It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2006, 12:39 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User
Question I believe I have ptsd what should I do?

I think I have ptsd 'cause I was exposed to abuse at work for prolong periods of time.
First time it was in Russia when my boss initially gave me wrong information to get rid of me and took great advantage of prejiduces to jews to have support from others. That job lasted 4.5 y, I couldn't find anything at all 'cause of little opportunities and discriminations.
Second time it was in US, I worked under guy who was trying to get me to have sex with him. He also took great advantage of prejiduces to russian immigrants and that I was not as valuable to job as he is.
I have a lot of pain and bed memories and it didn't go away. I tried shrinks two times but they did nothing but blaming me for everything and made me feel worse.
Normally nobody understands what is the problem if things are ok now and everybody believe they have bad bosses.
What should I do? What therapy could help?

Old 01-19-2006, 07:01 PM   #2
(female)

InvisibleNobody HB User
Re: I believe I have ptsd what should I do?

I understand what it is like to be abused at work and have everyone think that the boss is just a bad boss like everyone else. But in reality the abuse goes beyond being a bad boss. For me, I did some research on abuse and started to get evidence of it to take to proper people. As for the help that I got for myself.......I was able to find a counselor who understood the situation.

Basically, you will have to keep asking for help until you get it. And then do what you need to do to survive. I wish you luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2006, 05:17 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User

I think that problem here that I need russian counselor and may be not much older than me. Both times I had americans retired age and they absolutely weren't able to relate to immigration and life in Russia, which is quite different (at least it was when I was there) than life here.

Old 01-26-2006, 09:08 PM   #4

tari HB User

It's so tragic that you had to go through what you did both in Russia and here in the US. Some ideas for counselors: consider a social worker who has multi-cultural experience. I don't know where you live, but if you are near a large city with a university, they often have social work degrees and also graduate students in psychology who are able to help. Many of them are really good and can relate to you. You might find one who is Russian and can sympathize with your plight.

I understand what you are going through because I am working through a similar situation. Most of your friends and colleagues don't really understand what you go through, because they have not been exposed to the same situations. On the other hand, it might be helpful to get advice on how you might protect yourself in the future and draw clear boundaries.

Best wishes and God bless --

tari

Old 01-27-2006, 10:19 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User

I wish somebody can give me an advice to how to protect myself in future and draw clear boundries. Only thing I've heard from councelors "you should of change the job".
Only thing I found helpful is to take college classes one per semester on skill I may need for work, this way I was going one step ahead. I am doing it for 8 y already. It is hard, it took a lot of my personal time but it really help me not to be in cituation when I am volunarable and exposed to trouble. Most thing which is hurtful is people problem at work, if I miss on some fun and work longer hours I forget it right away.

Closed Thread