It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2010, 05:48 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy101 HB User
Starting EMDR Today and Very Nervous

I have been through CBT, talk therapy, meds for years for anxiety, panic and depression. It has been brought to my attention by my current therapist that I display many of the PTSD symptoms. Another psychologist in her office is an EMDR therapist and suggested I stop the talk therapy for a bit and try this new therapy.

I am so nervous. I want so badly for it to work so I can stop being so miserable. I have heard it can make people worse too which really scares me.

Has anyone here tried EMDR??

Old 09-08-2010, 07:47 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

maybecrazy HB User
Re: Starting EMDR Today and Very Nervous

yes ive tried it - it was helpful - dont ask me how - its a strange thing - you follow the therapists finger or a pencil wiht your eyes not moving your head and she or he talks to you - there was also some tapping of ingers and clicking of fingers - i was really dubious about it but it did help - unfortunatley i get migraines and it triggered one so my therapist wouldnt do it again even though i asked her to

Another therapy i tried that worked was EFT Emotional freedon techniques - this is another strange one - you repeat phrases and they tap on different places on your face and hands - this helped me a lot too although once again i wasnt so sure about trying it

but i wouldtry almost anythihg once to get rid of this PTSD i have had CBT, EFT, NLP, EMDR, Hypnotherapy, mostly done by the same therapist that i trusted - all except the emdr which i went to another therapist for .

everything helped a little and i am much better than i was 4 years ago - let us know how you go - the main thing is to ask about the therapy and if you are unsure or scared make sure the therapist knows so they can set your mind at ease - and remember you can stop anytime you want to - that is your right

take care and keep in touch ok

MBC

Maybecrazy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2010, 10:07 PM   #3
(female)

Naps With Cats HB User

I have been through EMDR with a great Psychologist (female) and it was really starting to bring some stuff up after I became accustomed to it.

It's not any type of hypnotism or anything like that, it's a way of forcing you to use both your right brain and your left brain when the Psychologist slowly waves some type of pencil, pen, that size of object to the furtherest right peripheral of your site and then back to the furtherest left peripheral of your eyesite so you are using your creative side and logical side of the brain at the same time.

Just make sure your EMDR person is highly experienced in trauma issues. Ask whatever questions you need to in order to feel safe.

It's definitely a non-threatening in any way procedure (except my Psychologist was pointing the pen a little too much towards my face and it triggered the poo-poo out of me because anything pointy reminds me of a knife and I have to hold my neck to protect it. So I told her on teh first day, and she obliged (of course).

I ran out of money (and a job) so had to stop when it was really starting to work and get up stuff that's been hidden (I disassociate very often) and once it's up, we can work through how to deal with it.

It'll be a good experience, I'm guessing! )

Old 01-16-2011, 08:48 AM   #4
(female)

Brianasoccer HB User

I tired to do emdr therapy and the therapist was really nice but it wasn't for me. It was more traumatizing than helpful because I had to keep thinking about the experiences I had and somehow it didn't seem to help at all.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:57 AM   #5
(female)

Kaddi HB User

Hi am Kaddi I am thinking about going to EDMR as well but I am nervous about it as well I am on a hunt for more information as well.I will let you know what I find stand by.

Closed Thread