It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board


Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2007, 07:53 AM   #91
ICC ICC is offline
Inactive
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,265
ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User
Re: Problems, and then some more problems!

Dear Ryan...I hope getting the stitches out helps the pain a little. It always has me when at least you get rid of the incision pain. I'll be looking forward to an update from the Dr.

Punishment should only be felt by someone who has done something wrong. You don't fit the mold. As far as your daughter going everywhere with you I feel this is a good thing right now. I know school starts soon but being with you will reassure her . It may still be hard for her to leave your side but you will conquer this together. My youngest suffered from separation anxiety when she was in first grade. I was in a minor fender bender on my way to pick her up and it took 3 years after that to get her to leave my side peacefully. She believed in her heart that I would be killed while she was in school and IF she didn't go I would be fine. Makes sense doesn't it?


Grasshopper

 
Old 08-31-2007, 01:32 PM   #92
Facilitator
(male)
 
Phoenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 3,861
Blog Entries: 33
Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User
Re: Problems, and then some more problems!

Dear Grasshopper:

Three sets of bandages and only one area required the stitch removal.

Now the healing begins (with regards to my back anyway).

Thank you for sharing your daughter's seperation anxiety. It put things in perspective, no matter what the age of the child.

OMG, I said child, when indeed she is growing into a beautiful young woman.

Yes my friend; makes all the sense in the world...........

Now how was your dr.'s appointment?

Take care.

Ryan

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 08-31-2007, 02:18 PM   #93
ICC ICC is offline
Inactive
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,265
ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User
Re: Problems, and then some more problems!

Dear Ryan....Glad you are finally on the healing path. Wishing you all the best. You know that.

Sometimes I hold back from sharing because I don't like to take the limelight from anyone else even though none of us wants to be in the limelight with this awful disorder BUT I could see where this was going with you, knew i understood because I had been there. It was very difficult and at times I think that's why her and I still are together. I think it's one reason she has a hard time leaving me. Goes back many years. We have talked about not being responsible for each other and she understands BUT what I have been witnessing lately with her I do believe she might also have PTSD. I have suggested that she seek counseling and she has agreed. I see the old me alot in her and since we have experienced alot of the same situations i would at least like it outruled for her sake.

Eye appt. went well. A little swelling that wasn't in the other eye 24 hours later. And a scratch on my cornea. Need to think back. The night before we buried my father-in-law I was using one of those facial scrubs and my hand slipped and I gave myself a nice scratch across my eye. Had to wear a patch for over a week and had several drops to put in. I cannot for the life of me remember which eye but think it was the right. That would explain the scratch. From a surgical standpoint all is great. Using 3 drops in both eyes for about 2-3 weeks. I'm sure the prednisone drops will take the edema down. I have a medical question for you. Will put it under this. Please don't feel you have to rush with your opinion. You have enough going on.


God speed your healing!
Grasshopper

Last edited by ICC; 08-31-2007 at 02:23 PM.

 
Old 08-31-2007, 02:23 PM   #94
ICC ICC is offline
Inactive
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,265
ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User
Re: Problems, and then some more problems!

Here goes Ryan. I had a rare form of cataract that is known to be caused by diabetes, steroid use or heredity. No one in my family had them so I have outruled that. My diabetes is diet controlled and A1c has been 5.7 for 3 years UNTIL I was injured. The only thing that has changed since my last eye exam last year was the injuries and the steroid use, and of course the stress level. My A1c has gone up to 6.7. The only time I have a high glucose reading of let's say 250-300 is for 48-72 hours after an injection. Otherwise my readings are 105 fasting and maybe 150 after eating. Don't even sound like a diabetic do I?? I believe the steroid use, causing my blood sugar to rise so drastically is what caused these cataracts as I am young to have them appear so quickly and without warning. I talked to my attorney today and told him and he feels my eyes should be added to my WC claim IF the steroid use caused them but I can't get a straight answer from my eye Dr. ANy advise.???


Grasshopper

 
Old 08-31-2007, 03:12 PM   #95
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 217
casatonia 1 HB User
Re: Problems, and then some more problems!

please dont take this the wrong way but were the steriods for personal use or pescribed? Sorry

 
Old 08-31-2007, 03:18 PM   #96
ICC ICC is offline
Inactive
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,265
ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User
Re: Problems, and then some more problems!

Don't be sorry , hon. they were prescribed and mostly by injection. I was injured at work a little more than a year ago and suffered injuries to 5 different body parts, hence the 10 injections and some oral.

ICC

 
Old 08-31-2007, 03:25 PM   #97
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 217
casatonia 1 HB User
Re: Problems, and then some more problems!

oh, sounds painful! i was just asking cause i know drugs can make it worse, thank you for answering me.

 
Old 08-31-2007, 03:42 PM   #98
Facilitator
(male)
 
Phoenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 3,861
Blog Entries: 33
Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User
Re: Problems, and then some more problems!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICC View Post
Dear Ryan....Glad you are finally on the healing path. Wishing you all the best. You know that.

