It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2007, 04:12 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User
Unhappy Problems, and then some more problems!

Good morning all......I know I haven't been around much lately but this is not by choice. As you all know I have suffered immensly since my shoulder surgery. It at this point is moving along. When I was first injured a year ago May it took barely 3 months for me to have a major PTSD flare up. Took 10 months of hard work and counseling to get myself together. Because of the constant pain I could feel myself slipping again. I have my first appt. back with my therapist today as it is needed. Certain aspects of the surgery and the pain that followed have caused me to be on guard for another PTSD flar-up. I am having one but not near as severe as last summer. This is also a bad time of year for me as the 10th anniversary of my daughter's death is approaching the end of August. I try to keep this in mind as it is the whole ball of wax on my shoulders ( bad one too)right now. I am not slighting myself in that strenght is not enough at times. I had my anual Eye exam on Saturday and was very distressed to find out that I have almost no sightin my left eye do to a rare cataract brought on by all the steroid use to treat my injuries in the past year. Anger set in immediately that again I will suffer the consequences of doing my job. I see the eye surgeon on Thursday and know that I will need surgery ASAP. I am panicked just at the thgouth of another surgery let alone on my eye. I will speak to the surgeon about my PTSD, the fact that I just had a very traumatic surgery just 3 months ago and feel I will need to be put out that the thougth of a local makes me sick to the stomach and makes me feel as if I am going to pass out. Enough is enough now. One thing after the other , and it all goes back to being injured at work. Health issues cropping up because of the necessary treatments to help these injuries along. I am very angry, scared. I am going to stand up for myself in the surgeon's office and not allowhim to blow me off. I am petrified so he will have to deal with that and find a way to do this surgery with me knowing nothing. I knowit is only a 10 minutes surgery but the thought of having injections in my eye will probably keep me from even showingup the day of surgery. Please know that I care about all of you and wish you all health and recovery from this God awful disorder. I will be in and out of here. Once the surgery is done, I probably will not be able to see for a few days. The eye strain is takin git's toll on me now. Be well. Be safe. Be strong.

ICC

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2007, 04:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dee-nah HB User
Re: Problems, and then somemore problems!

I'm so sorry you are going through ALL of this... The main thing now is focusing on yourself because you alone are the only one that is going to get you through this horrible time.. I'm glad you are sticking up for yourself, this is something I do not do and well you know all of the things I've been through with my pdoc and meds...

Give yourself some credit though, you have been posting and helping out others and that just goes to show what type of person you are..... You have ALWAYS been there for me even when you were going through your shoulder surgery and that says a lot of who you are, ICC..... Bat would be proud = )

Good luck with everything, you will be in my prayers!

Old 08-01-2007, 05:07 AM   #3
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User

Grasshopper:

Why do bad things happen to good people?

Angry and scared are to be expected, given the circumstances at hand.

Since today is your therapist appointment (I have not forgotten, my friend), I ask that you attempt to relieve yourself of that which burdens you.

Do not feel as if you are saying too much; lay it all out on the table, so to speak.

I feel the anger and tears(yes, yours); I truly do.

I understand that August is not a good month for you, so i won't press.

If no one told you this today, then let me be the first to say "I love Grasshopper."

There will be time for us to talk; trust me on this one.

Be well,

Ryan

Old 08-01-2007, 06:34 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Dee...thanks for the suppport and kind words. I try. I spend everyday trying. I am actually doing well considering all I have been slapped with. The few time sin the past I have left my health to fate or not asked enough questions or put my foot down I have been very unhappy with the results. The eye thing is just too much for me to handle. Knock me out and I'll be fine. BUT I cannot withstand knowing any of this is going on.

Ryan.......What a wonderful day! On the way out the door my daughter and husband both said "Have a good day, love you" and then my best friend did.

I love you ,too.

Grasshopper xo

Old 08-01-2007, 12:12 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

NVD HB User

Hi ICC...I'm sorry you are going through so much pain right now. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.
Amber

Old 08-02-2007, 04:07 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

dustoffkid HB Userdustoffkid HB User

Icy,

I want you to know that even though I don't come here as often as I used to (or as often as I'd like), I do think about you often. My husband had a shoulder reconstruction three weeks ago (the injury happened almost 5 years ago--- don't ask), and it's reminded me daily of you and your trouble.

I am sorry to hear about the eye problem; hopefully you can get the surgery quickly and everything will go well.

I will be thinking and praying for you.

Dustoff

Old 08-02-2007, 04:58 AM   #7
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User

Grasshopper:

How did your session go?

I know that you see the doctor today; hope that all goes well.

Take care

Ryan

Old 08-02-2007, 11:32 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Dustoff....wish your husband the best for me. I know the pain involved. Mine was made worse by an aggressive PT who caused me to have frozen shoulder. The pain of that is something I have never experienced before or care to again. Thanks for the well wishes.

ICY

Ryan....I felt the session was a waste of time. She told me that a person without PTSD would be out of sorts going through all of this and now my eye so it's perfectly normal for me to feel the way I do. DUH! And I paid to see her. No offer of suggestions, nothing. I am off to the eye surgeon at 3;00. will check in later or tomorrow morning with the date of surgery.

