It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2012, 08:43 PM   #1
(male)

valheruashen HB User
Combat and stress related PTSD

in my career in the military I spent 8 years on and off the DMZ in South Korea (very high pucker factor), one tour in kosovo in 99 and both Gulf wars and Afghanistan and my last two units were high deployment combat units. I didnt realize it at the time but I was drinking about a gallon of whiskey each weekend just to get some dreamless and somewhat restful sleep. After I retired I got a job handling accounts at a morgage firm until one day a co-worker grabbed me by the shoulder and yelled Allah Akbar and I put him through an office dividing window without even thinking about it. When the police came I asked them to take me to the VA because something wasnt right. After two weeks of hospital time and observation I was diagnosed with PTSD along with Adjustment Disorder. They tried all different kinds of drugs and then they put me on risperidione, and ambien and a few I cant remember. The meds werent working, I would fly off the handle at the slightest provication, my depression worsened and I just wanted to give up, then a few months ago a study was published saying that risperidone has the same effect as the placebo in a double blind study. I went off on the VA docs yelling at them for making me think I was crazy and here it was the meds might as well have been sugar pills. So now they have me on Xanax, Zoloft and Valproic acid and it seems to be working so far. Will keep you updated

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2012, 06:20 PM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User
Re: Combat and stress related PTSD

Hello valheruashen,

I sure hope that the new meds will provide you with relief.

Have you considered seeing a therapist, to discuss certain issues with and possibly help reduce the intensity of your symptoms?

Please don't hesitate to respond at your earliest convenience, if you are up to it.

Respectfully
Phoenix

Old 02-07-2012, 05:40 PM   #3
(male)

larrypttngll HB User
Re: Combat and stress related PTSD

I take the same meds except for Xanax, made me feel like Buddha. Medication is good, unfortunately with PTSD the counseling is just as important. Dealing with serious PTSD on an outpatient basis did not work. The first thing I wanted to do when I got home was medicate. The VA has some excellent clinics devoted for this issue. Four to six weeks, The only people there are there for the same reason. You will make some lifelong friends. I like that no one goes into specific details except with their assigned counselor.

Closed Thread