Sometimes I hold back from sharing because I don't like to take the limelight from anyone else even though none of us wants to be in the limelight with this awful disorder BUT I could see where this was going with you, knew i understood because I had been there. It was very difficult and at times I think that's why her and I still are together. I think it's one reason she has a hard time leaving me. Goes back many years. We have talked about not being responsible for each other and she understands BUT what I have been witnessing lately with her I do believe she might also have PTSD. I have suggested that she seek counseling and she has agreed. I see the old me alot in her and since we have experienced alot of the same situations i would at least like it outruled for her sake.

Eye appt. went well. A little swelling that wasn't in the other eye 24 hours later. And a scratch on my cornea. Need to think back. The night before we buried my father-in-law I was using one of those facial scrubs and my hand slipped and I gave myself a nice scratch across my eye. Had to wear a patch for over a week and had several drops to put in. I cannot for the life of me remember which eye but think it was the right. That would explain the scratch. From a surgical standpoint all is great. Using 3 drops in both eyes for about 2-3 weeks. I'm sure the prednisone drops will take the edema down. I have a medical question for you. Will put it under this. Please don't feel you have to rush with your opinion. You have enough going on.


God speed your healing!
Grasshopper
Dear Grasshopper,

It is wonderful news that your daughter will seek counseling.

To varying degrees, our children become our reflections;they've watched and studied us for years. In this respect, we've indirectly taught them what life is like.

Do not "hold back" on my account.

Your issues are just as important as mines;always remember that.

As you can see, I can go off on quite a tangent when posting.

Yes, the prednisone drops should help with the edema.

It is a prodrug, which is thus converted by the liver into prednisolone, the active drug and steroid.

As always Grasshopper, you know that I will be alright; no matter what comes my way(in time).

You've got me curious, so off to the next post.

Ryan

 
Old 08-31-2007, 04:42 PM   #99
Facilitator
(male)
 
Phoenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 3,861
Blog Entries: 33
Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User
Re: Problems, and then some more problems!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICC View Post
Here goes Ryan. I had a rare form of cataract that is known to be caused by diabetes, steroid use or heredity. No one in my family had them so I have outruled that. My diabetes is diet controlled and A1c has been 5.7 for 3 years UNTIL I was injured. The only thing that has changed since my last eye exam last year was the injuries and the steroid use, and of course the stress level. My A1c has gone up to 6.7. The only time I have a high glucose reading of let's say 250-300 is for 48-72 hours after an injection. Otherwise my readings are 105 fasting and maybe 150 after eating. Don't even sound like a diabetic do I?? I believe the steroid use, causing my blood sugar to rise so drastically is what caused these cataracts as I am young to have them appear so quickly and without warning. I talked to my attorney today and told him and he feels my eyes should be added to my WC claim IF the steroid use caused them but I can't get a straight answer from my eye Dr. ANy advise.???
Grasshopper
My dear Grasshopper:

The risk factors for cataracts are:
1) family history

2) eye injury

3) frequent inflammation of the eye or lids

4) diabetes

5) smoking

6) excess exposure to UV radiation

7) use of certain drugs including
corticosteroids.

These drugs are antihistamines, birth conrol pills, tranquilizers, sulfa drugs,oral anti-diabetic drugs, antidepressants, NSAIDS,Fluoroquinone, tebinafine and mefloquine type antibiotics; they can cause or worsen the effects of cataracts.

The A1c goal is generally under 7%.

The high glucose reading can definitely be traced to the steroids, as this is indisputable.

My guess would be that the doctor is thinking that the steroids may not have been administered long enough to provide a definitive causality; not to mention other prescriptions coming into play.

Then there are the other factors; the eye injury and smoking, which could be viewed as contributing factors.

I see where your attorney feels this should be included but it's the host of contributing factors that the other side would run with.

Did your vision become worse with each injection?

When did you begin noticing the vision change?

There seem to be a few variables.

You know i'm on your side with this one but I would be cheating you by providing information that I didn't feel was accurate; this I will never do.

I respect you too much to do otherwise, my friend.

Take care.

Ryan

 
Old 09-01-2007, 09:16 AM   #100
ICC ICC is offline
Inactive
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,265
ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User
Re: Problems, and then some more problems!

Morning Ryan...I hope you're well. I have to agree with you about trying to prove this is somehow related to WC. I will ask the Dr. his opinion and leave it in my attorney's hands. HE can do the work. I noticed shortly after my shoulder surgery that I could read without glasses BUT my eyes were foggy. It was very sudden. Daughter seems to be happier just making decisions instead of being in limbo. Yes you will be Ok as you're a survivor. Ryan, the reason I hold back at times is because I don't want anyone to think I am trying to take from their needs. Sometimes It's easier if I compare something I've been through to someone else's issue to get my point across and don't want to hurt anyone. I am having a hard time posting as I thought I was on topic with the post about BP meds and PTSD and wasn't. I guess my mind isn't clear enough to keep things straight right now. Too many surgeries bringing on alot of PTSD crap. I know you know.\

Be well my friend,
Grasshopper

 
Old 09-01-2007, 10:09 AM   #101
Facilitator
(male)
 
Phoenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 3,861
Blog Entries: 33
Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User
Re: Problems, and then some more problems!