Grasshopper

Old 08-02-2007, 12:43 PM   #9
Facilitator
(male)

Grasshopper:

I see what you mean with the therapist.

It could boil down to the school of approach that she is accustomed to using.

I truly hope that your appointment today provides you with more insight.

Take care,

Ryan

Last edited by Phoenix; 08-03-2007 at 06:15 AM. Reason: smiley face

Old 08-03-2007, 02:11 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Morning Ryan......I am surprised not to see a smiley face next to the word insight.

I am scheduled for 8/21 for the left eye and 8/30 for theright. Had no idea I had one on my right eye also. he said the right one is at the point that they would normally remove them adn teh elft is far beyond that. I asked him if he could "turn my brown eyes blue" and he wasn't biting. I just started driving again since the shoulder surgery and he said NO WAY. I am legallly blind and cannot drive until both eyes are done. Should restore my vision to 20/20 or at least close. My last appt. with him is on 9/21 so it looks like the grasshopper is grounded again for another 2 months. I just joined a therapeutic pool to get some much needed relaxation and excercise so that will be put on hold again. I feel like my life is going round and round on a merry-go-round and I can't get off. Every time I conquer one thing immediately behind it is another. He can't make the call as to whether it is my diabetes or the steroids or a combo. My diabetes is under control and not medicated so ??????????

Grasshopper

Old 08-03-2007, 03:33 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

dustoffkid HB Userdustoffkid HB User

Oh, Icy,

I forgot to tell you that my dad had this eye surgery a couple of years ago- he LOVED it! The results, I mean. You'll be amazed at the difference, you'll see. ( ) (I grinned at Ryan's "insight" comment, too.)

hugs,

Dustoff

Old 08-03-2007, 06:31 AM   #12
Facilitator
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICC View Post
Morning Ryan......I am surprised not to see a smiley face next to the word insight.

I am scheduled for 8/21 for the left eye and 8/30 for theright. Had no idea I had one on my right eye also. he said the right one is at the point that they would normally remove them adn teh elft is far beyond that. I asked him if he could "turn my brown eyes blue" and he wasn't biting. I just started driving again since the shoulder surgery and he said NO WAY. I am legallly blind and cannot drive until both eyes are done. Should restore my vision to 20/20 or at least close. My last appt. with him is on 9/21 so it looks like the grasshopper is grounded again for another 2 months. I just joined a therapeutic pool to get some much needed relaxation and excercise so that will be put on hold again. I feel like my life is going round and round on a merry-go-round and I can't get off. Every time I conquer one thing immediately behind it is another. He can't make the call as to whether it is my diabetes or the steroids or a combo. My diabetes is under control and not medicated so ??????????

Grasshopper
Dear Grasshopper:

A Tuesday(8/21) and a Thursday(8/30); just around the corner(since we are already in August).

You will get through this too.

Remember: HE only gives you as much as HE feels you can handle.

It is definitely good news that your sight will be restored to normal levels.

Look at the positives Grasshopper; at times one HUGE positive can outweigh a bunch of smaller negatives (food for thought).

Rest well,

Ryan

Old 08-05-2007, 12:13 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

beka6 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICC View Post
Ryan....I felt the session was a waste of time. She told me that a person without PTSD would be out of sorts going through all of this and now my eye so it's perfectly normal for me to feel the way I do. DUH! And I paid to see her. No offer of suggestions, nothing. I am off to the eye surgeon at 3;00. will check in later or tomorrow morning with the date of surgery.

Grasshopper
ICC,
Hmmmm.... do you have a second option for therapists in the area? You are going through WAY too much to not have someone right now. This is bad news about your eyes. I hope the surgery will help you.

Beka

Old 08-06-2007, 03:38 AM   #14
Facilitator
(male)

Re: Problems, and then some more problems!

Grasshopper:

Was it more that you placed high expectations on the session and were disappointed?

Could it be that you were in so much pain and frustrated, that no matter what advice you therapist gave, it wouldn't have been sufficient?

I know, if you knew it would have turned out this way, you probably would have brought a list of questions and successfully checked off each and every one of them; once they were thoroughly answered.

Is the client/therapist relationship in need of a "tune up?"

You know the saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

A little something to think about.

Ryan

Old 08-06-2007, 04:23 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)

Re: Problems, and then some more problems!

Phoenix 1...... Personally I think her and I just don't click anymore. I've thought it for awhile now. She doesn't seem to be happy with me changing and getting well. It almost feels as if she is belittling me at times. Contradicts herself from week to week so that I feel I SHOULD be there when in reality I know exactly what's wrong with me/how to get rid of it/and when it's time. I am very frustrated rigth now and sad that I just started to get my life back to gether. Found some things I enjoy and BOOM!All is put on hold AGAIN for a couple of more months. My husband has been great to me BUT is starting to get very testy. I can tell he tries to avoid me at times and that really hurts my feelings. I would rather him come right out with whatever is bothering him than to be nasty to me for no apparant reason. I don't ge ta straight answer and am starting to feel as if he wants to leave me but is sticking around out of guilt because I took care of him for 4 years and his parents for a year. I don't need any of these doubts right now. I think instead of venting here I will grab the bull by the horns and ask him just what is bothering him

Have a good night. I haven't slept more than 2 hours a night for the past month so I know I won't.

Grasshopper

Closed Thread