It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2007, 03:35 AM   #1
(female)

DiSsOcIaTiVe HB User
PTSD and psychosis

hello everyone,

i haven't posted on the PTSD part of healthboards before - i hope it's ok that i post this here.

i have been diagnosed with complex PTSD in 2002. the question i wanted to ask though was more about psychosis and whether any of you have experienced it as part of your PTSD. my psychosis includes hallucinations (auditory and visual) and feelings of others being able to read my thoughts.

i have been discussing with my psychologist and psychiatrist about my diagnosis and they both say i don't have a schizophrenic disorder, but that other doctors might disagree and diagnose me with schizophrenia as well as PTSD. they say that my psychosis is related to the PTSD and not being able to express emotions - so the stress has built up and i find myself in this situation.

i'm on meds...lexapro 20mg, solian 1000mg, epilim 2000mg...but they don't seem to help with the hallucinations.

have any of you had similar experiences?

thanks,
dissociative

Old 09-01-2007, 08:20 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User
Re: PTSD and psychosis

Good morning. .. You are in the right place. There is a wealth of support and knowledge here. I do dissociate, not as frequently but still do at times. Tell us more about you. What brought on the dx. The way you have your user name written is a perfect example of what our minds feel like at times.

ICC

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2007, 10:03 AM   #3
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiSsOcIaTiVe View Post
hello everyone,

i haven't posted on the PTSD part of healthboards before - i hope it's ok that i post this here.

i have been diagnosed with complex PTSD in 2002. the question i wanted to ask though was more about psychosis and whether any of you have experienced it as part of your PTSD. my psychosis includes hallucinations (auditory and visual) and feelings of others being able to read my thoughts.

i have been discussing with my psychologist and psychiatrist about my diagnosis and they both say i don't have a schizophrenic disorder, but that other doctors might disagree and diagnose me with schizophrenia as well as PTSD. they say that my psychosis is related to the PTSD and not being able to express emotions - so the stress has built up and i find myself in this situation.

i'm on meds...lexapro 20mg, solian 1000mg, epilim 2000mg...but they don't seem to help with the hallucinations.

have any of you had similar experiences?

thanks,
dissociative
Dear DiS,

Welcome:

From what you are stating, you may be borderline schizophrenic, hence the taking of solian, which is not approved by the FDA here.(UK)

1,000mg. seems to be a pretty large dose, as it is used to treat schizoprenia and manic episodes in bipolar affective disorder.

Stress and Psychosis can definitely go hand in hand.

Severe stress can definitely lead to extreme psychosis.

Please keep posting.

Ryan

Old 09-01-2007, 08:06 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

deepblues HB User

I'd like to know more about disassociation problems and how they manifest. Is there a thread for this here? I, too, was diagnosed with PTSD at one time but it no longer manifests itself now. At least not that I am aware of. I have had hallucinations at times but am not sure of this symptom or if I just imagined it. Hearing voices, only when I take more than one valtrex per day. It does state in the rx read out that psychotic behavior can happen with this drug. Thats another story, though.

Take care.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:18 PM   #5
(female)

DiSsOcIaTiVe HB User

hi, thanks for the replies.

ICC, it was CSA that brought on my diagnosis. there's also mention of DID as a diagnosis for me and i was diagnosed with it in hospital a couple of years back, but i'm not sure if my current pdoc agrees. i'm pretty sure my psychologist does.

Phoenix, yeah, my pdoc said many pdocs would diagnose me as schizophrenic, but she doesn't think that's what it is - she believes it's trauma based. this also means i have to pay over $100 per week for the solian, just because she won't say i have schizophrenia.

my psychologist thinks that this psychotic episode may have been caused by us talking about 2 traumatic events, as this was quite stressful for me. i just don't think it was enough to cause how i am now.

also, this 'episode' has been going on for about 4 months, which seems like an awful long time for something induced by stress to me...but then, i'm not an expert. i know nothing.

this is not the first time i've had an episode like this...sometimes i've come out of it myself (when i was much younger, 10-15) and other times more recently i've needed medication. the solian just doesn't seem to be cutting it though. i'm 22 now. my docs don't know about my earlier psychotic 'episodes' i don't know how to tell them and i feel guilty for not telling them sooner. they do know about some i've had since i started seeing them 5 years ago.

