It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2009, 05:54 PM   #1
(female)

Wrenrobin HB User
Flashbacks

I have been having flashbacks everyday. My husband thinks I just want attention but he is trying to understand. I feel so alone and scared. I don't know if I should go to the hospital or not. I can see and feel things in the flashbacks does this happen to anyone else?

Old 01-24-2009, 01:29 AM   #2
(male)

Northwest1 HB User
Re: Flashbacks

Hi, you're not alone. I've been having them for years, sometimes intense, other times just little flashes of a bad memory. When they do come up I try to focus on something else, as if I let it take over...well, hope you get the point. Hang in there.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2009, 02:06 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

maybecrazy HB User

Hi,

Yes Ive had flashbacks - with timne and seeing apsychologist they have become less of a problem - are you two seeing a psychologist? or getting any help?

When I have a flashback I use the gorunding techniwues I have been taught - I hold a piece of ice in my hand, I put my hands under cold running water, I do sums in my head, I make a reall strong cup of coffee and take a big swig! anything that can distract you and ground you - remind yourself that this is not happeneing now and that you are safe - that you got through it before so you can again.

It can be hard for those who deal with us to accept what is going on - my sister thought I was attention seeking too - that makes it hard for you, try to explain to your husband what happens to you, it can only help

take care MBC

Maybecrazy

Old 01-24-2009, 04:27 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB User

My PTSD stems from being sexually molested as a child by my father, up until a year ago I had repressed all of this. Then the last week of December 07 my brain unlocked and everything came flooding back, it put me into a near catatonic state. Now I have flashbacks all of the time, in the car, at work, at home, etc. Mine are worse when I'm relaxed and let myself off guard, when they come on I do aversion techniques which I learn in DBT Therapy.

kat

Old 02-27-2009, 09:10 PM   #5
(female)

Pandora1961 HB User

Wren, I'd like to share my experience. First, I learned the hard way THE most important thing is to find a mate who loves you enough to learn about PTSD. Here's the thing. It's well-documented that we tend to choose mates that trigger our serious trauma so we can deal with it again. The problem is when we choose someone who makes us relive the horror instead of recreate new ways of responding to the triggers. Whenever my first husband got mad at me, he purposefully set off my triggers by raising his voice, telling me to F myself, and pushing me around. This made me crazier. He would point out I was acting crazy. Thing is as you know with PTSD, his expressions, words, violence transported me right back to the abuse I grew up with and I literally heard ringing in my ears and froze. I was seeing a therapist at the time of my breakthrough regarding my husband, and had up to that time insisted my issues related to the abuse my father and mother inflicted on me (sexual abuse from birth to 10 years and psychological and physical abuse until I left at 18). The last violence episode and left F word from my first husband's mouth changed my feelings for him forever. I saw clearly that I picked an abuser who would forever taunt me and make me feel inferior. After I finally left (it was hard with two little kids), my career totally took off, I got seriously into exercise and other things I loved, and out of nowhere came a guy who ended up being my second husband. I'm sure my attraction to him stems from his potential to be abusive. But he has treated me so tenderly and cautiously, and tried so hard to understand what I'm going through, he has literally helped me change my brain wiring. He is well aware of my triggers and steadfastly refuses to allow me to put myself in situations where triggers will occur. For example, he never leaves me alone on the rare occasion I see my mother, and he has no problem telling her she is acting inappropriately and getting me out of the situation before I get the ringing in my ears. May I suggest a gentle therapist, a regular yoga practice, and extreme kindness to yourself? Give yourself a break. You are not crazy. We don't ostracize diabetics and we give them insulin. Talk to a doctor, assess where you are, and try some changes. Good luck.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:22 PM   #6
(male)

matelot53 HB User

i suffered flashbacks after a traumatic event in my life in 95 & now they have came back due to change of shifts at my work.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:27 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

maybecrazy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by matelot53 View Post
i suffered flashbacks after a traumatic event in my life in 95 & now they have came back due to change of shifts at my work.
Welcome matelot, sorry you are going through this - hope you are getting some help.

How are you doing Wrenrobin?

Maybecrazy

Closed Thread