It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2008, 01:52 PM   #1
(female)

oxymoron270 HB User
Looking for Suggestions -- Coping Skills

Hey,

I have ptsd issues from when I was a kid. The events stopped when I was about 10, now I'm 17. I didn't really think about what happened that much until I was 15, and basically exploded because I was triggered all of a sudden. I talked about it for a few months but it made me anxious and angry, so I pretended I was feeling better. Now, two years later, I still think about it all the time. The other day I exploded about it again. I've had a pretty hard week. I don't know how to get it out of my head, and I've already tried and re-tried all the coping skills that usually work for me in situations. Does anyone have suggestions on coping skills that work for them?

Thanks,
Oxy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2008, 02:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

isitme HB Userisitme HB User
Re: Looking for Suggestions -- Coping Skills

Have you tried EMDR. I'll be having it very soon and it is supposed to have great results. Just talking/venting on line helps unburden brain overload. Welcome.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2008, 02:39 PM   #3
(female)

oxymoron270 HB User

I tried EMDR for something else before I got this ptsd stuff. I didn't personally like it because it was too "weird" for me. It's supposed to be good though...but it's just not my type.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:41 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

maybecrazy HB User

Hi Oxymoron270 and Welcome and Hi isitme,

I have tried EMDR once and it helped me - i guess its different for each person but I hope it goes well for you isitme. I also tried EFT thats like acupressure I found that helped.

When I am on the edge of a panic attack i try a breathing and counting exercise i was told lately - you take a breath and say something you see and its colour you do this twelve times with different things you see and this is supposed to put the thinking part of the brain back in control from the emotional one - i have tried it and it works for me at the moment - other things are distraction techniqueslike putting ice in your hand or tuching a rough surface and trying to concentrate on how it feels - exercise is also good - when i feel like i am goin gto explode i go for a walk o rgo to my local gyma dn work out really hard till im exhausetd - these are only distraction though and eventually i think we all have to deal with the issues causing the symptoms - a psychologist is helping me do that - I hoe you find what works for you and keep posting here because that helps. MBC

Last edited by maybecrazy; 11-17-2008 at 06:42 PM. Reason: add an option

Old 11-17-2008, 06:42 PM   #5
(female)

oxymoron270 HB User

thanks for your suggestions. i'm going to try them for sure.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:00 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

maybecrazy HB User

you're welcome - good luck

Closed Thread