It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2005, 09:30 AM   #1
(female)

Jo-chan HB User
Question - Do I have PTSD?

Hi all,

My husband recently suggested that I may have PTSD and I don't know much about it, so maybe you can look this over and tell me what you think.

I am kind of jumpy and am scared easily. I think I've always been this way to some degree, but hubby thinks it's gone beyond normal. Occansionally he will walk into a room and I don't hear him, so that when I turn and see him it startles me. (He gets very upset and takes it personally, saying that I shouldn't be startled because I know he's there in the house.)

A few times recently I screamed when I was startled. Once was in the middle of the night when hubby was coming back to bed. He'd gotten up while I was sleeping, then when I woke up and saw someone walking into the room, it scared the crap out of me. I guess I was still half-asleep and thought he was still in bed with me. Another time was when we were pulling into the driveway after dark. We were getting out of the car and suddenly I saw the sillouette of something behind the car, just a few yards away from me. It seemed that before my brain had even finished processing this information, I screamed. (Turns out it was a stray dog.) My scream scared hubby to death and he berated me for screaming and kept saying how he couldn't understand why I would scream like that.

I don't understand it either. Honestly, I have no control over when I get startled. I did have something very traumatic happen about 4 years ago, so maybe this is the culprit. What do you all think?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2005, 01:13 PM   #2
(male)

survivin HB User
Re: Question - Do I have PTSD?

i have had severe ptsd now for about 5 years. i do have a real problem with what they call an "exagerated startle response".(the jumpiness). the symptoms you describe certainly follow some of my own problems. but the only real way to get it diagnosed is by going to a Dr.(therapist) but in my opinion. past trauma+now jumpy and scared. i think its something worth investigating. especially if its effecting your life in a negative manner like that. also, it is super hard on family members because there is no outwardly reason for the behavior change. my wife has stuck by me through this horrible disease. but in the beginning. i think she thought i was faking or something. and there were arguements and problems arising from it. now however she is very understanding and supportive. but she has received alot of information on the disease as well as even talked with my therapist a few times/ best bet is see a DR. good luck on this

Closed Thread