It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2008, 01:52 PM   #1
(female)

beth11 HB User
ptsd want it to stop

just want the flashes to stop can any one tell me the rite kinda treatment
please ??//

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2008, 03:00 PM   #2
(female)

DnS901 HB User
Re: ptsd want it to stop

I'm not sure of the cause of your PTSD or how severe and how often your flashbacks are, but for mine, I was prescribed Ativan - .5 mg, of which I only take half - .25 mg and only before bed. My flashbacks were generally happening in the middle of the night when I'd wake up - sometimes from a dream, sometimes something would wake me up and force me into the flashback.

Do you see a psychologist, psychiatrist or grief counselor? I was so desperate for immediate help with mine that I went to my general practitioner and asked for something, which is when they gave me Ativan. I then followed up with a psychologist who I will continue seeing. Ativan is not meant to me a long-term solution, only a temporary one. Just an FYI.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2008, 04:18 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

maybecrazy HB User

Hi Beth11,

When I get a flashback I mostly just have to ride it out - but while it's happeening I try to remind myself (hard I know) that it's not happening now and that I am ok - I also try to get in touch with reality by holding ice in my hand or rubbing my hand on a rough surface or in running water - sometimes this works - hope this helps.

MBC

Old 09-09-2008, 01:00 PM   #4
(female)

ami5150 HB User

Hi! I don't know what your triggers are or how the fb's are affecting you. My fb's had a huge effect on me and not only affected me mentally but physcally. You will have to find the treatment that works best for you. For me, I have found that LENS works best for me. Just like with any treatments for PTSD, you still have to walk around in the muck before it gets better and you still need a good support system in place and at times you will still feel like you are loosing your mind. But, for me, this has had the best results. The first couple of weeks, the fb's were frequent and intesnse but I wasn't having the physical and the intense mental responses to them. I'm two month into the treatment and even though I'm still not getting a full night of sleep, I can now function through the fb's and no one around me has a clue they are happening.

My point is, find the best treatment that works for you. None of us out here will have the best answer for you but we can share what we have experienced so you can do some research, talk to you physician and make an educated desicion and choose what the best option is for you. Ask questions and talk to people, you'll find the best treatment for you. Good luck!

Old 09-09-2008, 08:25 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

maybecrazy HB User

Hi Beth11,

just wondering how you are going? are you seeing a psychologust? I am on Avanza which is an anti-depressant - this has helped me sleep which i think made a big difference to me - although i still jump at the slightest noise but hey at least i ma sleeping now - i had a flashback yesterday and i was always taught by my psyhcologist to say this is not happeneing now so i am safe - i survived it then so i can survive it now - it never made much difference but i guess it finally sank in because after the flashback i said that and I was able to slow my breathing down and slow my heart rate and stop the panic - i hope this helps to show you that there can be a light at the end of the tunnell - someties it just takes time to get there - hang in there and keep posting. Take care MBC

Old 09-11-2008, 10:00 PM   #6
(female)

gwoman HB User

Hello, what is LENS?

Old 10-17-2008, 06:39 AM   #7
(female)

beth11 HB User

it was suppose to say pnes which is psychogenic non epileptic seizures

Old 10-17-2008, 06:40 AM   #8
(female)