It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2011, 07:10 PM   #1
(female)

vetparatrooper HB User
Introducing myself

Hi I am new here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hello, I am new here and just got out of the military in 2008. I was medically retired due to an injury suffered overseas and I have also been diagnosed with PTSD/Acute Anxiety Disorder/Depression/Medication resistant Insomnia. I am just looking for people who might have had similar diagnosis to speak with as I am fairly isolated in my small town. I have not lived here in the last 18+ years and I have no family left so I am pretty isolated.

I have a problem being around a lot of people anyways so maybe it is a good thing I am so islolated;although there are times I wish I had someone to speak with. I was injured in Iraq and spent ten months in the hospital and finally was medically retired. It has been a hard adjustment being back here stateside because none of my family is living and I am pretty isolated. Although when I do attempt to get around people I end up feeling extremely uncomfortable and i just want to bury my head in the sand. As well I am in a group with alot of vets from Vietnam and they are almost resentful of me and the other OIF/OEF veterans because they think we got too many thanks for what we did . I got medically retired due to an injury received and while that is not good, I still am considerd 100% totally and permantly disabled.\
I feel like my life no longer has any purpose whatsoever.

Then again there are older veterans who after hearing in group about some of the things I accomplished and some of the deployments I went on - well -- they eventually change their minds... at least a a little bit. I never used to get uptight about anything but when I was wounded by enemy action (an IED on the side of the road) I started getting uptight around crowds and such...I have not even got my cable hooked up since i have been here because i do not want them to come into the house. I know it was complete pranoia probably but still it was not an option to allow a cable guy into my home.

Anyway I am looking for some ways to cope. The VA is okay here but you have to wait a month in beween sessions in order to see anyone one-on-one. So for now I am stuck with group.

Any suggestions you all might have to become more comfortable at this time would be very much appreciative.
I do not know what I expect to get out of any of this but I hope that I am making the right decision to post on this forum.
ANyway that is who I am and If you want to respond I will definitely be open to new experiences.
Take care and thanks for listening.

The following user gives a hug of support to vetparatrooper:
mwat28645 (02-16-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2011, 07:33 AM   #2
(male)

boricuarage HB User
hey how you doing..
I know this is a post from January, but we suffer pretty much the same disability...
I been out since 04 and diagnoised with PTSD,anxiety, and somatization disorder...
I was hit with mortar sharpnel, luckily it only left me a scar on my arm...
I wasn't to educated with all the benefits and now I'm just finishing up my VA disability with my last exam(mental) coming up soon..
crowded places? you can forget about it.. I can not do it.. very anti-social with very little friends..
I'm on meds and they help just a little bit...
anyways hope all is well and keep fighting the good fight..
best advise I can give is talking to someone about it...

Closed Thread