It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2010, 08:49 PM   #1
(male)

equilibrium1 HB User
Exclamation Question

I've had a question for a while, and I guess I'll ask it here. One day in the 7th grade I was walking home, and I'm not going to lie, I was super stoned (I'm a good student and not habitual with use of any drug). I was tackled from behind and assaulted by three large people, who used their hands and feet. They sure as hell went off on my head with no mercy, as well as my back. I escaped with a concussion. Later within the same year I happened to get 2 more head injuries. I think. Maybe 3? That's besides the point, because that goes into a whole other story involving the edge of my sanity.

That was probably the scariest moment of my life. My question is, would it be likely that someone would develop PTSD following an event like that? Already physiologically edging towards fight-or-flight on the hash, would that have made it tons worse? My head's been hit so many times I don't remember what I was like before, but I do know I can get on edge and be very evading at times, and definitely have triggers to anxiety. Actually when I'm around people I can get very anxious in general. I guess I've don't have a lot of trust in people I don't know very well too? That hit me a while after it happened though. Then the years following I've also gone through some emotionally jarring events involving close friends. It's been 3 years now, and I'd say I've improved for the most part but thats not so near 100%. Don't think I'll be seeing anyone. I've always been good at working with my mind, and unconditional love for everything is surfacing as I do.

Just thought I'd ask that question. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by equilibrium1; 07-31-2010 at 09:07 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2010, 06:23 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Question

Almost any kind of trauma can cause PTSD but since it is part of the anxiety spectrum of disorders, it's more likely you suffer from generalized anxiety disorder.

With PTSD, you might find yourself in a state of panic whenever someone walked up from behind you to the point where you can't go out. Or you might start to feel a lot of fear every time you get a headache as you find yourself re-living the attack. PTSD has some very specific issues that most don't have with generalized anxiety.

It certainly didn't help you but neither did the hash use. In an under-developed brain, hash can do more damage that you think. Saw a lot of it back in the 60's. And acid flashbacks that never stopped when used at too young an age. The drug use probably has far more to do with it. You don't have to be addicted to have it damage your brain. After all, the human brain doesn't stop developing until you're in your 20's and even random drug use can damage it and stop development in certain areas.

I'm not anti-drugs but I did spend 2 1/2 years in a residential psych hospital in the late 60's early 70's and I saw a whole lot of young kids like myself really messed up from drug use. And a lot of them had permanent brain damage. Many were from wealthy and famous families and even got the drugs from mom and dad but because they were so young, they got the permanent damage and the old folks didn't. Mom and pop were "shocked" and the kid is a mush brain for life.

good luck in dealing with all of it........Jenny

Old 08-03-2010, 09:14 AM   #3
(male)

equilibrium1 HB User
Smile Re: Question

Thanks, that's a good explanation. For a long time after the event, I would completely avoid the street it happened on, and dodge people that looked remotely like my attackers. My mind wasn't done assessing what happened to it until a while after that year when there was a period where my head wasn't so injured. I'm pretty sure my 3rd injury of that year brought out most of the anxiety. In 9th grade my anxiety got to a point where I was contemplating being medicated but a I said, I worked mentally on it.

And yes, I know marijuana (especially the more potent forms) can be damaging to the young brain and hinder growth of the limbic system and stunt synaptic pruning, etc. I used it very infrequently, and when use increased I decided to stop and give it a rest. I picked it back up every now and then in 8th grade, but decided my life was more rich without it. But the drug use is not the sole factor in my anxiety, though it could have been one of them. Being attacked in combination with the profound effects of the hash and the series of head injuries probably surfaced a dormant anxiety disorder (which I'd say I am doing well on getting over with through thinking, meditation, and other aids).

Psychedelics are a whole other issue. Physiologically, they have very minimal effects on the brain. From what I've seen, most adolescents abuse the drugs out of irresponsibility, hence the mental instability.

For mental acuity, I've decided that for most of next year, I am doing no drugs. Weed is too middle school (and negatives outweigh positives), ecstasy too adulterated this time of year, and I am through with psychedelics for now, though they have helped immensely with issues as well as my state of well being.

I go through ups and downs about that whole situation. I posted this thread on one of my downs. These days I meditate, play my instrument, and ponder life in general to completely throw the past behind me and create a great next school year.

Last edited by equilibrium1; 08-03-2010 at 10:11 AM.

Closed Thread