It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2009, 08:45 AM   #1
(male)

Roy1399 HB User
Question It's so hard coming home from war.

Hello,

I have been home from Iraq for nearly four years now and been really struggling ever since. In 2007, I was diagnosed with PTSD and began treatment, but coping on my own, I started to abuse all of my controlled substances like Valium, Klonopin, Lortab, Ritalin, and Ativan. I never took my Zoloft or Risperidol because I was numb from the benzo's and pain killers. The Ritalin only kept me awake, which made it appear I didn't abuse, and functional around my family.

Everyday I would wake up to same regiment of pills, keeping me numb, and that is only if I slept from the night before. This went on for two years until I introduced alcohol, along with the prescriptions, and suicide became a constant thought.

The war was always on my mind, constantly blaming myself for not bringing home all of my troops and doubting decisions I made in the middle of battle. Things I could never change, but still beat myself up daily.

Then, being an addict, I constantly got my meds increased and became more numb and drunk. I attempted suicide five times, with five hospitalizations, all not doing anything to help me.

Now, it's 2009, and I just completed an intensive treatment program for PTSD and addictions and am starting to lose focus again. I do not want to go down that road again, but my mind is numb on it's own and emotionally I am not here. I barely had the courage to write this post. So, what am I suppose to do now? Any advice would be great because this PTSD is hell and is not going away, even as I take my med correctly now.

Thank You,

Roy1399

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2009, 08:56 AM   #2
(female)

CTWsAngel HB User
Re: It's so hard coming home from war.

Roy,

First let me start by thanking you for sacrificing your life for my and my family's freedom. Yes it is true that some men gave all but you have to trust that that was God's plan, and he did not intend for you to hold that responsibility! I can imagine that second guessing yourself is normal for any life and death situation but that fact that you are alive should help in knowing that you did the right things at the right times. I don't know a lot about the military, I grew up in a small town in Nebraska so military wasn't a big part of my family's life but I have married and ex-Marine, I have a son in the Army now, and a brother-in-law in Iraq as we speak. I can only imagine what you are going through but I know that drugs and alcohol will only prolong the pain you are in because it tricks you into believing it is gone and "numb" but then it always comes back right?

Do you have or have you thought about getting a pet? I am a big advocate for pet therapy as I have seen first hand how it takes a person who is suffering pain no one can understand and eases it with unconditional love a cat or dog can offer. If you have someone to take care of, then you can take the focus off of your past experience and gain new ones. I don't know if that will really help you but you didn't mention any family or friends that you have tried to reach out to, so I am guessing really. Please know that I care and I am here if you ever need to talk. Please don't give in to the temptations that you are feeling especially taking your own life, you are here for a reason, a purpose, true you may not know what it is but God does and you are a child of God, turn to Him and talk to Him. I will pray for you, please be at peace.

God Bless

Old 06-06-2009, 01:28 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

reg12 HB User

Hi Roy,
Welcome to this site. I am trying to get information from the government and assistance out of the VA now myself. I have several friends with son's that are having problems after their return, so I know a little bit about what your coming from. I got my emotions back, but it took years on my own. I am glad you did write in here. Maybe this will help.

Old 06-14-2009, 05:37 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

maybecrazy HB User

Roy are you receiving therapy? meds are only half the battle and gettingthe right therapist can help

keep posting - it helps (hugs if ok)

Maybecrazy

Old 07-17-2009, 05:16 PM   #5
(female)

nytocaligirl HB User

Roy,

thank you for your service

as some of the people who have posted already you should continue with therapy it is crutial in helping you lead the most normal life you can. maybe take up a hobby to keep yourself occupied during the times that you feel like you are losing control. meditation works a bit but only if you are in a place that you feel safe. these are a few things that have helped me for the most part with dealing with stressers. My brother was killed 4 1/2years ago in iraq so i do understand some of the problems that you are facing. please dont blame yourself for your troops not coming home safe i assure you the families dont.

the best advice i can give is to go to the local Disabled American Vets office. they wont turn their back on anyone and will be able to help you with any problem you might have, the people who work there are vets so they do understand unlike some of the other places.

best of luck

Old 07-27-2009, 12:18 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

dustoffkid HB Userdustoffkid HB User

Well, looks like Roy posted on 5 June and never came back. I was hoping to find other combat vets with issues so that we could compare notes, or whatever.

