It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2008, 04:51 PM   #1
(female)

sam107 HB User
what does it mean when you blank out

I blanked out twice. One day I was driving and I did not know how I got from one lane to the other and my turning signal was on. About 2 days later I did not know how I got from point a to point b. I am not really stressed out or anything.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:46 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

maybecrazy HB User
Re: what does it mean when you blank out

Hi Sam107,

Have you seen a doctor? if not the it would be a good idea to see one and see if there is a physical cause for the blank out. they can then refer you on if you need to see someone else -

MBC

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2008, 05:50 PM   #3
(female)

sillychilibean HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam107 View Post
I blanked out twice. One day I was driving and I did not know how I got from one lane to the other and my turning signal was on. About 2 days later I did not know how I got from point a to point b. I am not really stressed out or anything.
Those are signs of amnesia, which are symptoms of DID (dissociative identity disorder) or dissociative fugue. Complex PTSD and dissociative disorders usually go hand in hand. DID is also not uncommon, it is just hard to diagnose because it is so well hidden, and people who have it are usually misdiagnosed their entire lives.

It would be good to contact your therapist or doctor and talk with them about your blank episodes. I am not a doctor, but it sounds like you are dissociative. The DSM-IV term for 'blanking out' is called dissociation. Its just a type of survival mechanism, like PTSD.

Silly

Old 11-16-2008, 07:15 AM   #4
(female)

lonelymum HB User

Hi

I hope I'm not too late in posting to your thread. I was recently diagnosed with Post Traumatic Disorder and am still working on the whys and wherefors. The "blank out" situation happened to me also but moreso than what you have written. I have and had been through much trauma and earlier this year I went through a very emotional traumatic situation. I awoke in a bed that I had bought the day before (a under the same roof separation) and did not know where I was, could not remember how I got there and why I was there. I was totally lost and confused. I did not know the people around me for a short time and felt terribly confused. Someone in the house got my friend over to talk me through things from the day before but it did not compute, I kept asking silly questions. She took me back to her house where I slept the rest of the morning. Another neighbour took me to the doctors the next morning where they put me on anti depressants not knowing what else to do. I have many blank moments. ie. I will be driving somewhere that I have driven many times before and get to ie. a roundabout and panick not knowing which direction. Sounds so stupid doesn't it? I am having psychological counselling and am on mild anti depressants which they want to increase as I keep having panick attacks. What to do I don't know, just interesting to read a similar story.

Old 11-17-2008, 05:32 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

maybecrazy HB User

I think sometimes we do things on automatic pilot - i knowthat happens a lot whilst im driving - i get from point a to point b and dont remember the journey - i put that down to auto pilot - im not stressed at those times - im just doing things without thinking about them

THe other type of blank i have is a complete loss of what i am saying or where i am going - and i just cant get the moments back - its hard to explain - I have had moments where i have not recognised where i am but they have been fleeting so i cannot imagine how youfelt lonelymum when you didnt know where you were - it must have been very upsetting and scary and I hope you get something that works for you sooner rather than later - I seem to be saying that a lot lately - I hope you find something that works for you - but i really do mean it - and i think we all have to find what works for us - it's good to hear from others so we do not feel so alone though - take care . MBC

Old 11-17-2008, 05:47 PM   #6
(female)

lonelymum HB User

I'd like to know how you were diagnosed with PTSD. I fit all the classical symptoms apparently. Had an abusive father and was molested as a child, raped later in years (not by my dad) but loads of others on top of. I have panic attacks quite regularly, weird thoughts go through my head at the time like I am seeing what I have seen before some time some other place and it's like re livinig a dream and then I sink through my whole body, I shake unctrollable and sometimes cry and sometimes throw up. the shaking takes a while to subside and it leaves me exhausted for most of the day after. I have had these attacks (in different shapes and forms) since a young child and I am now 50!!! Guess it's something I am just going to have to live with. I have not had another episode like the major I described again but the memory loss stuff gets to you doesn't it. Driving, it's interesting it happens to you. You think how can I not know where I am going I have been this direction so many times. Autopilot. You think it would kick in. I have had to turn around and come back so many times realising I have driven the wrong way. Are you doing anything about your situation? My psychologist is trying (in vain) to find out what it is that causes these attacks. He suggested upping my medication but have not done that. I have taken to drinking alcohol most nights as it relaxes me. they say a no no but it's become a habit now. I know it's not the answer though. Thanks for reading.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:57 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

maybecrazy HB User

I was attacked at work - not the first time and not the last i expect - but this time the guy knew what he was doing and tried to kill me and some others - we had the police - who eventually took him away but i had to look after the man that had tried to kill me for the next 5 hours - from as much distance as I could get - the work psych did a debrief then gave us a number to ring for help - I rang it and the guy i saw just wanted me to keep talking al the time without giving me any coping techniques so i switched off all my emotions - shut down my feelings and went numb - people thought I was coping but i was going deeper into despair - the last time i saw the work psych i told him i was having self destructive thoughts and he said "well we all have those dont we" so I didnt go back and I made my plans - someone at work saw through the pretend happy face i kept for work and basically nagged me into going to see a psych she knew - my turning point was when I left an injured bird at the side of the road - usually i would have taken it to a vet but i just left it there - something told me i had to get help and this was my last chance - So I went to see her psyche - he got me to tell him what happened got me to fill in lots of different forms filled with questions and then said i had PTSD - you nhave to fit certain criteria and you can find lots of info on the net -I looked it up after he told me and had a lot of ah ha! moments - he recommended a book - the ptsd sourcebook by glen shiraldi and i had a lot of ah ha moments with that too - i am sorry if i have one on a bit but i hope some of my rambling may help MBC

ps alcohol and anti-d's dont really go together - it reduces their effectiveness - and doesnt help in the long run - my psych would say short term gain long term pain ! he said that when i said it was better for me to shut off my feelings than deal with them - he is ill and i so i have not seen him for a while - i miss the sanity he brought to me - take care MBC

Last edited by maybecrazy; 11-17-2008 at 07:25 PM. Reason: add a ps

Old 11-18-2008, 01:42 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

isitme HB Userisitme HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonelymum View Post
I have had to turn around and come back so many times realising I have driven the wrong way.

