routine activities. Often times we may become angry. We are often bitter about everything and irate at everyone. It helps to express this resentment properly. We can channel this energy by keeping busy and focusing on day-by-day plans. We may become sad and blue. Most common signs of this are:loss of appetite, fatigue, restlessness, hopelessness, worthlessness, withdrawal, etc... It would help to keep in touch with other people and remind ourselves that we are not alone. You are not alone either. We want to help and be your friend. That's all.

Old 04-06-2005, 08:50 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Location: Minnesota, just moved from California where I lived my whole life.
polarized13 HB User

Hey Guys,

I can see where all of you are coming from. The thing is, if we dont reconcile the things in our past that make us who we are, then how do we know these things aren't going to sneak up on us at some point and bite us in the butt. (So to speak)

I mean, I don't know if any of you guys are parents, but I sometimes find myself yelling at my kids, (like I used to get yelled at) and I don't even realize I'm doing it right away, its just kind of something inside me from my childhood. How do I fix it if I ignore it? Does that make sense?

I have a mood disorder also, so that may have factors, but I think as far as parenting skills, we should deal with our 'stuff', sort it out, so that we can move on with our lives without all the baggage. This has been what I have read and been told by many, many therapists over the years, and it makes sense to me. But I wil be darned if I can actually make myself do it.

Not trying to start a major controversy here, just a friendly conversation about it. In my case, my traumas were mostly due to domestic violence stuff, I saw terrible, abusive things happen to others in my family. But never was beaten myself. I can imagine that is in a whole different category of trauma.

Best wishes to all of you,

heather

Closed Thread