HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/post-traumatic-stress-disorder-ptsd/)
-   -   just diagnosed... (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/post-traumatic-stress-disorder-ptsd/561392-just-diagnosed.html)

mochi* 12-16-2007 02:59 AM

just diagnosed...

Hi everyone,
I was just diagnosed with PTSD this week--caused by some things that happened a few years ago, that I won;t go into.
The truth is, I know very little about PTSD, what causes it and how it manifests.
I previously had a very specific idea of what caused it and how it affected people.
I am just confused becuase I don;t have flashbacks, or even much anxiety based on what happened--though I do have a sort of general inabilty to "let go" and relax anymore, and I feel more emotional in general, though I thought that might be becuase of the difficult break-ups I have undergone over the years, and the pain that resulted-- not necessarily the seperate "trauma" i had.
I am also wondering if a break-up itself can cause PTSD. I don;t think so, but my anxiety attacks began after a messy break-up I went through, from a long-term realtionship i was in.
Then, not long afterwards i had some expereinces that casued my PTSD. And my anxiety went triple-fold.
The thing is, I had been experiecing extreme ammounts of anxiety and depression before the traumatic stuff happened (sorry to be so vauge) and that just compounded it--leaving me with a general sense of abandonment, isolation, sadness and fear.
So my questions are:
what constitutes as a trauma? can a break=up be considered a trauma if it's a severe emotional, sudden loss?
What are the manifestations pf PTSD? How does it effect one's behavior in general?
I'm sorry my post is so all over the place, I am just trying to untangle the roots of my problems, and sicne the trauma and the break-up coincided--I can;t always tell what feelings I have now are a result of the break-up loss, or a reaction to the trauma.
Or both....
confusing, I know.
Thanks for listening.
;)

trg247 12-16-2007 11:36 AM

Re: just diagnosed...

Hi:

I am going to try and pick your statement apart then answer it from my perspective just to make it easier.

"So my questions are:
what constitutes as a trauma? can a break=up be considered a trauma if it's a severe emotional, sudden loss? "
- Anything that has an effect on the mind or body in a negative fashion can be considered a trauma

"What are the manifestations pf PTSD? How does it effect one's behavior in general?"
- They differ from person to person how they are effected. Common grounds which vary in severity from person to person is an increase in anxiety, flashbacks, nightmares, hyper vigalence, etc. Some people are able to lead a normal life with PTSD while others need work and time to get to that stage

Triggers are the big them and a lot of people have a lot of triggers that differ in severity to them. I have triggers where I will just swear as they are pretty tame but at the same time I have triggers that will bring on the darkest of depression in what feels like moment. One of the goals in recovery for this disorder is to recognize, deal with and take away the power of the triggers. The thing is triggers can be anything from a change in mental state to food to places to certain people so they are difficult to nail down. As for the stress part I have found when my stress level has gone up my triggers become a lot more sensitive.

Anyway hope this is helpfull and any more questions or concerns this board will gladly help.

take care
trg247

Phoenix777 12-19-2007 05:16 AM

Hi Mochi*

You possibly wont have all the symptons of PTSD, I mean we are all different. So not getting flashbacks dose not prove you don't have it. I for one never got nightmares. You can get PTSD in hightened emotional stress, Like a life threatening situations. Or something violent happening to you. Such as rape or beatings. It can effect your behavior, Because you might avoid things that remind you of an event. Everything trg247 said should be helpfull tho.

dustoffkid 12-19-2007 05:26 AM

[I]what constitutes as a trauma? can a break=up be considered a trauma if it's a severe emotional, sudden loss? [/I]

[FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkRed"]Yes, it could. Also, if you have another trauma lurking in the back somehwere, this new emotional upheaval could be a trigger.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[I]What are the manifestations pf PTSD? How does it effect one's behavior in general?[/I]

[FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkRed"]As was mentioned by trg and Phoenix, every one of us is different. We also all have different causes of this thing. I get flashback dreams and insomnia, could occasionally (but not consistently) be called hypervigilant, and have a mean startle response. But I don't have panic attacks and other typical PTSD symptoms. It also effects us all differently, and some of us are more functional than others.

One thing's for sure, though. Coming here is a good way to get some support. The people here are great.

Dustoff[/COLOR][/FONT]