It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2012, 01:32 AM   #1
(female)

dbo1 HB User
PTSD from an experience you don't remember?

I would love some advice on this...Is it possible to have PTSD from an experience that you don't remember or have possibly blocked out? I have fears of very specific things, all having to do with one another. I once saw these things being played out in a TV show once and had a full on panic attack. Then, for days afterwards when thinking back to it, would put me right back into another attack. My gut is telling me something may have happened, possibly when I was much younger/a child, but I don't know if that's just my imagination acting up or if something really is going on. Is that possible??

Old 06-06-2012, 09:39 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: PTSD from an experience you don't remember?

It's called repressed memories and it is very real. I had no idea I had been abused until I was 35 years old.

See a therapist and ask if you show the signs of PTSD and if so, consider treatment. The memories may or may not come back but you can learn how to control the resulting panic attacks and fears.

Jenny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2012, 01:07 PM   #3
(female)

dbo1 HB User

Wow, thank you. I didn't even know there was a such thing...If you don't mind me asking, how did you begin to realize you had been abused? As in, what were the first signs? (If this is too personal, by all means you don't have to answer)

Old 06-08-2012, 01:59 PM   #4
(male)

whynotme HB User

I was in therapy for years and the last therapist diagnosed 'complex ptsd' which I understand means a series of traumatic events over a number of years none of which I'm currently able to remember. I'm wondering if I'll ever know what the events were, or if they're important for me to know....

Old 07-03-2012, 05:39 PM   #5
(female)

Dortopia HB User

I have Complex PTSD, too, and some of my memories are what they call "pre-verbal" because I was just an infant when I was abused. In that case, the memories are stored in the cells instead of the memory/ mind.

What help has anyone found for this in "treatment"? I didn't know there even was anything that could help. I was in therapy for years and years without any help, and they never said there even is any. The best I could learn is to try and manage the triggers, which is a daily challenge, to say the least.

Old 09-30-2012, 01:35 AM   #6
(female)

dbo1 HB User

I have yet to seek therapy, as I was waiting to see if there was any truth to what was going on. I recently have discovered that things I always thought just made me uncomfortable, are actually triggers, and are the root of a lot of my anxiety...

Old 03-26-2013, 11:05 AM   #7
(female)

razz berry HB User

I too have had this happen. I went to counseling and the memories started to surface. I was 50 yrs and started having flashbacks where I went back into a childlike state. I didn't remember having been molested as a child but "felt" like something had happened to me. I had a dark feeling inside me would get triggers from my 5 senses that related to the trauma and I would get panic and anxiety attacks. I have recently found out, at age 53, that I was, in fact, molested between the ages of 3 and 5.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:15 PM   #8
(female)

kaylalala HB Userkaylalala HB User

I would like to add in case anyone might be wondering, that it is possible to have remembered some or most of the trauma but also to have lost certain memories at the same time.

I was diagnosed with PTSD at a young age (11) and thought I recalled everything that happened but there were two events I did not remember at all for some reason, even after I had others tell me what they were. I have since gotten both of these memories back a little but not totally.

Reply Reply