DeepBlues, for me dissociation is like i remove myself from the world and my surroundings and just retreat back into myself somehow. sometimes i do things which i don't remember doing or find myself in a place and have no idea how i got there. dissociation causes me to feel very disconnected from my body/feelings/thoughts etc. everything feels seperate. i hope this makes a little sense...maybe someone else can elaborate?

cheers,
Diss

Old 09-08-2007, 02:43 AM   #6
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User

Quote:

ICC, it was CSA that brought on my diagnosis. there's also mention of DID as a diagnosis for me and i was diagnosed with it in hospital a couple of years back, but i'm not sure if my current pdoc agrees. i'm pretty sure my psychologist does.

Phoenix, yeah, my pdoc said many pdocs would diagnose me as schizophrenic, but she doesn't think that's what it is - she believes it's trauma based. this also means i have to pay over $100 per week for the solian, just because she won't say i have schizophrenia.

my psychologist thinks that this psychotic episode may have been caused by us talking about 2 traumatic events, as this was quite stressful for me. i just don't think it was enough to cause how i am now.

also, this 'episode' has been going on for about 4 months, which seems like an awful long time for something induced by stress to me...but then, i'm not an expert. i know nothing.

this is not the first time i've had an episode like this...sometimes i've come out of it myself (when i was much younger, 10-15) and other times more recently i've needed medication. the solian just doesn't seem to be cutting it though. i'm 22 now. my docs don't know about my earlier psychotic 'episodes' i don't know how to tell them and i feel guilty for not telling them sooner. they do know about some i've had since i started seeing them 5 years ago.

DeepBlues, for me dissociation is like i remove myself from the world and my surroundings and just retreat back into myself somehow. sometimes i do things which i don't remember doing or find myself in a place and have no idea how i got there. dissociation causes me to feel very disconnected from my body/feelings/thoughts etc. everything feels seperate. i hope this makes a little sense...maybe someone else can elaborate?

cheers,
Diss
D,

You mentioned to ICC(Grasshopper) and myself that your clinicians have diagnosed you as such but you didn't give them the entire history.

In order for therapy of any sort to be beneficial, you must fully disclose both the past and present.

If you don't, they can only go on what you tell them, which could not only result in a misdiagnosis but leave you with a feeling that you are wasting your time..............and money.

Now i'm not saying that it is always easy but it is necessary.

They are trained to classify by syptomology, which is again based on the information you provide to them.

Don't cheat yourself; you want the best help possible and this is the means to obtain it.

The sooner, the better.
-------------------------------------
I must say that your definition of dissociation was described well(I have to give credit where it is due).

Take care.

Phoenix

Old 09-08-2007, 04:05 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

Hi Diss..... I agree with Ryan in that total honesty is necessary to make strides with emotional/mental disorders. I have no idea what the initials you used mean and will feel really dumb when you tell me

I agree that you have given the best description of dissociation I have ever heard. Thank you. I don't too eoften anymore but still do. Usually it is a sound that brings me back.

sometimes when we hit on one of our traumatic events it stays with us. 4 months seems like along time, but maybe not. The last bad flare up I had lasted about 6 months until I could finally see the light. Are your Dr.s aware of the time frame? Also , please next appt. let them know that you have had episodes like this before. I feel it will help in your treatment.

ICC

Old 09-08-2007, 07:03 AM   #8
(female)

DiSsOcIaTiVe HB User

Ryan, you're right...i should tell them all about the other episodes and i do intend to. it's just really hard after seeing them for 5 years and not mentioning it in all that time. i did kind of hint at it with a poem i wrote once, but my psych didn't pick up on it.

thanks for the compliment...about the description.

ICC, CSA is child sexual abuse and DID is dissociative identity disorder.

i will let my doctors know about the past episodes and events which may be relevant.

thank you too for the compliment

cheers, Diss

Old 09-08-2007, 08:55 AM   #9
Facilitator
(male)

Quote:

Ryan, you're right...i should tell them all about the other episodes and i do intend to. it's just really hard after seeing them for 5 years and not mentioning it in all that time. i did kind of hint at it with a poem i wrote once, but my psych didn't pick up on it.

thanks for the compliment...about the description.

ICC, CSA is child sexual abuse and DID is dissociative identity disorder.

i will let my doctors know about the past episodes and events which may be relevant.

thank you too for the compliment

cheers, Diss
Dear Diss,

Now is a better time than ever; it may be difficult so be prepared to "strap on that seatbelt" because you could be in for an emotional ride.I would bring the poem along also for recall purposes.

If you explain things the way you did dissociative, you'll be alright.

One thing though; if you pick and choose which events you feel are relevant, it is kind of defeating the purpose.

On the other hand, if things are too painful to state at the moment, you can make them aware of that also.

Take care.

Ryan

Closed Thread