It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2006, 07:13 AM   #1
(female)

ginger_park HB User
New Here - Need Advice

I don't know if what I'm feeling is really PTSD but I need some advice. A double homicide happened last week across from where I work. It does not seem like a random attack but that has not made me feel any less nervous. The killer(s) have not been caught and in fact, it does not seem like there will be a quick resolution to the case. The police are asking for the public's assistance. The murders occurred while I was at work and my office is directly across the street. This is a very quiet area of NY and things like this just don't happen here.
I find myself being concerned that maybe the killer thinks we saw something and may come back to finish things off. (None of us saw anything, that's what is so weird about the case) I am constantly looking around to see what is going on and who is nearby. I find myself very uncomfortable at home, checking the doors to make sure they are locked several times during the evening. My family cannot understand why I am so concerned. The people that were in the area all feel basically the same...we are all shocked, scared and will not feel comfortable until the crime is solved. I thought as time went on, I would get over my feelings but it almost seems like I am getting more nervous. I have made lists for my husband so if something happens to me, he will know where to find life insurance policies and bank info etc. It's like I'm almost expecting to become a statistic.
Please tell me that this is normal and it will start to subside soon.
Thanks.
Ginger

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2006, 02:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User
Re: New Here - Need Advice

It's normal for you to be having such feelings after such a catastrophic event. Is it PTSD? I don't think so but I am not qualified to make that diagnosis. It may help to find a counsellor that specializes in trauma.

take care
trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Old 03-17-2006, 01:16 AM   #3
(male)

ZV7 HB User
Re: New Here - Need Advice

I am new here also, and I agree with what you are going through as normal for what you have experienced. Post-traumatic Stress Disorder does involve hyper-vigilance, and it is literally a stressor from past traumas, and you have rightfully been traumatized by what has happened. To not be traumatized by such and event would indicate even more severe problems. In my opinion, your sensibilities have been attacked and you are having a normal defensive reaction. Whether or not it is long term PTSD has yet to be revealed.

I was a combat medic, at the age of 19, in the Vietnam war. Forty years later I still have reactions to what I experienced back then, and have been diagnosed with Combat Related PTSD. I saw lots of people badly wounded, burned, and lots of death, many died in my arms, they said their last words to me, and after leaving the army I went through intense survivors guilt, among other things, and even today I am very emotionally sensitive, and cry easily.

I have had all sorts of therapy and medical treatment but what works best for me is quiet meditation; learning how to quiet my mind has helped me function and stabilize my over-reactions and hypersensitivity. I also occasionally go to group therapy, which helps me as well. I am now a believer that everything in life is useful, regardless as to whether it is considered good or bad, and it can help us grow on our journey through life. But these things can also create obstacles, mental blocks, etc. to our personal growth. The worst things that happen to us has the potential to send us deeper within ourselves looking for answers. Going to places within ourselves which we otherwise might not visit. I do not believe that we should live in fear but I do embrace an evolving personal awareness as essential to intrinsic growth.

Closed Thread