It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2005, 10:37 PM   #1
(male)

green4191 HB User
war screwed me up can risperidone help?

I was prescribed risperidone after coming home from gulf(middle eastern gulf that is). I can't control myself lately and it doesn't take much to set me off. Anyone know if this stuff really works for anger and anxiety?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2006, 08:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

jenn.e HB User
Re: war screwed me up can risperidone help?

Are you still active duty? If not, have you filed a ptsd claim with the va?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2006, 04:32 PM   #3
(male)

mohouse HB User

I dont know anything about the risperidone, but I am in the same boat as you. Lately my PTSD has been worse. I can not control myself sometimes. I have tried seeing a shrink and have been on zoloft, wellbuturin, and zanax. Zoloft really made me go nuts big time. I went crazy on that stuff. I went into a state of askastatia and had to take zanax to calm down. Wellbuturin made me into a socio path (not literally) but close. Zanax is great short term but when you come off the stuff your left screwed because your body no longer has this magic pill. So your left more anctious and stressed than before.

Counseling didnt help me a bit. I have seen several Pshychiatrists and I found no releif. It seems the only peace I have been able to find is when I am single. I can not seem to have peace with another person. Life just seems to be so dark since some time after my experience in Afghanistan. since than I have not been able to be together with someone. I am stressed out all the time. I need answers to why I am so dam screwed up in the head. I really need help too because since the war my relationships with people in general have been very limited. My work is stressing me out like crazy. i have a very demanding boss. I work some of my weekends away and I cant handle myself like I used to.

I feel like a walking time bomb. Meds dont work for me. The only one that does is Zanax, but it is a temporary fix. I want something permanent. If there was a pill that worked and I could take for the rest of my life and did not need to up my dosage all the time, I would take it. Does anyone have any advice?

I really am feeling quite crazy sometimes. I dont know how to handle myself and am afraid for myself and others around me. Is there anyone out there who has PTSD and found peace. I go from 0-100mph at the drop of a hat and the frequency of it is increasing more and more. I feel like this cycle will never end. I feel like I am doomed to die a sad ending. I feel like it is inevitable that I am going to have one of those tragic endings that you hear about on TV. I dont want to die but sometimes everthing is just to overwelming. In my current state of mind, I am not suicidal but when the incredible hulk comes out I sware if I had a gun I'd shoot my self in the head.

I am really interested in hearing someone else who has gone through what I have and stoped the 0-100mph syndrome.

thank you

Old 01-17-2006, 08:41 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

curiousforever HB User

Hey. Saw this thread...I probably can't really help...but I wanted to let you know I have faith that you can get thru this. Somehow mine got back from over there before the war so I don't have a clue....

I know there are a ton of meds that might work...if one doesn't - there is another that might. I'm sure there are many people out there that really love the both of you.

I'll check back on you. Hugs and prayers...

Old 02-04-2006, 04:25 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

StephanieAnne HB User

Mohouse

I read your post, and even tho I have not been in war, I suffered PTSD for 25 years due to childhood sexual abuse. I know exactly how you feel, the highs and the lows, the feeling of despair, of when is this all going to end, the hopelessness, the depression. There is help and if it fixed me, then it will fix you.

You need to find a PTSD therapist, one who specializes in PTSD. Those type of providers have specific techniques to help you get thru all your pain. It may take time and it may be the hard, but if you want to have a normal life then this is the road that you should drive down.

Reading your post made me remember how all that was, gosh it ran my freaking life, it was getting to the point that I couldn't drive in traffic on the highway, I was so afraid all the time, worried, and anxiety, I had so much anxiety that I called it nervousness, because I didn't know what anxiety was, I used drugs and liquor to help me cope, those being self prescribed drugs

Now how to find a provider, I have heard from other posters that the VA is the not best place to go, so you work, do you have health insurance? If yes, then ask your dr if he/she knows of any PTSD therapists, or go to google and do a search like using the name of your state and PTSD providers or the name of your city and PTSD providers. Or use the Phone book and once you find a provider, call them and ask questions, how long have they been doing this? do they know the techniques to use to help you, and if you start with someone and you are uncomfortable then move on, don't feel obligated, it is your $ and your time. These providers they are out there, a psych or regular therapist doesn't have the tools that are needed to help you get the pain out and put it away, where you are in control and not the PTSD.

I hope you check this board again, I hope you find someone to get you back to you, you pre Afghanistan
Steph

Old 02-20-2007, 11:17 AM   #6
(male)

tazmanian devil HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by green4191 View Post
I was prescribed risperidone after coming home from gulf(middle eastern gulf that is). I can't control myself lately and it doesn't take much to set me off. Anyone know if this stuff really works for anger and anxiety?
Hey man
in my opinion Risperdal can help but it's kind of a lobotomy in a pill and you'll get real fat.

Old 02-20-2007, 03:20 PM   #7
(male)

gunnerb52 HB User

If you feel the medication isn't helping either the dose is to low or it just isn't what you need, check with your doctor and see what they say, if it is a VA doctor beaware that from my experince they seem to overmedicate so be careful. As for therpy check with othere vets they will know who is trustworth and who to avoid. if you get service connected rating high enough they will pay for a civlian doc for you even in some cases, they pay for me any way. When it comes to meds ask questions and expect answers if they don't have time then it might be time to look else were..

Hope this helps

peace

gunner

Old 02-21-2007, 09:35 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

hergy HB User

Green and Mohouse,

I have PTSD and fully understand that overwhelming feeling. It's like you start off feeling a bit strange, then it seems that in pour every emotion you ever felt. That's definitely overwhelming.

During those moments, I'm certain I can't go on.

Hang on, guys. You both sound like awesome people.

My psychiatrist explained that there's no set medication for PTSD. There are meds to help with the anxiety and depression, but meds can't erase memories. Opening up to a therapist about the issues that hurt you every day will be the relief you're looking for.

Don't hold that stuff in. It grows and damages the beautiful people you are. You don't deserve that.

Letting go of those feelings and events can be the most difficult thing you'll ever do. But it will truly free you from the severity of the pain you endure.

Find a therapist. Open up. You're both worth it.

Love,

Nikki

Closed Thread