It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2009, 10:18 AM   #1
(female)

JKMurphy HB User
Son witnessed accident

Hello all
I'm new here so forgive me if i'm posting in the wrong bit...
On friday afternoon my 3year old son witnessed a drunk driver ploughing into my husbands car, sending him off the road and through a lamp post. Whilst physically my husband is fine, the effect it has had on my son is worrying me.
He has started to wet himself and talks a lot about the bad man who crashed into daddy. He is also very clingy and cries at the drop of a hat. Also losing his temper over the smallest little things.
I have been told to wait 4/5 weeks to see how his behaviour is, and if we still have problems, to consider councelling. Meanwhile we have talked about it and trying to reassure him that daddy is fine and not going anywhere, we have also replayed the accident using his toy cars, but i am wondering if there is anything else i can do to help him.
Should i still be sending him to preschool to keep things 'normal' or should i keep him off and spend some good quality time with him? Any other ideas welcome please xx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2009, 03:00 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: Son witnessed accident

I'm so sorry about the accident...I would suggest to keep things as normal as possible, and go on with life (and pre-school) as planned. Once that he realizes that daddy is really ok, and some time passes without incident, he will probably get over this. Poor little guy, sounds like you are doing all the right things.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2009, 05:43 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

maybecrazy HB User

Hi JKMurphy and Welcome,

I agree that keeping things as normal as possible would be the way to go and talking it out - not hiding it - which is exactly what you are doing - then if the symptoms do not subside - yep a counciller would help - I know this is tough for you and your husband so dont forget to look after yourselves too MBC

Maybecrazy

Old 02-01-2009, 03:27 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

captnanny HB User

I also agree with what everyone is saying. Keeping things as normal as possible will allow him to process it as his rate. Poor little guy. It sounds like you are doing all the things you can to help. The cars replaying it is also what a therapist would do. Do you know if the drunk driver was arested. Sometimes, well for the children I nanny for they like to know if a bad person is in jail. I think it eases their mind on keeping things safe in the town. Maybe that would help too, when he talks about the bad man who hit daddy you can tell him that that bad man went to jail and probaby won't be around anymore. I don't know if this is true, don't know if he's a neighbor or something but they do go jail even if it's just for the night. Your son does not need to know all the details but just heariing jail brings a sense of safety to some children. At least from my experience.

Closed Thread