It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2003, 01:58 PM   #1
Inactive

Sahuja HB User
Post NIGHTMARES A SYMPTOM???

Hi,
I experienced extreme emotional trauma with my mother for many years. It REALLY damaged me mentally and emotionally and continues to do so. It resulted in an unsuccessful suicide attempt and therapy 3 months ago. The only problem is that I still have this horrid fear. Also, I have started having nightmares a couple times a week which pretty much simulate what happened to me, and I experience the same emotions. I had a nightmare two days ago, where I woke up talking in my sleep yelling for my mom to stop. My own voice woke me up. I was so freaked after that and couldnt fall alseep for awhile. The dream just brought back memories and I was on the verge of tears. I calmed myself down, put my arms around my husband (who was not awakened) and went to sleep. Is this a common symptom of PTSD?? I cant go and see my therapist for another two weeks. Help!

Old 06-07-2003, 08:43 AM   #2
Inactive

LoveBug HB User
i would think that that would definitely be a result of your PTSD. I wouldn't know how to make it stop tho. i hope your therapist has some advice for you.
Take care,
-Bugs

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2003, 01:52 PM   #3

audicat7 HB User
Yes it is related. I battled them for years. Can you not call your therapist and get in sooner? I use to have a friend I called at night who would talk to me until I calmed down and felt safe to go back to sleep. This may not help now but it does get better.
Best of Luck!

Old 07-05-2003, 05:14 PM   #4

Glenda/Bill HB User
Call your therapist and tell them you are having a crisis. They may can call you in some anti-anxiety pills such as Xanax. It will help you to sleep better also. When I go thru a slump, I have horrible nightmares. Things usually trigger them, like shows where women are abused or children are. I have learned to just turn them off and watch something else.
It takes awhile to understand what triggers your flashback, and I still have difficulty. I know my husband is wanting to watch something so I pick up a book to read. He now knows I can't stand it and he is very sympathetic to me. He knows how my 1st husband abused me. Its great living with someone who cares!

Closed Thread