It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2011, 05:44 AM   #1
(female)

Aberlaine9 HB User
Anxiety

When you have been diagnosed with PTSD, does it cause depression and anxiety attacks? I've taken antidepression drugs most of my life and am now taking Cymbalta, 60mg. It controls my fibromyalgia but not my anxiety attacks. I find I need to take Klonopin for those.

Will I ever be off these drugs or should I live with depression and anxiety and accept them as my "friends"?

Old 06-07-2011, 05:15 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User
Re: Anxiety

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aberlaine9 View Post
When you have been diagnosed with PTSD, does it cause depression and anxiety attacks?

Will I ever be off these drugs or should I live with depression and anxiety and accept them as my "friends"?
Hello Aberlaine,

Many with PTSD also exhibit syptoms of both depression and anxiety.

Though I can't tell whether or not you will be required to take these meds indefinitely,I would ask you to try to view the "other side of the fence"....

life without meds;at the moment(perish the thought).

We ingest and/or inject meds on a daily basis and they infiltrate our system.

For this reason, I would tend to view them as "companions" even though I understand where they can be viewed as "friends."

Try to look at it from a responsibility point of view,which in turn enhances your quality of living.

Respectfully,
Phoenix

The following user gives a hug of support to Phoenix:
Aberlaine9 (06-07-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2011, 03:44 PM   #3
(female)

Aberlaine9 HB User

I visited both my therapist and doctor today. They agree that if I don't start dealing with my PTSD issues, I'll end up living this way for the rest of my life.

I'll start taking Abilify tomorrow and I've contacted my brother - the only other person who experienced what I did as a child. I hope we can help each other.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:40 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunnyrise HB Usersunnyrise HB Usersunnyrise HB Usersunnyrise HB Usersunnyrise HB Usersunnyrise HB Usersunnyrise HB Usersunnyrise HB Usersunnyrise HB User

Hi Aberlaine,

Yes, depression and anxiety are part of PTSD at least for me. I think depression in my case is anger turned inward and since my accident I AM angry that this happened to me and always have to remind myself that it was not my fault..

Bad things happen to good people and it's simply how life is... I think it's a great idea to start facing your fears in order to help deal with them instead of avoidance... I find when I avoid I get worse but when I try to do something about it I feel better...

Good luck to you!
Sunny

Old 07-07-2011, 10:43 PM   #5
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User

Quote:
I visited both my therapist and doctor today. They agree that if I don't start dealing with my PTSD issues, I'll end up living this way for the rest of my life.

I'll start taking Abilify tomorrow and I've contacted my brother - the only other person who experienced what I did as a child. I hope we can help each other.
Aberlaine,

Avoidance is a normal reaction.

Take small steps and the journey will become less burdensome,eventually.

Know that we're always here for advice and support,if and when you need it.

Has your brother been in therapy?

I ask that because reliving the past can have certain repercussions,depending on the individual.

I truly hope that both of you can benefit from each other.

Sending prayers your way,
Phoenix

Old 03-30-2012, 11:27 AM   #6
(female)

Arianna2 HB UserArianna2 HB UserArianna2 HB UserArianna2 HB UserArianna2 HB UserArianna2 HB User

Quote:
When you have been diagnosed with PTSD, does it cause depression and anxiety attacks? I've taken antidepression drugs most of my life and am now taking Cymbalta, 60mg.(
Aberlaine, I also have PTSD and have depression and anxiety that goes hand in hand. My dr has recently put me on Cymbalta. 30mg for 2 weeks, then increase to 60mg. Did you notice a big change when you went to 60mg? I had to stop taking 60 because it gave me too may symptoms, that triggered my PTSD. I am now taking 20mg in the morning, and 20mg at night. This seems to be better right now..

What was your experience going on the Cymbalta?

Thanks

Closed Thread