It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2008, 12:05 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

maybecrazy HB User
This may help....

Having a bad time at present - just part of the cycle I guess - but I found something that .... well it doesnt stop how I feel - but it stops it from getting worse - so here it is - it may work for you or not - just putting it out there.

You have to name something you see and say it's colour whilst taking a breath and you have to do it twelve times e.g.,

1 take a breath (slow as possible) say something you see and it's colour so
1 take a breath - yellow sign
2 TAB - blue folder
3 and so on -
by doing this to twleve you get the thinking part of your brain to take over from your emotional bpart of your brain - it's stopped me from going to a full blown panic attack and may or may not work for you - I hope it makes sense - I know I don't make much sense at the moment - but just wanted to put this out there - hope everyone is well - MBC

Old 10-06-2008, 02:03 AM   #2
(female)

waratah HB User
Re: This may help....

Hi MBC,

(opps . . . . .. . . . . . long post . . . . . .. .again - sorry)

Very saddened to hear that things not too good at present. This is indeed part of the curse of PTSD etc. These troublesome cycles of upswings and downswings are part and parcel of PTSD.

When I'm deteriorating, I find it helps to be really really kind to myself, and not put too many expectations or goals on my personal agenda. As a society, we're so aspirational, constantly striving for bigger, better, faster, fitter, weller (not sure if that's actually a word), these constant pressures to 'do well', 'be well', are society's expectations for us to show how adept we are at performing at our peak. But PTSD doesn't abide by societal ruls and expectations, it seemingly has it's own agenda. Just when you feel a little more at ease, coping with life, feeling more confident etc. . . . It jumps up again just to remind you that it's still there, working in the background to tell you that you're not yet well, and to take very very very good care of yourself.
MBC, I really really hope you can discard those societal expectations for you to strive and aspire to 'get over PTSD' - I suspect this originally came from someone who never actually faced the same challenges you did and do on a daily basis. Because if anyone understands the difficulty of these troublesome cycles, it usually another person who has also faced these challenges.

MBC please be very kind to yourself. You're allowed to have 'down days', hide under you doona, stay indoors listening to music or DVD's, not speak to anyone but the dog. You'll emerge from this hiatus when your body and mind is good and ready, and not to anyone else's schedule of expectations but only respond to your own needs, not to others expectations.

Remeber, we're here too, and truly do understand how these setbacks are a bit of a double burden of disappointment. Disapointment with yourself perhaps for not being "well enough' to cope with these challenges, and perhaps also disappointment in the eyes of your psychologist who thought you were 'doing so well', but now must face up to the reality of your current status. I feel sure that he will understand how these cycles affect you too.

Take care now,
waratah x x x

<removed>

Last edited by mod-anon; 10-06-2008 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Please respond in a supportive and respectful manner to other posters.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2008, 12:41 AM   #3
(female)

shamayashea HB User

Hi, MBC and Waratah, I was thankful of both of your post and comments in here. At least I have a little background of myself and what I am going through right now. I think, I have found a place for me to share something I've been going through. You are not alone in this battle. Take care. Sham

Last edited by shamayashea; 10-09-2008 at 01:34 AM.

Old 10-11-2008, 05:07 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

maybecrazy HB User

Hi Sham, I havnt talked to you before - so welcome - and thankyou for your support - I hope you find all you need here. MBC

Hi Waratah,

Once again you hit the nail on the head - and I really should know better by now - but I get tired of running round like a mouse in a wheel - just when you think you are getting the hang of it you fall over and the wheel spins out of control. and yes I am disapointed with myself that I know a lot of copeing techniques and yet couldnt or wouldnt use them - at times like these I wonder why I havnt learned from the past, I remember a quote from somewhere - those who do not learn from the past are destined to repeat it - inside i know that the healing takes as long as it takes - but sometimes it's hard to believe that.

My sister has moved into her own flat now so that has taken a lot of the pressure off - I dont have to pretend to be happy around her (she has left her husband and so didnt need my probs and can't deal with them anyway) and I am just so tired, now at least I can lay down all day till I go to work if I want to .

Being kind to myself is something that I am trying to do and not something im used to - and I think i am grieving for the person who I used to be - she's gone now and I dont think shes ever coming back - I took your advice and did 3 things for me 1-, I ate a HUGE bar of chocolate 2 - I lay in bed until 11am today (would have stayed longer but have work this afternoon) 3 - I came back here - wish me luck today I am having trouble hiding how sad I feel at work - I am sure with rest I will be ok.

I hope you are ok and that you are being kind to you take care MBC

Old 10-14-2008, 10:25 PM   #5
(female)

waratah HB User
Talking Re: This may help....

Being kind to myself is something that I am trying to do and not something im used to - and I think i am grieving for the person who I used to be - she's gone now and I dont think shes ever coming back - I took your advice and did 3 things for me 1-, I ate a HUGE bar of chocolate 2 - I lay in bed until 11am today (would have stayed longer but have work this afternoon) 3 - I came back here - wish me luck today I am having trouble hiding how sad I feel at work - I am sure with rest I will be ok.

I hope you are ok and that you are being kind to you take care MBC[/QUOTE]

Hi MBC and others on this post,

Very glad to hear you did some nice things for yourself and my hope is that this may become a habit you will find hard to kick. I got into a fair bit of strife from the admin moderator about that post suggesting you do some nice things for yourself. Apparently their interpretation is that I was holding myself out to be an 'expert', and telling you what you "had to do" i.e prescriptive. Oh well - we live and we learn - got it sorted out now - I think?

It feels so so self-indulgent to do little things for me sometimes, but I got so crook last year that I now believe that 'today' is the day I need to do things that make me feel good. Not next week, or next year, or when the kids grow up, of when such and such occurs. . . . . . but I need to do things for me - now!
So I bought a little sail boat, sleep untill miday if I so choose on certain days, my house looks like a dog's breakfast, kids have gone feral, diner now often consists of nuggets and chips, hubby is completely perplexed and astonished, and I wouldn't say I don't care at all, but I certainly care much less than I used to about fulfilling the needs of others.

Good to hear your sister has moved into her own flat. This may enable you to concentrate on making your home your sanctuary. Doing the little things that make it feel good when you walk in the door. Stimulate your senses e.g. pot-pouri, plants etc., do you have a pet? Perhaps a cocky or galah, or a moggie or even a small doggy if you can manage it. Get out into the sunshine with a great book & remembering to 'slip, slop, slap'.

My goodness I think I had better begin taking my own advice caue I'm feeling pretty flat at present. Don't know if the problem is my current medication regime, Thyroid status, or depression. But just want to sleep all day cause I'm exhausted and very unproductive.

Take care now, regards waratah

Old 10-20-2008, 12:14 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

maybecrazy HB User

HI Waratah,

Sorry you had some strife - glad it's ok now - maybe you are on the same cycle i am on at the moment - glad to hear that you are doing some fun things - hey if the kids go feral that's ok - I was one of six feral kids and we turned out ok - well apart from me being ever so slightly crazy! that is ha ha (not sure if im joking there) anyway today a storm is brewing and for somereason my depression has lifted just enough so I can see that there is a tunnell - no light yet but a tu nnel is better than the pitch black i was in - take care MBC

Closed Thread