It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2011, 06:56 PM   #1
(male)

wheres hope HB User
Post please help me overcome my ptsd

Hi all need to post and dont know where to turn at this point in my life, I am 47 twice divorced and am struggling to keep from crying and feeling absolutely worthless. My ptsd comes from a childhood of physical, emotional and sexual abuse, I would never admit to myself that I suffered greatly from these abuses but I am trying to break through this self contained wall I have placed myself in over the past 4 years. I havent laughed in quite a while and need to figure out how to get back into where I love myself and care for others. I do wonder how others overcome these forms of self deprecation.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:13 AM   #2
(female)

kaka8255 HB User
Re: please help me overcome my ptsd

We have a similar childhood history. I've done the whole counselling thing on and off for years and have a dx of complex-ptsd. It's only been within the last 2 years that I've finally found a counselor that doesn't waste my time and their's. Several of my friends have had long term ptsd diagnosis' and they have also improved greatly after finding the right counselor & doing EMDR therapy. What worked for me was being referred to a counselor that practices EMDR and is blunt. Everyone has their own preference to what type of counselor they'd like to have and how they best retain information. Find one that works for you. Major changes in life can be ptsd triggers. I'm sure you've hit "rock bottom" in your life several times, especially having that type of history and going through 2 divorces.... you know that you're strong enough to get back up and do the work to be happy with yourself and with life. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2012, 06:28 AM   #3
(female)

bella voce HB User
Re: please help me overcome my ptsd

(((hugs))))
I was also a victim of childhood abuse, then my ex-husband had a bad temper and triggered my PTSD towards the end of our marriage.
For me, the most important things have been to trust my doctors, see a psychiatrist and a therapist (and not just a primary care physician), and try to have friends surrounding me who try to understand what I'm going through.

I had different therapists for short periods of time (for the most part) for years, most of them helpful, then one for about five years during and after my divorce who was a huge help. I have a lot of issues with anxiety, and she got her Ph.D. in psychology, specializing in anxiety. It was like she knew most of what I'd been through before I had told her. *But* it's still important, once you find someone who is helpful, to work on trying to communicate well. Don't feel bad about possibly going through several therapists before you find the right one. You may be lucky and find a good fit right at first, though. You never know.

And don't ever give up. There are always more steps that can be taken. If one way doesn't work, try another. Take a break when you need to. You will get through this.

Closed Thread