It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2009, 11:30 AM   #1
(female)

batty123 HB User
Numbness..?

I have little to no joy for life, and honestly it feels like I'm not really here anyway. Time moves very quickly and it's like I'm watching it move and not participating. Weeks and months go by like hours. I have people and things in my life, and I have tried making changes to my life.. started grad school, traveled out of the country a few times, attempted to have a meaningful and loving relationship with someone.. But nothing really helps. I still have flashbacks and the nightmares are terrible, I can barely sleep and I think that's a part of it, but sleeping meds make it worse. I have tried therapy and meds and CBT and just CHANGING, but I honestly just don't feel like I'm here. It's like I don't exist.

I have been diagnosed with depression before and this doesn't feel like depression.. It's just nothing. I can do anything and don't feel anything. Maybe it's a self preserving thing, like some superbarrior to prevent pain, but I want to feel again :/

I honestly feel like I am wasting my gifts. I feel like I have a lot to contribute but can't. In most respect I am an incredibly lucky person, I have everything I need and more, and I feel guilty that I am not able to appreciate it. I made a bad decision a long time ago that led me to where I am and I can't let it go. i should be thrilled with my life and what I've been able to do since the events... but I can't feel anything. I keep saying .. if i keep pushing myself to achieve, to do new things, meet new people, change change change.. at some point it will get better. And maybe it will? It's been a few years now of ups and downs. Ups and downs I can handle, but the feeling of nothing is completely new.

I don't know what to do, but I just wanted to get it off of my chest. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2009, 08:24 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

reg12 HB User
Re: Numbness..?

Hi batty,
I think since you chose this board, together with flash backs and nightmares there may be a little something else besides depression. It is possible that you did not get the therapy that was correct for your needs. Take care.

Old 08-25-2009, 02:55 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

isitme HB Userisitme HB User

Aww, hugs to you. (I knew that feeling so well). I believe 'numbness' is our brains way of protecting ourselves from our feelings......... as the pain of what we endured is/was so bad. When the time is right, recovery will be possible and the 'numbness' feeling will subside. In hindsight, I now know the numbness feeling was actually dissociation I was experiencing, since childhood! and the depression I had was in fact ptsd. There is the saying - it gets worse before it gets better, by which I mean, all past events have to be worked through, not brushed aside. A very hard thing to go though, but well worth it once on the other side. Take care of yourself. Take things slowly. You will get there in the end.

Old 08-29-2009, 07:28 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

maybecrazy HB User

Numbness is a normal response that the body and mind do to protect yourself till its safe for you to feel again.

there are many different types of therapy - and my T seems to know them all lol

you have to find what works for you my friend - and oyu will - if you keep trying -

i know it feels like you are not connected to life - that things dont touch you - but they can again - therapy is hard but worthwhile - i would not be here without it.

that and the friends i have made here - you can get apst this - we will sit with you if you want us to - take care MBC (hugs if ok)

Maybecrazy

Closed Thread