It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2005, 07:54 PM   #1
(male)

VE VET HB User
PTSD Therapies?

I'm a Vietnam Era Veteran thus far diagnosed as a borderline PTSD patient. As soon as the VA has a better chance to put me under their microscope, I'll know more. Until then, stress has started to hit my heart in a bad way with a rapid and uneven pulse rate. A recent hospital ER trip called for an emergency check to see if my heart had any clogs. None. My heart checks out great for someone my age. The docs were more concerned with the stress factor. Enter now, the early PTSD diagnosis.

Seeing that it takes the VA nearly forever to get anything done, I'm looking for over-the-counter herbal remedies to calm my wild heart (rate). Do any of you have any suggestions? I'm not big on the tea idea but if it means some sort of respite, I'll go for it.

Thanks in advance.

VE VET

Old 03-30-2005, 08:05 PM   #2
(male)

survivin HB User
Re: PTSD Therapies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VE VET
I'm a Vietnam Era Veteran thus far diagnosed as a borderline PTSD patient. As soon as the VA has a better chance to put me under their microscope, I'll know more. Until then, stress has started to hit my heart in a bad way with a rapid and uneven pulse rate. A recent hospital ER trip called for an emergency check to see if my heart had any clogs. None. My heart checks out great for someone my age. The docs were more concerned with the stress factor. Enter now, the early PTSD diagnosis.

Seeing that it takes the VA nearly forever to get anything done, I'm looking for over-the-counter herbal remedies to calm my wild heart (rate). Do any of you have any suggestions? I'm not big on the tea idea but if it means some sort of respite, I'll go for it.

Thanks in advance.

VE VET
hello, i have had severe ptsd for about 4 years now. i have had some help from aroma therapy-the part of the brain where flashbacks and such are generated, is also responsible for sense of smell. i also have been using an alpha-stim. electronic device that was used for gulf war vets. it helps bring calm your brain/thinking. and vitamins directed at helping the adrenal system(the adrenals seem to kind of overload when put under to much stress for to long) as is the case when you are in combat. hope that helps a little. oh ,,also, the tea didnt seem to help me. but i think every one is different

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2005, 06:00 PM   #3
(female)

RedandRed HB User

Quote:

Thanks in advance.

VE VET
Dear Vet:
Please read "Trauma and Recovery" by Judith Lewis Herman. The psychotherapy is the best. There are new methods: lights, aromatherapy, and so on, that can speed things along. In the end, though, psychotherapy is key.

Old 04-18-2005, 03:54 PM   #4
(male)

smc612 HB User

hi i was diagnosed with ptsd 5 years after my 21 year old daughter died from a tragic car accident. i now have diabetes, asthma, multiple food and upper resp allergies and anxiety attack that send me reeling for hours. i had to leave work early today because i was so agitated for no reason. i see my md tomorrow. the level of stress in my life is unbearable and never ending. i would have to lock myself in the house to get rid of any of it. any advise?

Old 04-27-2005, 02:16 PM   #5

selfcare HB User
Lightbulb Re: PTSD Therapies?

hi,
the thing is to get rid of cortisone, and what it is that is causing it to
be produced. exercise helps get it out of the bloodstream. turning
the adrenals off on a regular basis helps train them to calm down and stop
putting it into the bloodstream. turning them off/down, is partly a
mind training, partly in the body. its called the relaxation response, the
opposite of the flight or fight response.

there's a professor at harvard named herbert benson who has done a lot
of work on bringing the idea of the relaxation response to the public.
we can cultivate this by practicing a meditation behavior for 20 minutes
(or more) once/day. if you don't want to take pills, this will help. it
is not going to be a sudden and immediate remedy, but will slowly have
an effect over time. meditation can include any form of sitting meditation,
tai chi, yoga, or qigong. most of these are very cheap, often free. but
are not as easy to do as taking a pill as they require effort and self discipline.

the other thing that can help is to look at the areas of your life where
new anxiety is, and trying to become aware of it so that you can make
changes. some of these will be easy, some not.

there is a therapist in menlo park, CA - the menlo VA is the center for
mental therapies I think, that has developed a rapid eye
therapy that is supposed to help clear up the trauma, they have you
remember the trauma in a lot of detail, and then do this eye movement
stuff. supposedly, it works quite well. the trick is tha tyou are supposed
to have emtional support for when you are doing this outside the
sessions. in our american culture of rush rush rush and stoic independence,
not an easy thing to come by.

Old 04-27-2005, 02:44 PM   #6

selfcare HB User

Not to sound too much like a dillhole researcher... truth is,
love melts fear. Finding love, real love, can help the heart rate,
and it canhelp the longer term, too.

Love can be in community, it can be from a husband/wife. Trust is a huge issue.
Cultivate relations where there is trust. If there is not trust, drill into that and
find places where there is, including owning what behaviors you may be bringing
into a relation.

Herbal over the counters... what works for one person may not work for another,
each of us is as individual as a snow flake. If you can, get to an herbalist or
acupuncturist. They will be able to look at your situation individually. My personal
sense is that when things are serious, its good not to guess by trying things.
You can collect what worked for one person or the other. There is a class of
herbs called nervines in western herbology, including things like kava kava, skullcap,
hops, etc. They have a calming effect, but as with anything you take, you must
be aware of any side effects that come up. An herbalist can tell you how much,
how often, and if it will affect any other condition you currently have, etc.

The book by Balch and Balch, is a good resource.

Old 04-30-2005, 04:21 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

Quote:

Thanks in advance.

