It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2010, 02:22 PM   #1
(female)

AmVan HB User
Flashbacks or Memories - Pls. Help

Im not sure if I'm having flashbacks or am dealing with suppressed memories from childhood abuse issues. Are flashbacks like what you see on TV where there's a flash and then you're kind of stuck in the memory (I've had a similar exprience with being stuck but not knowing the content of it - real strange) Or could it be like a memory coming to you that you are just recalling.

I've expeienced triggers very often but I block them just as soon as they come up and don't see what my mind is trying to tell me.

Which way is it, pease. Feedback would be incrediably helpful. I see my tdoc tomorrow but have never felt comfortable enough to talk about it.
Maybe PTSD isn't an issue with me, but something else instead.
Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2010, 08:24 AM   #2
(female)

AmVan HB User
Re: Flashbacks or Memories - Pls. Help

I talked to my tdoc about this issue and will post his answer here in hopes it will help someone with the same issues. Basiciy he said there are these "flashes" and it can be just memories and everything in between. He went into detail but this should help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2010, 07:28 AM   #3
(female)

KisZoli HB User

hello, My heart goes out to you. I am only a fellow PTSD-survivor & not a doctor but what I can tell you is hang in there. I would definitely suggest that you tell your doctor, or if you feel uncomfortable look up a domestic violence or rape non-profit in your area. They have support and education groups that may help. Again, in my experience & not as a medical professional, have been battling multiple traumas since early childhood (rape, molest, domestic violence as a young adult etc.) I would have flashbacks but kind of push them down. It sounds like that is what you are doing. I have been advised and followed the suggestion-don't dig. Your mind has a way of protecting you from the trauma until it thinks you are ready. Now at 53, I am ready. I am dealing with some heavy-duty stuff. At my age and with 20+ years of sobriety, i CAN deal with it now. I had lone periods of employemnt and functionality-I am not working for a while now but I have hope-for me & for you-that we can get better. I wish you well on your journey.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:37 PM   #4
(female)

AmVan HB User

Thank you for your kind support! That's good advice about a support group and I will follow through. I'm 57 and have 20 years sobriety myself! I've definately learned not to "dig". I used to put so much of my life on hold doing that. I've learned that it will come up with understanding when I'm ready for it. It's amaing how the mind protects us and takes care by revealing this information for healing...in it's due time.
Most of my trauma has been childhood inscest abuse. It's not easy getting through it.

Thanks again, AmVan

Closed Thread