I hope he's okay.

-doc

Old 07-27-2009, 05:19 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

reg12 HB User

Hi doc,
I was hoping for the same thing. If you want to write I will answer you.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:32 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

maybecrazy HB User

i hope hes ok too - mbc

Maybecrazy

Old 07-28-2009, 11:15 AM   #9
(male)

Roy1399 HB User
Thumbs down Re: It's so hard coming home from war.

Hi Friends,

I'm okay, I relapsed on pills and lost focus again.
My life has went downhill fast and I'm working on rebuilding
my marriage, which is nearly over due to my self-pity and guilt.
I am lost emotionally everyday and fight to stay sober, when the pills
make the memories go away and the VA keeps pumping them down me.

I do not know if today or tomorrow I'll lose control again, but I feel like
life in general isn't ever going to get better with this PTSD in control.

I will do my best to stay in touch with you all and Thank You for all the support!

Roy

Old 07-28-2009, 01:12 PM   #10
Veteran
(male)

reg12 HB User

Hi Roy,
Glad to hear you are doing. Good luck on the VA. I hope you do good with that marriage. Write if we can help in any way.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:53 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

dustoffkid HB Userdustoffkid HB User

Roy,

Funny how I never even heard of you until a couple of days ago when I logged in looking for support, but I've been thinking about you and hoping you're okay.

I know how it is dealing with VA, too- I've been struggling with them for a while now and am beginning to think that I can't resolve my issues with them as long as we are here (there is one more PCS in our future as hubby moves on to his final duty station). Hopefully you'rs resolves more easily.

I wish you luck and strength in your struggles to maintain your marriage- it takes a lot of work and commitment on both sides.

Let us know if you need support!
-doc

Old 07-29-2009, 03:32 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

maybecrazy HB User

Glad to hear from you Roy - sorry for what you are going through - are the VA supplying therapy for you? meds are good but you need an experienced T someone who knows trauma to help you.

take care MBC

Maybecrazy

Old 08-05-2009, 12:25 PM   #13
(male)

Roy1399 HB User
Needing So Many Types of Help...Just Don't Know Where To Start?

Hello Friends,

I know where to find help and I know how to swallow pills that help, but there is so much more that my family has no clue about. Recently, the VA mailed me a double order of Klonopin, suppose to take 2 pills per day (1mg each) I had 60 pills on Friday and then Saturday, another 60 pills arrived. Feeling like I couldn't handle stress either days (which is entirely a placebo effect, because of having the pills in my possession) I consumed all 120 pills by yesterday morning.

The entire weekend was a blur, my wife knows something went haywire, but because I hide my bottles and use the excuse "the Lithium causes slurred speech and drowsiness", she tends not to pry into what is going on.

Again, I fell off the wagon hard and am not happy about my actions, because I need to be a father and husband, not a strung out junkie that I am, anymore.

Today, without the Klonopin, I am withdrawing really bad and took some old Vicodin to calm me down (which only aggrevated my anxiety). I told you all in my first thread that I am killing myself slowly, well do you all believe me now. I am going to the VA tomorrow and entering substance abuse counseling (for the second time) and try to beat these addictions.

I am sorry if I let any or you all down...but at least I am not boasting about how cool I am.

Regards,

Roy

Old 08-06-2009, 06:41 AM   #14
(male)

Roy1399 HB User
Red face Just Wondering How Much More I Can Take?

I know you have given me some greeat advice and it's much appreciated, but it seems like everyday I get another shot of bad news about my healthl. I just got back from the doctor who confirmed that I have Hepatitis C (I have no idea how I got it) I've been truthfully manghomse with my wife for seven years and never shared a needle or used a needle in my life.

Then I woke up with "lock jaw" the other night and went to the dentist where he diagnosed me with TMJ. So, with these two diagnosis' I am trying to keep my head up, but it's hard...really hard.

Regards,

Roy

Old 08-07-2009, 03:34 PM   #15
(female)

nytocaligirl HB User

roy,
first thing you need to do is start reserching the hepatitis c from what i found something as everyday as getting a tattoo could cause the HCV virus to show. TMJ isnt that big of a deal ive had it since i was 6 you are just going to have to learn to eat smaller bites and do some exercisess to stregenthen the muscles around your jaw to keep the disk in place. something as simple as chewing gum every other day can help. hope you are ok

Closed Thread