It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2012, 07:14 PM   #1
(female)

sylviasix HB User
I need help! I am emotionally numb!

Hi there!

I am new to this board. I have been diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia and Chronic Lyme disease. Many, many symptoms over lap in the different diagnoses however I have only heard about emotional numbness with PTSD. I have been emotionally numb for over three years. This was about 6 months after losing my career and home to illness.

My grandfather who raised me died and I couldn't cry. I couldn't feel sadness. My daughter had a child and I didn't feel any joy. I don't feel any connection with the baby and I am ashamed to say that I can not feel love for the baby. I don't know how much longer I can go on like this. I am no longer me. I use to have the best personality but it is gone.

I have a psychiatrist who is aware of this. He is constantly switching my meds but nothing is helping.

Has anyone had this happen to them? If you have gotten better and can feel again can you tell me what helped you? I am so desperate! This is no way to live!

Thank you so much for your time! Many well wishes to you!

Old 05-03-2012, 10:45 PM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User
Re: I need help! I am emotionally numb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylviasix View Post
Hi there!

I am new to this board. I have been diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia and Chronic Lyme disease. Many, many symptoms over lap in the different diagnoses however I have only heard about emotional numbness with PTSD. I have been emotionally numb for over three years. This was about 6 months after losing my career and home to illness.

My grandfather who raised me died and I couldn't cry. I couldn't feel sadness. My daughter had a child and I didn't feel any joy. I don't feel any connection with the baby and I am ashamed to say that I can not feel love for the baby. I don't know how much longer I can go on like this. I am no longer me. I use to have the best personality but it is gone.

I have a psychiatrist who is aware of this. He is constantly switching my meds but nothing is helping.

Has anyone had this happen to them? If you have gotten better and can feel again can you tell me what helped you? I am so desperate! This is no way to live!

Thank you so much for your time! Many well wishes to you!
Here's the thing with meds....they may or may not work and have the potential to numb a person's feelings.
Of course they don't always place this on the box but when they do it often goes unnoticed.
Please elaborate more and I will do what I can.

Phoenix

The Following User Says Thank You to Phoenix For This Useful Post:
sylviasix (05-06-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2012, 07:03 AM   #3
(female)

Arianna2 HB UserArianna2 HB UserArianna2 HB UserArianna2 HB UserArianna2 HB UserArianna2 HB User

Silivasix, I could have written your post myself. I also have no emotion where it should be. I also don't cry when I should and fake feelings with my kids and grandkids. I do everything to get out of being with people and dont have friends, and dont care. My doc says I am "sleepwalking through life", and it is a perfect description of me.

I think this must be common with people who have PTSD? My son is having a birthday party for my grandaughter today. I was to bring baked beans. On Friday I became sick like the flu. Called my son last night to say we weren't coming and after I hung up, it was like a weight had been lifted. I am going to therapy for this (again) because deep into my heart I hate who I am with my own family. I know I love them, and remember being happy to see them, but just cant do it.

You are not alone. Hugs to you

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Arianna2
Phoenix (05-06-2012), sylviasix (05-06-2012)
Old 05-06-2012, 08:55 PM   #4
(female)

sylviasix HB User

Thanks Arianna2 and Phoenix!!

Phoenix the meds that I thought it could be I have gotten off of. I guess there is a possibility of one other med (Trazadone) doing this but my doctor said it was unlikely. I am going to give it a try any way. I'm happy to get off all of my medications with the exception of one without it I have total insomnia. I started taking that one 4 1/2 years before these symptoms started though. The medicine is called Xyrem. If you have any other suggestions let me know. Thanks for your response!

Arianna2, I am so sorry that you are going through this too! This is no way to live! I'm wondering if you can tell me if therapy works for you. I really really hope that it does! I am going to check around to see if I can find another psychiatrist or therapist who deals with this sort of thing. Take great care!

Super hugs!

Last edited by sylviasix; 05-06-2012 at 08:59 PM. Reason: I had the two names switched around.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:45 PM   #5
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylviasix View Post

Phoenix the meds that I thought it could be I have gotten off of. I guess there is a possibility of one other med (Trazadone) doing this but my doctor said it was unlikely. I am going to give it a try any way. I'm happy to get off all of my medications with the exception of one without it I have total insomnia. I started taking that one 4 1/2 years before these symptoms started though. The medicine is called Xyrem. If you have any other suggestions let me know. Thanks for your response!
Wow,
From what i've read about Xyrem,it is a potent substance.If you don't mind me asking,how effective has it been as of late?
Please do your research on this and be prepared to ask your physician any questions that come to mind.

