It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2005, 07:01 PM   #1

Pandakaity5 HB User
Talking I have a question..

OK, so for the most part I am over my PTSD..except for today I witnessed an accident of a motorcycle getting hit by a truck, and my sister ended up calling 911..I am not sure..the memory won't leave my mind of the guy getting hit and his leg all bloody and gross..could this cause my PTSD to go stronger again?

Thanks for reading this,
Kaity

Old 08-01-2005, 11:45 AM   #2
(female)

blonde_girl HB User
Re: I have a question..

What has happened to you is one of my biggest fears. I was diagnosed with ptsd after unexpectedly finding a friend dead who had been shot in the head. I know live my life in fear that I will see something horrible again in my life. Can I ask what caused your ptsd in the first place? If not I do understand. I think if this were to happen to me I would get through it but I think it would elevate my symptoms again since I have gotten better. I think it would matter what kind of event happened to you to originally cause your ptsd, to say whether this will affect it.

Later...blonde_girl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2005, 04:23 AM   #3
(female)

dusangpyong HB User

I've had PTSD for several years now and I understand what you are going through. The answer to your question is "yes". From my own experiences and the experiences of people I know, PTSD is one of those lifelong problems that can crop up again years after the last episode.

Old 08-05-2005, 06:11 PM   #4

Pandakaity5 HB User

Sorry it took me to get back to you for so long. I have been busy. But I was attacked by a fellow student in fifth grade. And then I was taunted by him and his friends all of fifth grade, half of 6th, 8th and 9th.

Old 08-06-2005, 06:56 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

SandraM HB User

Its sad the brain is so apt to remember pain then something positive. Sure would be easier if it was the other way around. Are you taking any meds for this Pandakaity5?

Old 08-08-2005, 10:30 AM   #6
(male)

smc612 HB User

hi everyone! i was diagnosed with GAD 30 years ago. 2 years ago i was diagnosed with PTSD 6 years after my 21 year old daughters death. just 3 months ago i had an episode at work that i couldn't remember and had to leave work. on the way home i couldn't remember where i lived or how to get there. went to see my dr. thinking is was my diabetes. it was not. he assured me that it was the PTSD and that i actually blanked out even though i was at work wide awake. i immediately contacted a thereapist and luckily was put with one that specializes in PTSD. within 4 sessions i started to understand the disease and am still after 10 sessions learning what my triggers are and how to step back and think before i react. i have 2 other grown daughters and two grandchildren. my biggest fear is that something will happen to one of them because it has been proven to me that things like this can happen in my family also. everyone thinks they only happen to someone else. when my 26 year old goes out at night i worry constantly. my oldest and her family just went away on vacation. i had an alter on my tv with their pictures and candles the whole time they were driving. i know in my rational mind i cannot prevent any of these things from happening but i still go into a panic until i hear they are safe. will it ever go away? from what i am told,no. but there are ways to keep it under control. i hope i helped.

Old 08-08-2005, 10:53 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel54
hi everyone! i was diagnosed with GAD 30 years ago. 2 years ago i was diagnosed with PTSD 6 years after my 21 year old daughters death. just 3 months ago i had an episode at work that i couldn't remember and had to leave work. on the way home i couldn't remember where i lived or how to get there. went to see my dr. thinking is was my diabetes. it was not. he assured me that it was the PTSD and that i actually blanked out even though i was at work wide awake. i immediately contacted a thereapist and luckily was put with one that specializes in PTSD. within 4 sessions i started to understand the disease and am still after 10 sessions learning what my triggers are and how to step back and think before i react. i have 2 other grown daughters and two grandchildren. my biggest fear is that something will happen to one of them because it has been proven to me that things like this can happen in my family also. everyone thinks they only happen to someone else. when my 26 year old goes out at night i worry constantly. my oldest and her family just went away on vacation. i had an alter on my tv with their pictures and candles the whole time they were driving. i know in my rational mind i cannot prevent any of these things from happening but i still go into a panic until i hear they are safe. will it ever go away? from what i am told,no. but there are ways to keep it under control. i hope i helped.

Hi Angel, seen you on the menopause board. Actually, I think I just posted to you there. I have PTSD also from a car accident 3 years ago along with the perimenopause, yikes! I am a mess at times. Lost my brother two last year. Post Trauma and menopause do not go well at all.

