It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2005, 05:17 PM   #1
(female)

Diane15218 HB User
Question diag with PTSD in 2003

Hi, I am Diane and was diagnosed with PTSD in Oct 2003. I had anxiety attacks for two weeks str8 and admitted myself to the local psych hospital for a 72hr eval.

How I was diagnosed?...I had encountered a highly abusive marriage, encountered numerous family deaths, abuse from my ex-in laws and being physically sick. I have been in treatment for this since Oct 2003 and am on Zoloft, Klonopin and Trazadone. I still have nightmares and flashbacks. I do go to therapy and to see my psychiatrist but the flashbacks and nightmares still stick with me...

Do the nightmares and flashbacks eventually go away? If so, when?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2005, 06:55 PM   #2
(female)

littleone101 HB User
Re: diag with PTSD in 2003

Hey.
Welcome.
I"m with you on the when do they go away... I've been suffering a long time.. well I guess to me it feels like a long time when its only been a year since I've confronted all this but I still have nightmares and flashbacks alot. But I've found some things help to have them less, like no caffeine and I sleep with a nightlight and a stuffed animal, umm... going to sleep at the same time everyday with comforting music helps too.
That's all I can say. let me know when you find out when they go away. Cause I"d love to know too.
God Bless.
~Mel

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2005, 04:05 PM   #3
(female)

Diane15218 HB User
Unhappy Re: diag with PTSD in 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleone101
Hey.
Welcome.
I"m with you on the when do they go away... I've been suffering a long time.. well I guess to me it feels like a long time when its only been a year since I've confronted all this but I still have nightmares and flashbacks alot. But I've found some things help to have them less, like no caffeine and I sleep with a nightlight and a stuffed animal, umm... going to sleep at the same time everyday with comforting music helps too.
That's all I can say. let me know when you find out when they go away. Cause I"d love to know too.
God Bless.
~Mel

I am a caffiene free woman. Also, today I just found out my ex-husband lives near me. Makes me more scared. More flashbacks and nightmares. I sleep with a lot of pillows and teddy bears. I don't know what's happening anymore.

~D

Old 04-24-2005, 08:27 PM   #4
(female)

KatherinePerez5 HB User

Hi,
When I was little I was raped by my uncle and grandfather for years and was diagnosed with PTSD. I went through self mutilation, an eating disorder, a suicide attempt and I got pregnant before anybody found out I was going through anything at all. It took me lots and lots of therapy and work before the flashbacks and nightmares stopped. What worked for me was getting on a scheduale, like the person before me said. A part of PTSD is having your life dissrupted, and having a routine helps that.
Although I know you want a quick answer, and everything to go away right now, I'm sorry to say that it dosen't. All of this did not start over night, therfor it will not go away over night. You have to find what works for you. For me it was my children (when I got pregnant, I got pregnant with twins), and showing my uncle and grandfather that I was a stronger and better person than they were. PTSD is a VERY difficult thing to go through, and to survive anything that brought you into an illness like this makes you an amazing person. Making yourself suffer is just a way of showing your ex and everybody else that they hurt you. I know, and trust me I DO UNDERSTAND, that it's hard, but try to focus more on what you can become of this, instead of what happened. I think you will be amazed at what you can accomplish.
If you ever need someone to talk to, I am on here many times a day, will try to understand whatever you say, and will reply .

May God bless you,
Katherine

Old 04-26-2005, 12:56 PM   #5
(female)

bjm32 HB User

Hi, all I can tell you is what was told to me. The flashbacks will get "easier" to handle, they will become "less intense". I am still waiting for this to happen (for myself) but I hope that offers you a little encouragement!

Hang on! It sure is a bumpy ride.......B

Closed Thread