It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2003, 01:11 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Micheybell HB User
Post 9/11 survivors??

I am 24 years old. I worked in 2 World Trade Center, 99th Floor. And was present on 9/11. I was curious to know if there is anyone else who is also a survivor and felt up to talking about their current status and how they are dealing w/ their post traumatic stress.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2003, 06:01 AM   #2

rockrgrrrl HB User
It good to learn your not alone with 9-11 related PTSD. I know there must be many, many of us out there, and I believe that most are suffering alone because no one wants to recognize these people as victims. How many times have you heard "get over it,you survived", or "you're giving the terrorists what they want."? Even the most supportive family and friends can't really relate, no matter how hard they try. It seems only those that were there, and are suffering, can understand. You can see it in our eyes. I do hope you have a support group.

Me? I can't function. I had to leave my job even though it was held it for me until February of this year. I'm still too sick. Can't sleep. If I can manage some....nightmares. Everything is gone...income, savings, pension, medical, home in foreclosure, and the person I once was. Can't think, can't concentrate. Flashbacks, panic attacks, and so on. The psychiatrists and therapists are unequipped to really help. They never had to deal with a crisis of this magnitude. They just keep increasing medication. I was always a strong person before that day. I constantly beat myself up because I'm not dealing. I never realized that PTSD can be so disabling.

There are people in my group that are planning a trip to Washington, but we have been unable to locate other PTSD sufferers.

Please let me know how you are doing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2003, 02:22 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Micheybell HB User
I'm sorry to hear that you are not doing well. At least you are not alone, I know it helps to have people to relate to and talk to. I'm doing alot better than I've have been doing. Everyday it seems to get alittle better. The sorrow and pain will never go away neither will the images that have embedded themselves into my mind. (I saw alot of terrible things once I exited the building that day. Things that I had only saw in horror movies but WORSE a thousand times worse. I never knew what it was like to be that scared.) I hate those people for doing that to us.

It was the most horrifying experience I could have ever imagined. I will pray for you and wish you continued strength.

I'm here to talk if you ever need someone "else".

All the best,
Michele

Old 09-05-2003, 11:34 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Micheybell HB User
I have not had a chance to get back to you. I hope you are doing better. 9/11 is approaching once again. The year seems to fly by - I remember last year on 9/11 like it was yesterday.

I'm hanging in, doing really well (I think). The hardest part right now is still dealing w/ the loss of loved ones. There are days that I take myself right back to that day. Sometimes I feel like thinking about everything that happened that day and the "what if's and what if not's".

That major blackout on the East Coast did a number to alot of us here. We walked down 37 flights in pitch darkness (there were no emergency lights in our stairwell). It brought me right back to that day. I had a breakdown after I got myself to the ground. Things like that tend to really set me back but I've been trying so hard to keep myself focused on getting through it.

I hope you are feeling better than when you last posted. I will keep you in my prayers. Be strong and you have support from me if you ever need it.

Talk to you soon.

Old 09-11-2003, 01:39 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Kimianne HB User
Today marks the second anniversary of that terrible day. For months I could not discuss 9/11 with anyone without breaking down.

No I was not there nor did I know anybody there. To me it was about this great country and all of those lost and people like you that have to deal with this on a daily basis.

So I hope you don't mind that I stopped by this thread to say GOD BLESS YOU ALL!

I hope things get better for you. You have all suffered so much.

Take care and God Bless!

------------------
Kimi
Life is a gift. Your loved ones are the benefits.
Respect them both and you will reap the rewards.

Old 07-30-2004, 12:28 PM   #6

Hey Joe HB User
Re: 9/11 survivors??

Hello Micheybell, I just joined this board so I just saw your post from last year. We are rapidly approaching the third anniversary now. I was there for all three collapses. I was in the Fire Department. How are you doing now? Have you had any medical problems? I have had numerous respiratory infections, asthma develop and my feet, legs and hands have or are going numb. IM out of a job now at 47, something I never expected. Take Care.'

Joe

Old 07-30-2004, 01:53 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
Re: 9/11 survivors??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micheybell
I am 24 years old. I worked in 2 World Trade Center, 99th Floor. And was present on 9/11. I was curious to know if there is anyone else who is also a survivor and felt up to talking about their current status and how they are dealing w/ their post traumatic stress.

My total heart to you. I wasnt' present in the 9/11 but I suffer from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. I have had quite a bit of trauma in my life. I'm lending my hand to you as a friend, so feel to vent all you want to us who haven't been involved. Either way, to vent and help yourself, you do not have to involve yourself with other sufferers who have suffered the same trauma. Trauma is trauma. How are you feeling? What are your mental, emotional and physical symptoms?

Andrea

Closed Thread