It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2009, 02:59 PM   #1
(female)

tickleme85 HB User
EMDR therapy - not for me?

Hi
I've been speaking to a counselor for a while but I still have some issues that are too difficult to talk about. He has suggested I try EMDR but after reading about it I'm not sure that it is something I want to try. I can't face reliving past events. Any suggestions on how I get through this? It's really starting to affect my life in a major way

Last edited by mod-anon; 05-22-2009 at 10:00 PM. Reason: starting a new thread with this post.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2009, 05:22 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

maybecrazy HB User
Re: EMDR therapy - not for me?

EMDR worked for me - helped me get rid of some of the emotions connected to mmy event really quickly - worth a try maybe?

the good thing was i didnt have to talk about it - she just said think of whats upsetting you and then she did the emdr - asked where the feelings were - that was all - keep in touch - take care (hugs)

Maybecrazy

Last edited by mod-anon; 05-22-2009 at 09:59 PM. Reason: edited title

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2009, 11:09 PM   #3
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickleme85 View Post
Hi
I've been speaking to a counselor for a while but I still have some issues that are too difficult to talk about. He has suggested I try EMDR but after reading about it I'm not sure that it is something I want to try. I can't face reliving past events. Any suggestions on how I get through this? It's really starting to affect my life in a major way
Hello T:

Some on these boards are of the school of thought that staying in the "here and now" is the best way to go.

There are others that say the past is the key to the present.

As I can understand the rationale of both, I will say that you need to do what works for you.

If you are unsure,talk to your therapist about this; it will take the stress off you and keep your therapist better informed.

Respectfully,
Phoenix

Old 05-28-2009, 03:15 AM   #4
(female)

cetiya HB User

its hard to say, if you think about what happened all the time anyway, then it would be a good idea to think it out with a trained therapist who can teach you how to process it better. if you try not to think about it but am suffering anyway, could be time to bring it out in the light and open. you have to have the right shrink, someone you trust to show them your hidden fears and feelings. but i know all too well, some things are so frightening, that thinking about them in detail can be agonizing. I'm sure you will make the right decision, just stay open to all kinds of treatment. EMDR has had very good results.

Closed Thread