It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2011, 11:29 AM   #1
(female)

twin2beat HB User
PTSD or overreacting?

Hi, I am thinking I have PTSD but I am not sure and thought I could get some advice on if I should seek counseling. In June of this year my husband and I went out for a run. 9 months before this he had passed out on a run and came into the apartment all scratched up and had a concussion, I have been worried ever since that it would happen again. This time we went on a run together as I do not let him run alone after last time. It was 21 min into the run when I rounded a corner and saw my husband lying on the gravel road up ahead. I ran as fast as I could up to him. There was blood on the ground next to him from his head when he hit the ground. He had horrible road rash on his back after falling as he runs faster than most people.
As I ran up to him I was shouting his name and asking if he was ok, no response. When I got up to him I realized he was having a full blown grand mal seizure; his body was rigid, his eyes were searching the sky for no reason, and he was gasping for air that wouldn't come. I ran and found someone to call 911, it seemed like forever before the EMT's got there. He kept saying "help me, please help me" I kept telling him I was and the ambulance would be there soon. He couldn't stay with me dozing in and out of being awake. He didn't make any since when he talked and told the EMT's his name was Trevor... not even close. We went to the ER after and to tell you the truth adrenaline was still pumping through my body. After they got him cleaned up and I took him home, I didn't feel anything. He had to get stitches and had a severe concussion; which I didn't understand why they were sending him home for me to watch him intently all night long. I was numb inside for weeks, after a month I was able to feel emotions again but still no happiness.

It's been about 3 months now and we moved since then about 1000+miles away and it helps a little but everyday I relive that moment. I usually cant fall asleep until 2 or 3am because I am thinking about it; about him wondering if he will be ok and wake up in the morning like the night I brought him home from the ER and had to watch him and make sure he woke up every 2 hrs. I know it didn't happen to me but it feels like it did; I was so helpless I couldn't do anything to make it stop. Do you think this PTSD or am I just overreacting? Thanks for any help or advice.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2011, 03:35 PM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User
Re: PTSD or overreacting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin2beat View Post
Hi, I am thinking I have PTSD but I am not sure and thought I could get some advice on if I should seek counseling. We went to the ER after and to tell you the truth adrenaline was still pumping through my body.I was numb inside for weeks, after a month I was able to feel emotions again but still no happiness.

It's been about 3 months now and we moved since then about 1000+miles away and it helps a little but everyday I relive that moment. I usually cant fall asleep until 2 or 3am because I am thinking about it; about him wondering if he will be ok and wake up in the morning like the night I brought him home from the ER and had to watch him and make sure he woke up every 2 hrs. I know it didn't happen to me but it feels like it did; I was so helpless I couldn't do anything to make it stop. Do you think this PTSD or am I just overreacting? Thanks for any help or advice.
Hello twin2beat,

Please know that anyone who was a victim,has been exposed to or witnessed a life-threatening situation can possess the symptoms of PTSD.

Symptoms include repeatedly thinking about the traumatic situation,being constantly on guard or alert and the avoidance of reminders of the traumatic situation.

Other symptoms to consider include:a) panic attacks,physical symptoms being exhibited,such as chronic pain.

b) Feelings of mistrust,depression,problems functioning well in daily situations,relationship problems and substance abuse.

c) substance abuse and suicidal ideations.......

If you are ever feeling suicidal,please call 911 or go to the nearest ER immediately.

You don't need to experience every symptom to be diagnosed as having PTSD but being able to relate to them will better help you articulate your concerns,which in turn will help your therapist to make a proper diagnosis for beneficial treatment.

I do believe you will benefit from therapy as it is my opinion that you have symptoms of PTSD.

Respectfully
Phoenix

Last edited by Phoenix; 09-01-2011 at 03:56 PM.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:49 PM   #3
(female)

twin2beat HB User

Pheonix,

Thank you for the reply, talking has helped out immensely and I have started sleeping normally without reliving the experience over again. I do have a question, I have tried talking to my husband about all of this but he is not understanding and gets mad. He just says that he doesn't want to hear about it because he couldn't help the incident since he didn't know what was going on. I have also explained that I do not want him running again because of what happened, even though he is now on medication. He flat out refuses to listen and went running the other day. I went with him only because I had no choice it was let him run alone and have something bad happen maybe, or run with him and be miserable. It was a horrible experience and I could not even enjoy the beautiful weather and I kept looking at him the whole time wondering if he was just going to fall over and start having another seizure (thankfully he was fine and there were no problems). My question, Is there a better way to approach this with my husband to have him understand where I am coming from? Other than the therapist (who advised talking to him about it) I have no one else to talk to about it and as my husband he is usually the only support I have. Thanks for your help

Old 09-27-2011, 01:39 PM   #4
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin2beat View Post
. I do have a question, I have tried talking to my husband about all of this but he is not understanding and gets mad. He just says that he doesn't want to hear about it because he couldn't help the incident since he didn't know what was going on. I have also explained that I do not want him running again because of what happened, even though he is now on medication. He flat out refuses to listen and went running the other day.
You have to look out for yourself,first and foremost.

Without you,there would be no one to look out for him;I get that but if circumstances happen beyond your control to you.... please think about that for a moment.

If he is going to be stubborn or close-minded,there's not much you can do for him to understand.

Please do what you need to do for yourself,without involving him..... then he'll begin to see the error of his ways.

Respectfully
Phoenix

Closed Thread