It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2007, 02:48 AM   #1
(female)

WhereIsTheLight HB User
Can PTSD backfires 20-30 or even 40 years later?

I will not enumerate the PTSD issues but do wonder if past events accumulated (PTSD) can backfire years later in one's life to a debilitating point.

Thanks in advance for your input.

p.s. not talking about recent past but way far back past trauma (20-30-40 years back)

WITL.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:42 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User
Re: Can PTSD backfires 20-30 or even 40 years later?

I think it could, I am very upset about events happened 15-20 years ago. Odd thing that it hits you when things in your everyday live seems ok. Our mind and body punishes us for everything it been through.

Last edited by galinaqt; 10-11-2007 at 09:43 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2007, 11:16 AM   #3
(female)

WhereIsTheLight HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by galinaqt View Post
I think it could, I am very upset about events happened 15-20 years ago. Odd thing that it hits you when things in your everyday live seems ok. Our mind and body punishes us for everything it been through.

Punishes us? By all heavens!

Mind clearing up that : "Our mind and body punishes us for everything it been through".

Kind of upsetting as if victims must pay for others misdeeds...... thats how am getting it..... ?

Old 10-11-2007, 02:31 PM   #4
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereIsTheLight View Post
I will not enumerate the PTSD issues but do wonder if past events accumulated (PTSD) can backfire years later in one's life to a debilitating point.

Thanks in advance for your input.

p.s. not talking about recent past but way far back past trauma (20-30-40 years back)

WITL.
Dear WITL,

It is definitely possible for past events to manifest themselves, especially if unresolved.

When a person has PTSD (a theory) it can lay dormant for many a year; until that next traumatic event causes the disorder to resurface, sometimes with a vengeance.

Take care.

Phoenix

Old 11-03-2007, 03:59 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

tony72 HB User

WFTL,

I too have PTSD, I experienced the first 10 years of my life in horror. I'm 36 now and it has just been triggered. Recently, my MIL whom I cared for since 99, died from MS. I was her primary caregiver and she lived with us. After her death I ended up in the hospital with Heart Attack symptoms. It was stress and anxiety that elevated my blood pressure. For the next 3 months - nightmares, anxiety attacks, depression and black out times started becoming promonent in my mind.
I went to a Phy.Dr. and he explained that as children or young adults - our minds are not mature enough to process tramatic events. We go into survival mode and basically file them until we are emotionally mature enough to process them. Anything can trigger the PTSD - but normally it is something that is similar to your previous tramatic experience.

This really helped me to accept what I was feeling. See, I didn't feel like I had the right to grieve over my childhood experiences. It felt like I was making a big deal over something that happend too long ago. Since I had talked about plenty of times and told the story to so many people... I thought I had come to terms with it. I hadn't I was retelling events that I had not internalized or emotionally processed.

When I became a young adult I could tell the story without much emotion. It became very confusing to me. My husband was trying to deal with the death of his mother and his wife was having a melt down.

Now that I understand the how my mind is working - I can better accept the PTSD. I've begun taking Lamictal for it and it has helped tremendously.

I hope this helps you all some,

Daisey

Closed Thread