VE VET

Sounds like anxiety that accompanies PTSD. My brother was an Viet Nam vet and his life ended last year from Agent Orange. Have u been checked out thoroughly, thyroid, diabetes, etc. These can make the heart race. If ur fine with all that, then anxiety makes the heart race but it won't kill u, just makes u feel like ur dying or freaking out. Chamomile tea is soothing and relaxing. R u in therapy? Do u feel the heart races when ur thoughts are on the move, or a flashback of any kind? Does it happen all the time or occasionally?

Andrea

Old 04-30-2005, 04:25 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel54
hi i was diagnosed with ptsd 5 years after my 21 year old daughter died from a tragic car accident. i now have diabetes, asthma, multiple food and upper resp allergies and anxiety attack that send me reeling for hours. i had to leave work early today because i was so agitated for no reason. i see my md tomorrow. the level of stress in my life is unbearable and never ending. i would have to lock myself in the house to get rid of any of it. any advise?
Oh I know exactly how u r feeling. Have u tried Psychotherapy for ur PTSD? Also, how old r u? could it possibly be that u r feeling a bit of perimenopause or menopauise. IF u had a hysterectomy at an early age, it has nothing to do with biological menopause. I hope u feel better so soon. I too go through parts, but try to move on. I had therapy for about a year, but will go back soon, still many issues.

Old 05-04-2005, 09:01 AM   #9
(male)

charlodius HB User

Cognitive behavioral therapy saved my life.

Old 07-10-2005, 11:11 AM   #10
Inactive

kerry1 HB User

I believe that I have PTSD that started in childhood. I'm not a war veteran, but you don't have to be. I've heard of something called ERMD? Not sure about the spelling, will check it out. It's a kind of hypnosis treatment that I'm planning to try. I'm finding that large doses of EFA (essential fatty acids) like fish oil, flaxseed oil, and borage oil supplements are extremely helpful in keeping me calm. Don't take large doses of cod liver oil - too much Vit. A. I've heard that magnesium is good for rapid heartbeat - my Dad takes something called Slo-Mag which you can get over the counter. I'm not taking magnesium right now because I'm waiting on a kidney diagnosis (major source of stress, I can tell you).

Old 07-10-2005, 07:42 PM   #11
Inactive
(male)

GR8HARE HB User

I believe you all are referring to EMDR which stands for "Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing". It is a clinical treatment that has successfully helped individuals who have survived trauma, including accident victims, Vietnam & Gulf War vets, as well as 9/11 first responders.

Old 04-16-2007, 11:12 PM   #12
(female)

kscott1 HB User

Hi there,

I don't know of any herbal remedies, but I'd like to help any way I can... When that happens, does getting out of where you're at at the moment it happens help? Perhaps stepping outside and just shutting everything out until it stops?
I can't blame you for going to the hospital, it's pretty scary-- I hate when it happens to me.
Also, regular walking or some other physical activity can help control anxiety... It can make a huge difference.
Can you talk about the events that caused some of these symptoms? I wonder if that may help you, if you could talk with someone you trust that will simply listen and provide support and encouragement.
Hon, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you-- I hope that the VA can figure out the specifics and that you can get to feeling well.

Old 04-25-2007, 10:00 AM   #13
(female)

vickie98531 HB User

First, I would like to compliment you for being proactive in your search for peace and good health. This can be difficult under the best of circumstances!

I have found that a combination of therapies provide the most benefit in cases similar to yours. The most healthful approach is one that would incorporate diet, nutritional supplements, activity and the "giving back" factor.

A diet of whole, non GMO, organic as possible type foods is paramount to the recovery of well funtioning mental and physical health. We can heal ourselves of many contributing ailments associated with PTSD simply by eating more healthily. Your mind and body will be exponetially more receptive to additional therapies if it is well nourished. Avoid fast foods at all costs.

An excellent vitamin supplement is vital towards regaining clarity and calm. The best ones to look for are ones that are whole-food derived, rather than synthetically replicated. Go to a good natural foods store and ask for help. Other supplements that are helpful could include L-Theanine (which is currently being scientifically researched for its use as an alternative to ADHD and ADD drugs. I have had excellent reports back from the people who use it. Research it for yourself. Its the best anti anxiety therapy I've used personally). Rhodiola Rosea is another anti-anxiety herbal that has been used for centuries to relieve the heart-pounding reaction to stresses as well as creating a calmer feeling. Ther are many, many non-prescription remedies available today. Do some research, see a good Naturopathic Dr. and get to know people who have knowledge of these things. Beats being depressed and doing nothing but suffer - at the very least!

On a more personal level, I have found that "giving back" has been one of the most rewarding therapies I have used. I, too, suffer from PTSD. It has been THE ongoing motivation to regain my own health( I couldn't find anyone with sufficient knowledge that wasn't just writing prescriptions) as well as that of any others I have had the opportunity to come into contact with. It took 3 years of diligence regarding my personal health to achieve a place where I was able to move on to becoming educated enough to help others who were suffering as I had. It affords one with an extremely rewarding feeling as well as a constructive way of filling in those spaces of time that can be, otherwise, more difficult - and less rewarding - to fill.

As you probably know well, isolation and misunderstanding surround our condition. Especially with the general public. What these folks don't realize, is that PTSD is a condition that effects almost as many of them as well as those who have seen battle or war. Therefore, it should be considered something worth their attention and consideration. Severe physical abuse & heavy drug abuse see the most prevelant diagnosis of PTSD in those not militarily affiliated. These type of therapies can work wonders for all of us.

I wish you good luck and good health. Try to remember to Do Unto and pass it on too others every chance you get.

Closed Thread