It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2005, 05:17 PM   #1
(female)

alsaser HB User
PTSD & car accidents

I have been in numerous car accidents, mostly when I was not the driver, and the ones where I drove, I wasnt at fault. For example my car got totaled once and once I wasnt driving and my older sister ended up in the hospital...very scary. Well, some people complain I'm a horrible backseat driver, if they are driving too fast and I feel, unsafely, I sometimes scream...panic and tell them to slow down, and basically freak out.
My younger sis and dad have hardly been in any accidents, but I have and I cant help it. My dad was driving my sis and I on Chrsitmas eve and he would switch lanes real fast and car was behind us real fast and I screamed "we're gonna get hit" (I braced myself for the impact) but we didnt and my dad just laughed that the guy sped up on purpose to scare us. PLus he drove real fast at a red light like he was gonna hit the car in front of us and my sis and I were screaming.
My younger sis drives kind of crazy I feel, she's 24, and she cant stand me driving with her cause I freak out. I even do the break thing with my foot unintentionally, were I put my foot on the break thats not there, I'm not driving so I have no break. If I drive I'm fine.
I try to explain to ppl I have been in numerous accidents and cant help it. Is this a form of PPSD? What do I tell people? I cant help it...I get scared, its just an automatic reaction.
Btw, I'm fine when I driving with good, safe, mature drivers.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2006, 03:09 PM   #2
(female)

magickzzl HB User
Re: PTSD & car accidents

I know how you feel! I dont know if its PTSD, which is why Im here to... I rolled my moms blazer on the freeway 3 times with my best friend and my sister in the vehicle... Its supposedly not my fualt, but my sister and my friend seem to make it out to be, and I just dont know.. I panic when people pass me now (someone tried to cut me off, and either tapped me or I just over corrected, eith way, I swerved my car 2X befor flipping it) And my sister WILL not drive with me on the freeway unless she has no choice.

I cry when I think about it.. but then I seem to cry over everything. eitherway, I know how you feel

Old 01-26-2006, 06:07 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
Re: PTSD & car accidents

Hi. I've been in a head on collision and have PTSD from it. It was a nightmare, besides the injuries, there is always the memory. I have gone through therapy and take meds. What you are feeling is very real! This is hard to overcome and if it's that bad, therapy I highly recommend. I to use the break when driving with others. I was the driver when I got hit. I am scared to death of expressways even though I was hit off the expressway, my mind still did not switch speed gears. I've had horrendous flashbacks in the past, feeling that every car will hit me, especially in the dark. It's been three years now and Im much better but still, avoid driving long distances and the expressway.

Andrea

Closed Thread