It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2005, 06:57 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Picali HB User
Any advice appreciated

Hi there

New to the board - would appreciate the input of others who have PTSD. I've suffered from depression for a number of years along with other kinds of 'disorders' and been diagnosed with various mood disorders. I've been doing a lot of research and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder seems to tick a lot of boxes with me, more so than any of the mood disorders I've been diagnosed with in the past. I've been having therapy for the last seven years and feel very well now - as a result most of my 'symptoms' appear to have gone (at least for the time being). What I wondered was the severity of the trauma that is usually suffered? I lost my Dad when I was young and was abused by my step-dad until I left home at 17. Some of the info I've read says this may result in PTSD, other literature sighted much more severe experiences such as war and witnessing extreme violence etc. I just wondered about the experiences of those of you who have the condition and what you think/know triggered it off.

Many thanks in advance

Janine

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2005, 07:37 PM   #2
(female)

Meg1968 HB User
Re: Any advice appreciated

I think its different for everyone. In Oct 04 Myself and My then 4 year old where diagnosed with PTSD after a car accident. WHen I was putting my boy in his car seat he jumped out and into front knocked the car out of park and as we were on top of a hill car flew backwards, child thrown around car, I was dragged by car along ground and through brick wall. Child afterwards was uninjured would you believe, by traumatised. However at counselling when we were looking at some of its issues it appeared he may well have had PTSD before the accident. I lived with his dad and his dad was verbally abusive, he was I believe on the verge of a breakdwon and screamed all day all night at me and I am not exagerating. During therapy it became apparant that this triggered the PSTD. Eventally with sandtray therapy, time love and help from child pshychologists child is doing ok but has taken a long time and a year later still some problems. My PTSD came from the guilt that I could not stop the accident occuring. Others I have known come from various things. I guess it depends how traumatic the event is to us. Some people have a huge accident but recover and everythings fine, others get PTSD. Hope this helps in some way good luck
M

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2005, 02:34 PM   #3
(female)

angelblue65 HB User

Hi Picali,

I don't know if you remember me from the BP Board. You often replied to my posts so I had to respond to yours here.

Please read something I just posted for someone asking about EMDR - it is the best kind of therapy to assist with people who have PTSD.

I hope this is helpful for you. And as far as triggers, it can be a number of things, sometimes so small or insignificant that you are not aware of.

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=334345

Good luck to you!

Angel

Old 12-01-2005, 05:42 PM   #4
(female)

lissylou10 HB User

hi janine, i'm new to the board too. i know that my pts does indeed result from my abuse as a child. as i read your message, i could relate to you. i was exploited and abused by my mother. ironically enough her name was also janine. i felt i just had to reply. i was just diagnosed but i have had severe mental issues for years. self mutilation and substance abuse. if you'd like to chat let me know.

Old 12-29-2005, 07:06 PM   #5
(male)

survivin HB User

hi, i was diagnosed with severe ptsd in 2001. i think its not really how life threatening or traumatic the event actually is. but how you perceive the event. an example is. you get held at gun point. but the gun is never loaded. even though you have no danger of being shot. your mind says you are in mortal danger. so i think darn near any bad event can give people the horrible ptsd symptoms. it just depends on the individual. anyway. thats just an opinion. i hope you can find some relief. its not easy

Closed Thread