Andrea

Old 08-08-2005, 11:12 AM   #8
(male)

smc612 HB User

you are right andrea.the 2 do not mix well. i have had a hard time knowing which is happening. menopause(i did read your reply,thanks) i can deal with as long as the lexapro helps with the darn night sweats and i can sleep. the ptsd is different and my biggest problem. certain triggers and believe me i don't always see them coming will put me in a state where my mind leaves where i am and i don't know it until i realize i don't remember anything for a few minutes. it's called dissasociation(i can never spell) it right. i have gotten rather practiced at it and don't even know i do it. the 2 biggest things my therapist has given me is when i start to feel panicked to step back and pay attention to where i am, who i am with and what is going on to make me feel panicky.the 2nd is safety(physically, mentally and emotionally) physically i am always safe and mentally i believe my mind is strong enough not to let anyone in but emotionally i am a wide open book. that's where i am learning how to protect myself and keep myself safe. i have picked a few people that i am safe with in regards to my daughter's death and when i feel a little shaky i try to be closer to them. it has helped a lot just understanding the disease and some pointers on how to deal with it.

Old 08-08-2005, 08:44 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusangpyong
I've had PTSD for several years now and I understand what you are going through. The answer to your question is "yes". From my own experiences and the experiences of people I know, PTSD is one of those lifelong problems that can crop up again years after the last episode.

One of the reasons it reappears is if and when you experience trauma again, it sets off all past traumas. this is what happened to me. Whew!

Old 08-08-2005, 08:46 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel54
you are right andrea.the 2 do not mix well. i have had a hard time knowing which is happening. menopause(i did read your reply,thanks) i can deal with as long as the lexapro helps with the darn night sweats and i can sleep. the ptsd is different and my biggest problem. certain triggers and believe me i don't always see them coming will put me in a state where my mind leaves where i am and i don't know it until i realize i don't remember anything for a few minutes. it's called dissasociation(i can never spell) it right. i have gotten rather practiced at it and don't even know i do it. the 2 biggest things my therapist has given me is when i start to feel panicked to step back and pay attention to where i am, who i am with and what is going on to make me feel panicky.the 2nd is safety(physically, mentally and emotionally) physically i am always safe and mentally i believe my mind is strong enough not to let anyone in but emotionally i am a wide open book. that's where i am learning how to protect myself and keep myself safe. i have picked a few people that i am safe with in regards to my daughter's death and when i feel a little shaky i try to be closer to them. it has helped a lot just understanding the disease and some pointers on how to deal with it.
How are you? Really I am glad to see you here also. So did you have therapy for PTSD? Are you taking anti-depressants or anti anxiety meds? Just curious. I like talking to people like myself and I like to share experience.

Andrea

Old 08-09-2005, 05:45 AM   #11
(male)

smc612 HB User

andrea you and i seem to have alot of the same problems. i am having a hard time navigating the forums and remembering where i have been. any advise? i was diagnosed 2 years ago with ptsd 6 years after my daughter died. i have taken every ad on the market and have had really bad side effects. i am very sensitive to meds. i have taken klonopin for about 3 years. i take 2 a day when i am really bad. usually after 2 weeks i can just take the 1 at night and then within 2 weeks i can stop them for a while until something triggers the trauma again. i am hoping that the 5mg. of lexapro helps the menopause symptoms and the ptsd. might have to still take a klonopin at night on occassion. yes i am in therapy. for about 10 weeks now. that has been the biggest help in keeping the attacks under control. i have learned to step back when i feel it coming and pay attention to what is going on and to keep myself around people that are safe emotionally for me.therapist told me to slow down and think before i react. how about you? what have you done to take care of this? it doesn't go away but you can keep it under control. all of my dr.s want me to quit smoking, i have tried several times always to go back. it is not something tops on my list right now. it would just stress me out more.

Old 08-09-2005, 06:18 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

SandraM HB User

I have had PTSD since I was a child. The abuse I had to live with was unreal. Now I have meopause, thyroid disease, and PTSD, plus my husband committed sucide many years ago, plus I have other problems. So I can understand the stress issues with everyone.

Old 08-09-2005, 09:15 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraM
I have had PTSD since I was a child. The abuse I had to live with was unreal. Now I have meopause, thyroid disease, and PTSD, plus my husband committed sucide many years ago, plus I have other problems. So I can understand the stress issues with everyone.
Yes, stress hits us more so than anyone else, except people with other anxiety disorders. Thyroid alone is hard to deal with. And then meno, whew! WE can overcome PTSD, there must be a way.

Andrea

Old 08-09-2005, 09:19 AM   #14
Inactive
(female)

SandraM HB User

Usually a long slow process for sure especially when dealing with so many health problems.

Old 08-09-2005, 10:29 AM   #15
(male)

smc612 HB User

you are all soooooo right. not only is there the ptsd(which i strongly believe you can keep under control with the right therapy and the right meds) but then you go into menopause and really think you lost your mind. i also have diabetes and the constant worry about everything i eat and when i eat is another stress. i have it controlled through diet and no meds which is great, and i would like to keep it that way. not easy when i travel or am out. so i feel really limited now which also stressses me out. sometimes i feel my freedom ended the day i was diagnosed with diabetes.

Closed Thread