It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2008, 11:30 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

maybecrazy HB User
is there a link to ocd from ptsd?

Hi Everyone,

I wondered if anyone else has developed checking habits after getting ptsd? One of my major issues (still is) after getting attacked was safety and i check my car doors and the doors and windows of my flat every time i go in or out - sometimes more than once or twice (often 3 or 4 times)- especially with my car - i can check the doors and that the handbrake is on and the lights are out 3 or 4 times this seems to increase when i am heading for depression or after a flashback or incident that reminds me of what happened at work - it's like i dn't trust what ive seen - (i didnt trust myself for a long time because i thought i should have seen what was coming) - does anyone else have this? I don't even know if this would be classed as OCD or just anxiety - if this has happened to you how do you manage it?

MBC

Old 09-11-2008, 01:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

negot HB Usernegot HB User
Re: is there a link to ocd from ptsd?

I think it sounds normal to check all those things after being attacked. Of course you are worried about your safety now. Please don't blame yourself, most of the times we don't see something like that coming. I hope you reported the perpetrator to the police.
I check doors, windows, etc several times in the evening and I have not been attacked. I do it because of anxiety. I think that checking does increase with increased anxiety level.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2008, 05:42 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

maybecrazy HB User

Hi Negot,

So how do we stop it? if i try not to check i get more anxious and get convinced something bad will happen if i don't check - i dont want to keep on doing this ...... it's almost two years since i was attacked - it should be over by now.

MBC

Old 09-12-2008, 08:51 AM   #4
(female)

gwoman HB User

Hello Maybecrazy.....I have checked and re-checked certain things for years. I have come to accept it and I think it through when I am in this mode of behavior. I go to the back door and lock it, I stand there and say, okay, it is locked I know for sure it is locked as good as it can be, I know I checked, I am free of any worry or doubt, period. I know I checked the stove, if I must, for my own sanity and security, I will recheck something, anything, but I go through a process that helps me remember as I stand there telling myself I have done all that I can do, it is locked, it is off, I know this for sure. Sometimes I will leave the room, put my hand on the door knob to leave and recall the things I rechecked. This helps me tremendously, I still, to this very day, have to turn my car around and go home and recheck. I still have to get out of bed and recheck, but it is less, when I go through the process of thinking it through and telling myself that I indeed did lock up, turn off, I did everything I could do and I can relax, do whatever I need to do in my home. Safety and peace come, definitely at a price for us, I pray a lot, I receive a lot of assurance through prayer. I wouldn't be here without it and I wont survive without it. I just try to accept this (even though it makes me mad at times and frustrates me to death), I accept that this process helps give me the security and peace of mind that I need to move forward. I feel silly to go through this over and over, but I do and I am 45. Go figure. I hope this is helpful, I know some things can be and others are not, just throw this one out if it is useless to you. Please, take care and have a good day......I'm here.....G

Old 09-12-2008, 07:42 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

maybecrazy HB User

Thanks G just knowing that others are having the same probs helps - i don't feel quite so crazy (although ......) I too stand at my car and say the handbrake is on and the doors are locked and the lights are off - i walk around the car and check it then as I walk away i feel compelled to check it again - just like when check things in my flat (windows doors under the bed etc) you're right it's frustrating and it feels like he has won - i didnt do this before - but you have to deal with the "now" dont you - so i guess i'll keep checking for now and live in hopes...

thankyou and take care,

MBC

Closed Thread