Think about the possibility of getting a complete physical(blood work included) just to be on the safe side.

Respectfully
Phoenix

Old 05-08-2012, 06:41 PM   #6
(female)

sylviasix HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Wow,
From what i've read about Xyrem,it is a potent substance.If you don't mind me asking,how effective has it been as of late?
Please do your research on this and be prepared to ask your physician any questions that come to mind.

Think about the possibility of getting a complete physical(blood work included) just to be on the safe side.

Respectfully
Phoenix
Hi Phoenix,

I just had my blood work up done and everything was fine with the exception of a low B12. Xyrem has changed my life for the better. I had been on Xyrem years prior to being emotionally numb but I guess you never know. That is the only medicine that I can't give up. Without it I would be bed ridden. It's a scary thing because most insurance companies won't pay for it due to the $5000 a month price tag. I am shocked that our insurance company does because other than the prescription benefit it is a poor health insurance company with a high price tag. I just pray that they will continue to cover it.

I'm trying to wean myself off of the Trazadone to see if that will make a difference even though the doc doesn't think it will. It is the only medication
that I had began the year that it happened that I am still on. I really hope it works!

My psychiatrist thinks that it could be that things in my life were just too traumatizing and this is how my body reacted. I hope not.

Thanks for checking in to things for me!

Last edited by sylviasix; 05-08-2012 at 06:44 PM.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:35 PM   #7
(female)

Silhouettes HB User

Hi, I was googling emotional numbness cures and I found this thread... I have emotional numbness as well as dissociative amnesia from psychological trauma. I've always thought that maybe once I grow up and have kids I'll be able to love them like people always say, but now that I read about you guys my little bubble has been popped. I'm only 15 and still exposed to some psychological stress/trauma everyday. Music helps me ignore the screaming in my house but how do I cure it?

Note that since my family is the cause of my trauma and I'm still with them today, my mom doesn't believe that I have dissociative amnesia or emotional numbness and refuses to take me to a psychologist. Do you think my symptoms will go away once I move out from my family, or will they stay? I don't get flashbacks, only blockage of the memory and excessive protection of emotion.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:36 PM   #8
(female)

Silhouettes HB User

Sorry I posted twice. This used to be a copy of the above message.

Last edited by Silhouettes; 08-08-2012 at 05:40 PM.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:22 AM   #9
(female)

Joose HB User

Hi there

I hope you're still checking this thread. I have been in exactly the same situation, complete emotional numbness, for two years, following a very traumatic psychosis during pregnancy.

I would really like to get in touch with you!

Lucy x

Old 11-08-2012, 05:00 PM   #10
(female)

Silhouettes HB User

Hey Lucy,
I get an email every time someone posts... Traumatic psychosis? I haven't heard of that, and google doesn't offer very much. What is it?
As for the 2 years after pregnancy... Do you never feel emotions for aanyone? What emotions DO you feel, if any at all? Must be hell if you don't feel anything. What about short bursts of emotions? Do you feel love for your child/partner?

Old 01-07-2013, 07:20 PM   #11
(female)

HopeandME HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joose View Post
Hi there

I hope you're still checking this thread. I have been in exactly the same situation, complete emotional numbness, for two years, following a very traumatic psychosis during pregnancy.

I would really like to get in touch with you!

Lucy x
Hi Joose,

I would very much like to get in touch with you in regards to this!! Please let me know if you get this so we can connect. I really need help!

Thanks so much!
HopeandME

Old 01-08-2013, 02:39 AM   #12
(female)

Dana55 HB User

I think you need a new dr......I suffer from PTSD ....got on the right meds and thing aren't great, bit a hell of a lot better. You may have been misdiagnosed ...it certainly happens. If you have health insurance, ask your members services to find you someone who specializes in your condition. Grandchildren are an amazing gift...I have 7 and I know for a fact they are an intrical part of my recovery ( good thing I don't have to pay them LOL!!! ) please think about changing your dr. But what ever you do, don't stop any meds until told to do so, that only leads to more problems !!! Best wishes to you...hang in there, believe me when I say there IS light at the end of that tunnel....

Reply Reply

Tags
chronic fatigue, chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia