It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2005, 05:02 PM   #1

austin4 HB User
EMDR Question

Has anyone done EMDR counseling for trauma? Will try to make this short ..

Two and a half weeks ago our evening started out quite normal..my son and husband had a typical teen(16)/dad argument over some silly thing; my husband got more upset than I felt he should as he had asthma and got so upset that my son stormed from the house saying he needed to take a drive to cool off. I had only just gotten home and was annoyed at both of them so went to the back of the house to change from work and check e-mails. Not more than 15 minutes later I come out and my husband is laying on the floor, being a big man I was unable to roll him over and freaked when I saw his face was blue and I was unable to get a pulse..I called EMS and then my son , my son beat EMS and we both tried desperately to revive him - my son was frantic that he be able to save his dad as they hadn't made up which they always did. I believe now he was dead immediately as the autopsy report showed he died of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy which we were unaware he even had. He was only 54 so when EMS learned that there had been an argument an investigation ensued, the police literally turned my home into a crime scene, ending with taking my son and I downtown at 2am for statements, they had practically accused us of hurting my husband; I share this so you can see the triple whammy inflicted on my son after just losing his dad. Victim services said he should get EMDR counseling as soon as possible. He started this past Saturday. Has anyone used this for intense trauma? What can I expect? I've researched and it does indeed sound effective but if I should do more I need to know as I fear the long term effects this will have on my son. The EMDR counselor said it's more effective if done immediately so she is optomistic , I certainly don't want this turning into Post Trauma Syndrome. Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2005, 01:30 PM   #2
(female)

angelblue65 HB User
Re: EMDR Question

As soon as I read your post, my heart sank. My God, I am so so sorry for your loss. I had to respond because I go to a therapist for EMDR. Although I do not have PTSD, it is most effective with individuals suffering from trauma and I highly recommend it. It also assists to "move things that are stuck" - meaning, any issue that is causing a repetitive pattern in your life is usually based on something learned as a child. EMDR helps shift learned behavior and has been really helpful for me.

It's great that your son is already under this type of care. But your question as to what you should be doing - have you thought about this treatment for yourself? Your concern for your son is most admirable but don't forget that you have gone through something traumatic as well. Please don't forget to take care of yourself!

Old 11-04-2005, 02:50 PM   #3
(female)

blonde_girl HB User
Re: EMDR Question

I have been doing EMDR therapy for the last 2 years for ptsd, it has been the only treatment that has helped me. My PTSD stems from an event that happened 2 years ago--a good friend of mine committed suicide (gunshot) and I found him in his livingroom and had to call 911 and his family. I would definately recommend EMDR therapy. I didn't think it was working for me until the nightmares, and easy startle factor started to fade. If it doesn't work at first just give it a chance, it does take some time, but in the end it is definately worth it. If you have any more questions about anything just feel free to ask me.

blonde_girl

Closed Thread