It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2007, 11:41 AM   #1
(male)

seeker45 HB User
Question About Memory Loss and PTSD

I was the recipient of sexual abuse by my farher when I was 12 for a period of about 2 years. When I was 18 I had a car accident in which I was sure I was going to die (was left stranded in the car for more than 4 hours and at the time was totally paralyzed). Somehow I lost all memory of the sexual abuse after the car accident situation and it just came back to me a short while ago when my son turned about the same age.

Does sound possible? Can you really block something like that out for that long by replacing it with another traumatic experience?

Hope someone can give some personal experience on this one.

THanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2007, 02:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User
Re: Question About Memory Loss and PTSD

Hi:

A lot of people bury negative personal experiences in order to survive and carry on. Problem is it doesn't go away it just lies there dorment until something triggers it bringing it back to life. I managed to bury decades of my life for a long time but it seemed once one memory came out they all came flooding out and now have to be dealt with as I can no longer bury them.

take care
trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2007, 03:51 PM   #3
(female)

Survivor 1957 HB User
Re: Question About Memory Loss and PTSD

hi,

I buried my memories for over 25 years, I did a roll play at work 5 years ago for domestic violance and started having flash backs and night sweats, and out bursts at work. I could not figure out what was going on, i did another roll play 1 year later and i fell apart during it, the audiance thought i was a great actor,. the physologist new better. I went into couciling 4 weeks later and went through5 drs till I found the right one for me. my advise is get some help,. you cant do it alone,. Post - post and post some more, these boards area allot of help.

good luck
k

Closed Thread