I can relate to that. Over the weekend was the worst I have ever suffered! I went in the wrong direction both going and coming. It makes you feel so crazy. It wasn't an unfamilar route......... but it certainly was that day. I felt completely LOST!! I know I was locked in the past at the time. A mind full of flashing, distant memories. Does that make sense.

Are you doing anything about your situation? My psychologist is trying (in vain) to find out what it is that causes these attacks. He suggested upping my medication but have not done that. I have taken to drinking alcohol most nights as it relaxes me. they say a no no but it's become a habit now. I know it's not the answer though. Thanks for reading.

From your post, it sounds like you've had ptsd from childhood, but a full blown episode hasn't happened for some time. That's what seems to be happening to me. I also turned to the drink and yes, I knew it wasn't the answer either. It's like there is no escape from yourself, (your persistant thoughts/memories/all randon and cluttering the brain) and that is when I would drink.......then be really annoyed with myself for having done so)!

Last edited by isitme; 11-18-2008 at 01:43 AM.

Old 12-08-2008, 03:25 AM   #9
(female)

lonelymum HB User

Isitme

Have been caught up with day to day things and have not visited the site for a while. My goodness it is so good afer all this time to find others to relate to. The confusion in one's brain. I know, I know. I have had to just stop still at times in the middle of a shopping centre and think, why am I here, what am I doing the the chaos in the head. It's sometimes like a thousand voices going on. My dreams are incredible. I sleep terribly so much going on in my head. I'd love to be hynotised (the psych says not the answer). Maybe even regression therapy. I have not seen my psych for 3 weeks now, I felt I was getting no further ahead for AUD$140 a visit!!! Yes agree re the combo of alcohol and anti depressants (the later of which I have been on and off for years). They have not found the answers to my PTSD problems. Neither has the alcohol but the alcohol is a latter addition and not the reason for my PTSD. Like you said the numbness and mellowness it brings to me is a relief. The attack episodes mostly happen during the day, not when I am drinking. Funny, I had a week around a month ago where I had say 6 days in a row where I had 2-3 pannic attacks each morning, it was exhausting and then bang they suddenly stopped and I have not had one since? What causes all of this. Seriously if we have all had some sort of trauma in our lives it just has to be. Some people obviously deal with it and get on with their lives whereby some others like us I just can only say that we are more gentle souls that hold onto memories moreso. We are all different. Again, I have to admit that people that know me know that I have had more than my fair share of happenings in my life than the average, maybe adding it all up has caused this to stay with me as maybe with you. Do I make sense? I am tired of paying people big money (that I don't have) to get nowhere. It would be nice to keep chatting. I will keep a check on line for your response. Take care.

Old 12-09-2008, 04:32 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

maybecrazy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonelymum View Post

I have had to just stop still at times in the middle of a shopping centre and think, why am I here, what am I doing

Yes I can relate to that - or driving to work on my day off when I should be going shopping - its so frustrating!

My dreams are incredible. I sleep terribly so much going on in my head.

that's part of the reason i went on anti-depressants - the ones i have - AVANZA - have a sedating effect and I take them at night so i can sleep - sleep deprivation really doesnt help you cope any

I'd love to be hynotised (the psych says not the answer). Maybe even regression therapy.

I asked my psych if he woud hypnotise me and just tell me it was all over but he said it wouldnt work - that i had to work through what happened - I think he was right - but i wish there was an easy fix to this

I have not seen my psych for 3 weeks now, I felt I was getting no further ahead for AUD$140 a visit!!!

I know it's expensive - if you dont think you are getting anywhere suggest you talk to your psyche about it - or maybe find another if you not happy with them - but maybe give them another chance first - I had to see 3 before I found one I trusted and who didnt either want to treat me like a child or their best friend

Funny, I had a week around a month ago where I had say 6 days in a row where I had 2-3 pannic attacks each morning, it was exhausting and then bang they suddenly stopped and I have not had one since? What causes all of this.

I found my panic attacks came when I felt most out of control - for example I could nt find a parking space and had a panic attack - dumb I know - afterwards I realised all I had to have done was drive home and thats what i did the next time - but at the time i was like a rabbit in the headlights - i was so angry with myself - not helpful!

Seriously if we have all had some sort of trauma in our lives it just has to be. Some people obviously deal with it and get on with their lives whereby some others like us I just can only say that we are more gentle souls that hold onto memories moreso.
My psyche said that's our level of resilience - we all have different levels and get to our breaking points at different times - i had been attacked many times before this one - there was also other stuff in my past and I had dealt with it - then this last event was what broke the camels back so to speak!

take care MBC

Maybecrazy

Closed Thread