Grasshopper,

I wanted to be able to tell you otherwise; God knows that.

Really weren't sure if you were going to be upset with me and if so, hoped that it would subside soon.

After your shoulder surgery the symptoms were present;

let's see here: you were cleared medically for the surgery to be performed(blood tests,EKG, etc.).

You were anesthatized and awoke, which means they must have given you a larger dosage.

It's a stretch but exactly how much additional anesthesia was administered and did the anesthesiologist consider the fact that you had diabetes when doing so?

Something just doesn't seem right to me.
-----------------------------------------
With respect to comparison, that is always helpful but in order to get the "full benefit" of this board, you need to explain what's going on with you.

People will misinterpret things at times and feelings may be hurt unintentionally; it happens.

My "butterflying" Grasshopper,

You wanted to believe that something was beyond a reasonable medical doubt.

It bothers you now but you know what; it still doesn't change the fact that you required surgery; suffice to say, let's see what the anesthesia doses were(my opinion anyway).

I'm with you on this and any information that I can provide, just ask.

We've both been through a lot this year physically(not taking away from others physical pain) and we are still here.

That deserves a pat on the back(closer towards the good shoulder)

The saying is "hindsight is 20/20" but now, so is your vision.

Check this out: and smile a little.

The "rain hasn't gone" yet but you can see clearly now.

Rest up and enjoy the holiday weekend; there's always Tuesday.

Be well.

Ryan

 
Old 09-02-2007, 09:28 AM   #102
ICC ICC is offline
Inactive
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,265
ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User
Re: Problems, and then some more problems!

Morning my friend, I hope you are well. How is the pain threshhold? Are you able to sleep at night? How are things with you and your daughter? Lots of questions HUH?

I'm good. Realized last night that I am just uncomfortable in this new or should I say broken body of mine. Everything is an effort including showering and dressing. Before my injuries I was up at 5:00 and out the door to a long physical day at work. Now I don't even go out most days. Eyes are still a little goofy but healing and my shoulder is coming along very slowly but really limits me. Will see the ortho on Thursday since my neck, back, knee and nakle are being neglected due to the shoulder and I 'm not sure what to do so they don't get any worse. Right now the pain is there but tolerable.

I'm with you on the eyes and the WC stuff. As far as NSAIDS go I was given a bag of toradol and then NSAIDS out the wazoo after shoulder surgery so I truly believ that given all that has happend I would not have aquired these cataracts at this point if not for the injuries. Whether it be the steroids, the NSAIDS, the stress making my glucose and BP rise/ all has come from the injuries. I will tell my attorney that and let him take it from there. You know the feeling. I care BUT at this point my health is more important that anything else. I need to live with it no matter where my case goes.

ANy news on your's???

Grasshopper

 
Old 09-02-2007, 12:34 PM   #103
Facilitator
(male)
 
Phoenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 3,861
Blog Entries: 33
Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User
Re: Problems, and then some more problems!

Dear Grasshopper:

I regret to report discomfort and additional pain.

I customarily have to wait 4-6 weeks though.

My sleep pattern is laughable; how about yours?

My daughter and I are .

I hear you with respect to the limitations that certain situations bring about.

The eyes will need a little time but you should be alright.

You wrote:

"Will see the ortho on Thursday since my neck, back, knee and nakle are being neglected due to the shoulder and I 'm not sure what to do so they don't get any worse. Right now the pain is there but tolerable."

I hope that he has less invasive answers for you; you've been through a lot already.
--------------------------------------------

Provide the attorney with as much info as possible and letting him do his job; that's what I like to hear; teamwork.

My case is so far from over (I may still require cervical surgery).

We haven't even gotten to the depo phase.

They know that any offer the insurance company suggests will only add "insult to injury"(pardon the pun).

I have exhausted every avenue in proving my innocence.

Only two calls I expect from the attorneys in the near future are: 1) deposition and 2) court dates (maybe another if they want to go over the facts with me.

Right now, no news is good news; that's how i'll view it.

Take care.

Ryan

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Problems waking up. NailObsessed Sleep Disorders 3 04-29-2010 11:10 PM
no one can explain my eye problems collegekid3 Eye & Vision 33 10-29-2009 10:43 PM
Various problems.. not sure whats wrong. madness1 General Health 3 11-23-2007 11:51 AM
Thyroid problems & 12 weeks pg...any info? Brooke85 Pregnancy 4 08-30-2007 12:02 PM
Sorry long post- Trying to get to root of my problems RAINIE73 General Health 6 05-05-2007 10:02 AM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:43 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!