It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2007, 02:30 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

isitme HB Userisitme HB User
Very few childhood memories......normal????

I don't want to offend anyone here because I know alot of people suffer childhood abuse..........and have ptsd because of that, but that is not the case with me. I believe I was loved, but I can literally count on one hand memories from childhood and none of them are family orientated.

Is this normal or not ? I presume it's not normal and wonder why?

Old 12-15-2007, 11:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User
Re: Very few childhood memories......normal????

Hi:

Memory is a funny thing and reasons why we do or do not remember something can have a wide variety of reasons attached to it. I have few memories of my past because I purposely blocked it out ...... which was the healthy choice at the time but I am paying for it now. It could be that your brain is so concentrated on your current situation that other memories were pushed to the back and don't come up that easily. I have days that I can't remember anything positive about my life as my brain for whatever the reason is focused soley on the negative and my current situation. I am almost sure your memories from your childhood are still there but they are just hard to get at.

take care
trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2007, 09:17 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

maybecrazy HB User

I have very few childhood memories and I can remember making a bargain that if I couldnt remember anything good I wouldnt remember anything at all - I don't think anything particularly bad happened to me - others have had much worse.

I think Children see things in black and white - good and bad - and make desicions accordingly to forget things that arnt happy - if you had a happy childhood there may be other reasons for memory loss anything from vitamin and mineral deficiency to perhaps you didnt have as happy a childhood as you thought? and PTSD definately affects the memory - or so I've found.

The thing is you have managed to date without these memories - do you really need them now? I ask myself that question practically every day and at the moment have decided I don't.
Take Care

Old 01-01-2008, 08:13 AM   #4
(male)

marantz1935 HB User

Hi,

I felt prompted to respond to your post.

Most of my childhood was unhappy with my parents fighting, but for some reason I can hardly remember things like birthdays and Christmas's. I don't konw whether I had them or not. I often wonder about it.

Marantz.

Last edited by marantz1935; 01-01-2008 at 08:15 AM.

Old 01-01-2008, 02:07 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

beka6 HB User

Isitme,

I have very few memories of childhood as well. I don't know if that is all due to the PTSD, or if I'm just wired that way. When I went through EMDR for PTSD, I was amazed at the multiple issues that surfaced. Many were things that I either completely blocked out, or experiences that had bothered me, but that I had never "classified" as traumatic. Is it possible that you are repressing painful memories?

Beka

ps Happy 2008!

Old 01-02-2008, 11:12 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

isitme HB Userisitme HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by beka6 View Post
Isitme,

I have very few memories of childhood as well. I don't know if that is all due to the PTSD, or if I'm just wired that way. When I went through EMDR for PTSD, I was amazed at the multiple issues that surfaced. Many were things that I either completely blocked out, or experiences that had bothered me, but that I had never "classified" as traumatic. Is it possible that you are repressing painful memories?

Beka

ps Happy 2008!
You may have a point there, (re my sister. Not physical aggression, but verbally taunted and ridiculed as a child). I'm still waiting on my first appointment to be assessed! Childhood experiences mold a person character/personality.......and their suseptability for developing ptsd!!!
happy 08 to you too and everyone else.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:55 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

beka6 HB User

Isitme,

When I did EMDR, there were several memories that were all about being ridiculed as a child. I think those can be very traumatic. You are right on - our childhood experiences mold us and can factor into our resilance as adults. It's tricky stuff....

Beka

Old 01-23-2008, 01:13 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

maybecrazy HB User

Hi Everyone,

I wonder how many people with PTSD had childhood problems - I guess there it would be easier to see how many people didn't have childhood problems.....

Is there anyone out there with PTSD who had a great childhood? it would be interesting to find out.....

Old 01-23-2008, 01:12 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

I'll put my money with the bad childhood bet.

