It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2003, 04:53 PM   #1

bjcan HB User
Angry 4 year old child in auto accident

When my son was 4 years old, now 6 we were in a auto accident. My son, daughter and I were struck from the rear while sitting still at an intersection waiting for the traffic going the opposite direction to pass so that we could make a turn. The auto that rammed us from the rear was going approximately 35 to 40 miles per hour, an SUV. I was also driving a SUV.

My daughter and I were seen at the ER. I had a mini-stroke and I was very confused. My daughter was banged up and was very confused. She and I were not in the same room. One of the nurses were with my son, but he was not seen by a physician. We were all transported to the ER via ambulance, my daughter and I both on back boards.

My son was not checked out at the ER because he didn't seem to have any physical injuries.

He has nightmares all the time and is terrified when we are near the scene of the accident. He talks about the wreck often and he gets extemely uptight when he hears an ambulance or see a police car.

Is this post traumatic stress that he is going through? It seems to be better now, but he still has nightmares and often screams in his sleep. I wonder what I need to do about this? Will it eventually go away?

Old 09-04-2003, 10:57 AM   #2

Tigre HB User
Hi,
First i want to say that im sorry that you all sufferend through that. Yes it sounds just like your son has PTSD. I recommend that you take him to a psychologist and let him know exactly what you told us here. No it doesnt just go away and he needs the help to deal with the trauma that you all went through. Im 33 and have just been diagnosed with PTSD and its hard to handle emotions for me so as a child his fear must be moreso. What he experienced through his eyes and all was very traumatizing...seeing you his parent and also sister in ambulences and the activity of the paramedics and doctors...thats traumatizing enough for an adult let alone a 4 yr old...he must have been terrified! Im so sorry for that. Please take him to a psychologist to get some help...ptsd is a disorder that needs treatment. Please let me know how he does. God Bless you and your family.

Tigre

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread