It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2009, 01:52 PM   #1
(female)

BreathNoMore HB User
Is this PTSD?!

I was very recently raped and have begun to notice some psychological changes that are rather alarming but I am unsure as to whether or not they would be considered PTSD.

For the first few days after the rape, I walked around in a daze. I was in complete shock about the whole ordeal and was unable to make sense of my feelings. Since then, I've had some time to sit down and think, and have become very concerned about some of the feelings I've been experiencing since the incident. I dream about the rape sometimes at night, and I wake up and have a panic attack. Or sometimes just thinking about it throws me into a panic attack. I've developed a fear of having sex with men and have lost all desire to have sex...ever again. I feel very uncomfortable being touched and find myself wanting to be alone almost all of the time. I feel like I'm a completely different person because of this...almost like I'm detached from the world around me, or that I'm standing on the outside looking in.

I don't really know a lot about PTSD, so I'm not quite sure if this would qualify. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-06-2009, 03:31 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

maybecrazy HB User
Re: Is this PTSD?!

Hi Breathnomore,

I think a lot of it could be shock, and depression and also PTSD -

the not being in touch with reality feelings could be shock and the nightmares and panic attacks could be from PTSD - withdrawing from the world would seem to be a natural reaction to such a trauma - but it often leads to depression - this is a time when you need support.

Are you seeing a rape counciller? or a psychologist? they can really help you through a trauma such as this -

you are not going crazy, you have been through a traumatic event and your midn and body is trying to make sense of it - I hope you are receiving help or will think of getting some - this is a hard thing to deal with on your own.

Take care MBC

Maybecrazy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2009, 05:39 PM   #3
(female)

BreathNoMore HB User

I've been taking Celexa and Trazodone to treat severe depression for the past two and a half months now, and before the rape, I was really starting to note some positive changes. I was feeling happier, energetic, more social...and then this happened and it's like my whole world fell apart again. I can't afford rape counceling or therapy because I don't have health insurance. I really want to seek professional help because I don't think I can handle this alone. I just want somebody to talk to. Someone that'll listen to me cry and reassure me that everything will be okay. I feel so scared and alone...

Thank you so much for your advice.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:13 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

maybecrazy HB User

in some places rape counsellors are free - they are attached to the police -I dont know if you are religious? some religions have free councilling too, failing that there are helplines - some are not much good but hey, any port in a storm right.

Speak with your Dr - maybe they can suggest something - you never know -

talk to your friends and family - it helps to get this out in the open - take care MBC - here's an angelo to watch over you

Maybecrazy

Closed Thread