Old 01-27-2008, 08:29 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

There are a lot of people who had absolutely perfect childhoods that later on developed PTSD but their PTSD is not child hood related but tied to a very stressful tragic event. There are people out there who had a perfect relationship at home but then entered an abusive partnership that led to PTSD or C-PTSD. The definition of PTSD is an anxiety disorder that can occur after you have been through a traumatic event. The argument can be if you were not taught proper emotional regulations or coping mechanisms then you may be more prone to PTSD triggered by a stressful event. My C-PTSD comes from a very long continuous cycle of abuse by people who were suppose to be caring for me so it was not much of a surprised when that diagnose showed up. I know a lady who had an ideal childhood, went to university/college for psychology and worked for years in the community. She underwent a very serious traumatic event (which i will not go into in fear of triggering someone) and she ended up almost incapacitated with PTSD symptoms as her brain could not handle or deal with the situation that took place.

A good percentage of people with C-PTSD don't have a nice childhood but that is partly the reason to my understanding between the difference between PTSD and C-PTSD, PTSD can be on one single event where as C-PTSD took place over a long duration of time such as a abusive childhood or a unhealthy relationship

take care
trg247

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Old 01-27-2008, 02:10 PM   #11
(male)

acaptainn HB User

Almost all my childhood memories are about bad things that happened to me
( i was sexualy abused by a male family member) my memories include that, as well as memories of sickness and hospital stays.

Old 01-27-2008, 09:36 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

maybecrazy HB User

Hi Trg247 and Hi acaptainn,,

I guess I am looking for a reason why I got PTSD.... that's not quite right, it's hard to put into words - I have very few childhood memories - there was abuse and violence but I only remember one instance - I think I dealt with it by blocking it out - well i know I did really.
In my job I deal with confused people after injury and have been physically assaulted a few times and just "got on with it" they don't mean it so I never took offence - then my incident happened and the difference was that this person knew what what they were doing and it continued for about 5 hours and even though I coped at the time and made sure everyone was safe I slowly fell to pieces over the next few months with PTSD - so I guess I am looking for a reason why I fell to pieces... or an excuse for not copeing.... and that's why I was wondering about the bad childhood thing. so thanks for the info trg247

I am sorry that you had bad childhoods- my childhood thing was also a person who should have been looking after me and that's why I have problems trusting anyone - I hope you are both getting help.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:05 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybecrazy View Post
I guess I am looking for a reason why I got PTSD.... - I have very few childhood memories - there was abuse and violence but I only remember one instance - I think I dealt with it by blocking it out - well i know I did really.

- then my incident happened and the difference was that this person knew what what they were doing and it continued for about 5 hours and even though I coped at the time and made sure everyone was safe I slowly fell to pieces over the next few months with PTSD

- so I guess I am looking for a reason why I fell to pieces... or an excuse for not copeing.... and that's why I was wondering about the bad childhood thing.

- my childhood thing was also a person who should have been looking after me and that's why I have problems trusting anyone -
Hi Maybe, everything that you wrote could seem connected to me. 1) You have memories that you blocked, 2) as a child there was a person there who taught you not to trust, and 3) this incident stirred up those memories.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:13 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trg247 View Post
There are a lot of people who had absolutely perfect childhoods that later on developed PTSD.

There are people out there who had a perfect relationship at home but then entered an abusive partnership that led to PTSD or C-PTSD.

The argument can be if you were not taught proper emotional regulations or coping mechanisms then you may be more prone to PTSD triggered by a stressful event.

I know a lady who had an ideal childhood, went to university/college for psychology and worked for years in the community. She underwent a very serious traumatic event (which i will not go into in fear of triggering someone) and she ended up almost incapacitated with PTSD symptoms as her brain could not handle or deal with the situation that took place.
I just find it hard to believe. I have been at this site for 1 1/2 years and so far everyone had a bad childhood. I believe the argument that you put ^ there. Many people say they had ideal childhoods when they really didn't. That phrase came out of my mouth before. I lived in a stable home, no one abused me, I was never hungry. It was "perfect". Only later did I come to understand what was missing. Even something as simple as having an anxious parent can set you up for later not being able to successfully process a trauma.

Last edited by Sannah; 01-28-2008 at 08:16 AM.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:25 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

not everyone who goes though a less then ideal childhood ends up with PTSD or C-PTSD either though.

take care
trg247

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Closed Thread